Show us your homelabs & home servers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show us your homelabs & home servers

So I'm guessing that I can't be the only one here who likes to mess with servers so I thought I'd start a homelab thread.

Currently running 2 Gen8 HP Microservers.

Left runs FreeNAS with 4 3TB WD Reds in ZFS RAIDz1. Transmission runs out of a jail.
    Right runs Proxmox VE with 5 VM's currently.

The VM's run the following:
    • Murmur (Mumble voice chat server)
    • DDclient (Updates some Namecheap domains via dynamic DNS)
    • ZNC (IRC bouncer that sits in IRC channels for me and logs while I'm away)
    • DNS (unbound) & DHCP
    • OpenVPN for remote access
    • Gitlab (for my misc coding projects)
    • Nginx web server (VM used for testing my website before pushing changes live)

The buffalo was supposed to be for local backups but turned out to cause more problems than it solved so is currently off and empty until I figure out what to do with it.

I have a Rasp Pi 1b and 2 but haven't found a purpose for either yet.

Plans at the moment are to build a jbod array in a separate chassis with a power control board and connect it to the FreeNAS server via SAS. (Ideally I'll also move to RAIDz2 or mirrored pairs)
    RAM and CPU in the Hypervisor need an upgrade and I want to switch to mirrored SSDs for the VM storage.

Long term plans when I get my own place are to go rackmount but that's a ways off yet.
    Desktop: Intel i5-4690K | 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI | EVGA GTX 660 3GB | Windows 10
    Server 0: Gen8 HP Microserver | Proxmox Hypervisor Server 1: Gen8 HP Microserver | FreeNAS

I would love to have a cheap server at home but would have no idea were to start lol, us old farts just plod along.

Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7. Ryzen 1700. 16GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB. Zotac GTX980ti Amp Omega Edition. Samsung 840 500 GB SSD. WD 1 TB Green. XFX 750w XTR Psu. Creative GIgaworks T20 series 2 speakers. Asus DX 7.1. Phanteks Enthoo ATX Glass case. iiyama G-master GE2788HS Monitor. Cyborg V7. TT Theron mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivz69 View Post
      I would love to have a cheap server at home but would have no idea were to start lol, us old farts just plod along.
      You don't necessarily need server grade hardware although currently the Dell PowerEdge T20 and Lenovo TS140 can both be had for under 200. The Dell can actually be had new for 140 with 70 cash back leaving you with a 70 server to play with.

An old PC does the trick unless you need some server grade features. Personally I like to have out of band management and ECC memory but it's certainly not a requirement.

Throw something like Ubuntu server edition on an older PC and go nuts!
      Desktop: Intel i5-4690K | 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI | EVGA GTX 660 3GB | Windows 10
      Server 0: Gen8 HP Microserver | Proxmox Hypervisor Server 1: Gen8 HP Microserver | FreeNAS

Comment

So I thought I'd try to revive this thread with a big update.

Here is the Homelab in it's current state:

And here is the network diagram:

Since the last post I've moved to a vlan setup and put the superhub in modem mode.
        The Layer 3 inter-vlan routing is done by the switch, a HP v1910-24G.
        (The webUI sucks but the CLI works great!)

I've built a custom JBOD expansion enclosure for the NAS using an LSI 9201-8e, a JBOD power controller and some sas cables and adaptors. NAS-01 is now at 24TB RAW ~16TiB usable.

Firewalling, NAT and primary DNS is done by a 1U supermicro server running pfSense. I also have a Raspberry Pi for failover DNS.

I replaced the Buffalo NAS with a Synology for backups and wireless is taken care of with a Ubiquity UAP-AC-LITE.

The Proxmox server has been switched from spinny disks to ZFS SSD storage and CPU/Memory has been upgraded all around.

Some of the services I'm now running (some omitted) include:
        • Baremetal
          • Proxmox - HPV-01 (Hypervisor)
          • FreeNAS - NAS-01 (Primary storage plus jails)
          • Synology DSM - NAS-02 (Backup storage)
          • pfSense - FWL-01 (Firewall)
          • Rasbian Lite + Pi-Hole - DNS-01 (Adblocking DNS)

• Virtualised on Proxmox
          • Nginx - DEV-01 (Webserver for development and testing)
          • OpenVPN - VPN-01 (Remote Access)
          • Gitlab - VCS-01 (Code version control)
          • Unifi Controller - CON-01 (Manages the access point)
          • LibreNMS - MON-01 (Monitoring and alerting)
          • Kea - DHCP-01 (Replacement for ISC-DHCP) (DHCP)
          • PiHole - DNS-02 (Secondary adblocking DNS)
          • Lychee - WEB-01 (Photo hosting)
          • BookStackApp - WEB-03 (Wiki for documentation)
          • Transmission - APP-01 (Linux ISOs)
          • ommitted - APP-03

• FreeNAS Jails
          • Emby - WEB-02
          • ommitted - APP-02
          • ommitted - APP-04

Plans for the next year are:

• Build replacement NAS with 24 Bay chassis and expand to ~40TiB usable w/ FreeNAS 10.
        • Re-purpose current Gen8 NAS Server as second Proxmox server with clustering.
        • Add UPS protection with NUT server for automated shutdown.
        • Get a second VPS with good storage and bandwidth for NextCloud.

Comment

So... What exactly do you use all that for?

Originally posted by coiler
          Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

As in, why have you added the vlaning in a home environment? And what do you need all that space for?

Originally posted by coiler
            Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

That does seem to be commercial setup to me. What are you running through it to warrant a robust setup like that?

This is mine, it has it's own cupboard

Originally posted by Aria
              On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                So... What exactly do you use all that for?
                You know..... stuff and things

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                As in, why have you added the vlaning in a home environment? And what do you need all that space for?
                I have a few services port forwarded and exposed to the internet so I wanted to implement some network segregation for additional security.
                I've been able to implement all of this fairly cheaply (Switch was ~60, firewall was sub $200) and it's been a huge learning experience.

I mainly work with servers in corporate environments but I've never really got involved in the networking side of things.
                It's an area I'm teaching myself in and I've found that having a home network like this to test things in has been invaluable.

I mostly work with Cisco gear and I wanted to make sure that my knowledge and understanding of networking was vendor agnostic.

RE the storage space I back up everything. A lot of the space is used for my Emby library and the rest is RAW photos etc...

Also see: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/ where I am an amateur and https://hardforum.com/threads/h-ard-...-2015.1847026/

Comment

Originally posted by M4T VW View Post
                  That does seem to be commercial setup to me. What are you running through it to warrant a robust setup like that?

This is mine, it has it's own cupboard
                  See above. It's mostly for learning and also just because I can.

Very nice and clean. I have been considering rackmounting my gear but I don't have the cupboard space at the moment.

Comment

My homelab mostly sits in the cloud. 1000W of equipment would roughly cost 100 a month to keep running 24x7.

Comment

At current average prices, 1000W 24/7 would cost you a fair bit extra.
                      Last edited by Bing; 24-03-17, 19:02.

Comment

At 12p per KWh (average for domestic supply), 1W roughly = 1 a year if on 24x7.

Comment

https://www.sust-it.net/energy-calculator.php

put 1000W in for 24 hours and see the daily cost. That's an average of current tariffs, not including standing charges.

Comment

Working...
                          X