My sandy bridge re-build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My sandy bridge re-build

So I've been harvesting parts over the last couple of months and finally got a chance to start my build over the weekend. there's still a bit to go so this is just part one...
    (apologies for the crappy phone cam pics, my SLR was out of juice. follow up pics will be (much) better )

anyway, onwards.
    firstly my chassis:
    this was a find - a Zalman GS-1000 plus

was dropping some stuff off at the local tip recycling centre, when someone put this beauty down right in front of me. it was missing a couple of bits like the 5 1/4" bay covers and PSU mounting rail, but a quick call to (a shop that had some spares in stock) and that was sorted

my main problem is that the top cover seems to be welded on so i can't access the roof mounts for the fans, but that's not really a concern for me right now

old layout with my 'attempt' at cable management

(seriously, it took me 4 hours at that point and just wanted it reasonably tidy so i called it a day there)

old faithful out with the cooler removed for re-use shortly

Recap for anyone who isn't aware of my rig's contents:
    • Q6600 @ 3.33 GHz
    • ASUS P5Q-E P45
    • Gelid Tranquillo Cooler
    • 4Gb Crucial Ballistix
    • Corsair HX450 PSU
    • Powercolor 6850
    • various HDD's and a kingston 64 Gb SSD

in with the new components:
    • i5 2500K
    • MSI P67A-GD55
    • 8Gb Mushkin Blackline

waiting to go in:
    • Sapphire 6850 for crossfire
    • ASUS Xonar DS
    • bigger PSU (TBD once i've determined the full load of the single 6850 system)

pack shot:

new shiny: (courtesy of loyal member deals)

some other stuff:

some assembly required

after taking that pic i discovered the mushkin heat spreaders are too tall for the gelid tranquillo and/or the slots are too close to the CPU, so I've opted for slots 2 and 4 (recommended anyway) and even then it's close
    and that's as far as i have pics for atm.
    the tranquillo is on, the board is in the case and everything is hooked up to check it all works... (It does )
    and I'll take some better shots tonight of the final in place kit (maybe after i've done some improvements to the cable management )
    Last edited by Mr. Grapes; 14-06-11, 11:56.
    Incoming: Ryzen 5 1600:: GA-AB350-Gaming 3:: <some other stuff>
    Outgoing: BLACK 'n' BLUE: X3360:: P5Q-E::4GB Ballistix::2x6850::Zalman GS1000 Plus case

Looks good, keep the pics coming, and what make of case are you using it looks massive.

Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7. Ryzen 1700. 16GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB. Zotac GTX980ti Amp Omega Edition. Samsung 840 500 GB SSD. WD 1 TB Green. XFX 750w XTR Psu. Creative GIgaworks T20 series 2 speakers. Asus DX 7.1. Phanteks Enthoo ATX Glass case. iiyama G-master GE2788HS Monitor. Cyborg V7. TT Theron mouse.

Comment

it's a Zalman GS-1000 plus.
      and yes, it is! but it's no bigger than the case it replaced which was massive and made of armour plated steel! (it didn't get moved very often)
      Last edited by Mr. Grapes; 13-06-11, 12:00.
      Outgoing: BLACK 'n' BLUE: X3360:: P5Q-E::4GB Ballistix::2x6850::Zalman GS1000 Plus case

Comment

looks decent
        Veni, Vidi, Vici - I came, I saw, I conquered

Mac OSx is the way forward.

Comment

why thank you
          it's so shiny, that for the first time my wife has even said "Ooooh that looks nice, it should be on show!"
          so next project will be modding a window into the Zalman (which i never thought I'd say... ever!) which will suit me as i plan on fitting my W/C kit in the near future

Comment

After seeing Josh and Flash's recent builds, I've decided to colour theme the build, so I present you..... [drum roll]

BLACK 'n' BLUE

[/drum roll]
            [rapturous applause]
            [/rapturous applause]

ok, now i need to start getting some blue bits....
            blue SATA cables etc....

Comment

looks good mate

nice find with that case !

Comment

yeah, it was literally dropped in front of me in near perfect condition (there were some marks around the top where the orig owner tried to pry the top panel off... and tbh when i need take it off for phase 2 (watercooling) I'm probably going to have to get the dremel out...
                but all in it cost me about 15

Comment

Wow awesome find, looks good... I hope to see more pics in a bit.

Hmmm I wonder what the chances are of someone putting a i5 2500k in front of me

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Grapes View Post
                    After seeing Josh and Flash's recent builds, I've decided to colour theme the build, so I present you..... [drum roll]

BLACK 'n' BLUE

[/drum roll]
                    [rapturous applause]
                    [/rapturous applause]

ok, now i need to start getting some blue bits....
                    blue SATA cables etc....

You liked my rig then?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
                    Gaming PC:i5 2500k|MSI Mpower Z77 | Kingston HyperX Grey 8GB 1600MHZ | ThermalTake Frio | MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III 2GB Crossfire | Samsung 840 PRO 250GB SSD | XFX Pro 850W Modular PSU | Corsair 600t Case

Comment

I did.... when you finally got some pics up

thing is every light on the machine is now blue... the power switch is blue, the bluray drive light is blue, and now the mobo is blue with a load of blue LED's on it... so it makes sense to push that theme now.
                      Last edited by Mr. Grapes; 14-06-11, 00:55.

Comment

Looking good so far, interesting choice of case too, looks HUGE :-)
                        Originally posted by {SAS}TB
                        Also gives me the chance to probe around the wife's rear end

Comment

no new pics yet...
                          spent most of last night getting used to the new bios style
                          main problem was getting into it... the window for pressing DEL is now so ridiculously small, you have to be doing a track-and-field style hammer action to make sure you hit it add to that, I could figure out why my multi was set at 42 and i couldn't change it... (seems OC-Genie was enabled after a CMOS clear and it was preventing me making any changes or setting stock)

anyway, it's all settled in and once i've let it run a short while at stock to confirm stability, then I'll start seeing what it can do
                          Originally posted by jointhedotz View Post
                          Looking good so far, interesting choice of case too, looks HUGE :-)
                          not so much of a choice, but manna from heaven

Comment

GENTLEMEN! We have ourselves...

A MOD

been looking around the internets and found out how to get the top cover off (something my predecessor couldn't figure out either...)

anyway, I've found waterblocks for the 6850's that should fit (don't require reference design) for 35 by watercool
                            and now i've found out how to get the top cover off, i can actually replace the fan/s in the roof and or fit the radiator(s) which as a by product means i can strip off all the plastic trim and spray the inside

so thoughts...
                            should i make the inside blue or black? or black with blue highlights?
                            Last edited by Mr. Grapes; 14-06-11, 15:41.

Comment

i'd say black tbh, although the case is already very black outside.....maybe black with lots of blue lighting and w/c though?
                              Originally posted by {SAS}TB
                              Also gives me the chance to probe around the wife's rear end

Comment

Working...
                              X