Announcement

Collapse

Password resets

See more
See less

Looking for a soundcard...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Looking for a soundcard...

    I'm looking for a cheapish 5.1 or 7.1 PCI-E soundcard. I've not been a fan of Creative cards for a long time, and I'm not too keen on the Asus cards after having a DG that was naff... Which kind of limits my options a bit too much if I'm being realistic. So...

    Out of the Creative X-FI Xtreme and the Xonar DSX cards: Which is gonna be better?

    Have Asus started releasing updates to the drivers yet (last ones I saw for the DG were dated 2009 I think)?
    Why did the chicken cross the road?
    To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

  • #2
    I've got a C -Media one that's about 10 years old which my dad got very cheap, sound quality is brilliant
    I5 2500K @ 4.7GHz| Maximus IV Extreme | 8GB Predator DDR3 | Crossfire Radeon 5850| BeQuiet! L8 630W | Corsair 700D
    Razer Lachesis | Razer Black Widow

    Comment


    • #3
      these drivers (http://brainbit.wordpress.com/2010/0...ified-drivers/) will transform your Xonar..... they are absolutely excellent, and not developed by Asus. I personally have the DG and find it to be an excellent card, given the money.

      Main: Crucial C300 64GB | Phenom II 965 @ 4.0 | 8GB | MSI HD6870 | M4A89GTD USB3 | Xonar DS | VE278Q
      Secondary: Fractal Core 1000 | x2 250 | GTX460 | 2GB | 760GM |
      Server:
      Server 2008 R2 | E6750 | 2GB | 1.5tb
      Bikes: Zesty 314 2012 | Latitude 853 | Tarmac Elite 2012

      Comment


      • #4
        would you not be better listening for it?

        "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
        Plato

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Faz View Post
          these drivers (http://brainbit.wordpress.com/2010/0...ified-drivers/) will transform your Xonar..... they are absolutely excellent, and not developed by Asus. I personally have the DG and find it to be an excellent card, given the money.
          is that just for the DX or will that do the DS too?
          8gb Geil BlackDragon RAM | Radeon 7850 2GB | i7 860 @2.8ghz | ASUS Maximus III Extreme

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Faz View Post
            these drivers (http://brainbit.wordpress.com/2010/0...ified-drivers/) will transform your Xonar..... they are absolutely excellent, and not developed by Asus. I personally have the DG and find it to be an excellent card, given the money.
            I actually tried the unified drivers during my time with the DG... Didn't fix anything. There was a minor improvement to the sound quality, the stability was still dreadful though. Admittedly I do believe my card was faulty, but considering it only cost me 20 I couldn't be bothered going through the rma process only to have it sent back with "no fault found" (it did in fact work, it just sounded tinny and made all my games crash - deafening me in the process).
            Why did the chicken cross the road?
            To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

            Comment


            • #7
              So take creative and Asus out of the loop ....what we left with.? Startech and xenta.... ( who? ) lol....Unless you look high..high spec then I think your options realistically are either asus or creative.... Oh remembered another one Terratech ...not even sure they are still around
              posted by scrivz69
              I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
              i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS




              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by FunkY View Post
                I'm looking for a cheapish 5.1 or 7.1 PCI-E soundcard. I've not been a fan of Creative cards for a long time, and I'm not too keen on the Asus cards after having a DG that was naff... Which kind of limits my options a bit too much if I'm being realistic. So...

                Out of the Creative X-FI Xtreme and the Xonar DSX cards: Which is gonna be better?

                Have Asus started releasing updates to the drivers yet (last ones I saw for the DG were dated 2009 I think)?
                i have a ASUS sound card and no driver issues here with windows 7 64

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TAZ007 View Post
                  i have a ASUS sound card and no driver issues here with windows 7 64
                  Good for you

                  Looks like I'm going for the DSX (which has the most recent drivers compared to the DG or the DS, hopefully this is a good thing - time will tell).

                  I can't find much info as far as reviews go (all the searches for reviews I've done thus far mostly bring up the Xonar DS or DX lol). However I do still like my Asus mobo which has been flawless since day one (except when I've messed a setting up trying new oc settings, but that's my own fault lol), and I am convinced my previous Asus sound card was just a duff one. Compare that with endless hardware and driver problems that I remember from when I used creative cards... I'm giving Asus another chance

                  With a bit of luck I'll get it tomorrow too, maybe I should write a review
                  Last edited by FunkY; 09-05-12, 14:35.
                  Why did the chicken cross the road?
                  To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X