X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BigIan88
    started a topic Spec me a PSU pl0x

Spec me a PSU pl0x

My current PSU (1200w Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold) is starting to make a few funny noises and I've given it a thorough dusting but I think it might be early signs of it giving up the ghost after around 6+ years of service so I'm in the market for a replacement whilst I retire this into the spares box.

Requirements:
    At least 750W
    Fully Modular
    Gold or Platinum rated efficiency
    Max of 150
    More than 5 years warranty

I have a few in mind but I'm open to ideas as I can't justify the price of some nor do I need any extra frills, like corsair link
    Last edited by BigIan88; 09-03-17, 15:01.

• zeameth
    replied
    ive got an 850 (might be 750 actually) evga superNOVA and its been great, the fan is off pretty all the time and only kicks in when required useful if its in the same room as you sleep

Leave a comment:

• omega
    replied
    I've always had Corsairs, and put them into a few builds for friends as well, HX's I think, and they've all been solid.

Currently got an AX760 (?) I think, been a while since I had a tinker and it's silent until I game, then it spins quietly every few minutes for about 5 seconds.

Leave a comment:

• Bing
    replied
    Whatever you look at, check the reviews on JonnyGuru.com first. Best, most detailed PSU reviews out there.

Leave a comment:

• luke22
    replied
    no lights wanted, evga

Leave a comment:

• BigIan88
    replied
    My PC is on almost 24/7 so lights aren't important to me as I can't sleep with my room lit up

I did look at some of the Superflower units, EVGA one's look decent and I keep getting drawn to the Corsair RM and HX PSU's too.

Leave a comment:

• TheMadDutchDude
    replied
    I'd also vote for a Superflower unit. I had one briefly before I downgraded and it was amazing. Top, top quality.

That being said, I also owned a SuperNOVA G2 and it was rock solid. Take your pick.
    Last edited by TheMadDutchDude; 10-03-17, 01:43.

Leave a comment:

• luke22
    replied
    Originally posted by BUDFORCE View Post
    Isn't there an optimal though?

For example 70%-80% load being the most efficient?

So 1500w power supply running 300w system is not efficient, same is a 500w power supply running a 480w system is not efficient either.
    it can be a bell curve where the low and high ends are less so while the mid range is where the most efficiency is.

some have great efficiency past 80% or so, which is what i try to aim for as full load. so a system using 400w i would want a psu with 500 or so.

ian, superflower leadex, they light up and everything!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• k3vst3r
    replied
    overpriced psu or what http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/coo...er-supply.html

Leave a comment:

• BUDFORCE
    replied
    Originally posted by BigIan88 View Post
    - Lower load generally means higher efficiency.
    Isn't there an optimal though?

For example 70%-80% load being the most efficient?

So 1500w power supply running 300w system is not efficient, same is a 500w power supply running a 480w system is not efficient either.

Leave a comment:

• {SAS}TB
    replied
    My 1500w Enermax went pop last week, literally, (currently undergoing RMA, not Aria) - i no longer need anywhere near that power so got a Corsair CX850M for under 100 - not fully modular, but very nice, good cable lengths, 80plus bronze and 5 year warranty

Not exactly what you are after but also not as expensive

or you may find a 1500W Enermax in the trading post soon

EDIT:

This made me giggle from the returns tracking

Tripped our breaker
    lol
    Last edited by {SAS}TB; 09-03-17, 16:28.

Leave a comment:

• k3vst3r
    replied
    Cooler Master just launched a new PSU that's 1000 bucks

Leave a comment:

• Bing
    replied
    If you're going to go down the 1080 route, you can drop the PSU rating even more. An i7 X99 with a 1080 is only going to draw 350-400W from the wall and your setup is more efficient than that. Maybe a 650-700W would do you unless the price difference is so negligible that you might as well have the extra headroom.

Leave a comment:

• BigIan88
    replied
    I don't think this will go bang anytime soon but its making a few noises and the fan is almost always on and spinning quickly to the point its louder than everything else in my system.

I'd rather tackle that before it becomes an issue than wait for it to die at an inconvenient moment and run the risk of it taking out other components.

I reckon a decent 750-800W would suffice as i'd be tempted to go for a 1080 rather than 2nd 980.

Leave a comment:

• Bing
    replied
    850W EVGA Supernova would be my target then.

I bought a CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1kW years ago that's still powering my rig. 6700k OC'd and 2x GTX 780s heavily OC'd, fans, lights, the lot and it still doesn't draw more than 700W in synthetic benchmarks at full stress load. When it goes bang, I'll be downsizing to a 750W Platinum.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X