Spec me a PSU pl0x

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spec me a PSU pl0x

My current PSU (1200w Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold) is starting to make a few funny noises and I've given it a thorough dusting but I think it might be early signs of it giving up the ghost after around 6+ years of service so I'm in the market for a replacement whilst I retire this into the spares box.

Requirements:
    At least 750W
    Fully Modular
    Gold or Platinum rated efficiency
    Max of 150
    More than 5 years warranty

I have a few in mind but I'm open to ideas as I can't justify the price of some nor do I need any extra frills, like corsair link
    Last edited by BigIan88; 09-03-17, 15:01.
    i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

I'd be tempted with an EVGA PSU. No frills, just rock solid power and reliability. If it's to power your sig rig, you don't need anywhere near 850W though..... A premium brand 650W would comfortably do you.

Comment

The reason I go for a little overkill is for 2 reasons:

- Lower load generally means higher efficiency.
      - I used to upgrade all the time and would have multi-card setups, I plan on doing the same later in the year so rather than go low and upgrade it again when I grab a 2nd card, I'll plan ahead and get something that'll do the job.
      i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

850W EVGA Supernova would be my target then.

I bought a CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1kW years ago that's still powering my rig. 6700k OC'd and 2x GTX 780s heavily OC'd, fans, lights, the lot and it still doesn't draw more than 700W in synthetic benchmarks at full stress load. When it goes bang, I'll be downsizing to a 750W Platinum.

Comment

I don't think this will go bang anytime soon but its making a few noises and the fan is almost always on and spinning quickly to the point its louder than everything else in my system.

I'd rather tackle that before it becomes an issue than wait for it to die at an inconvenient moment and run the risk of it taking out other components.

I reckon a decent 750-800W would suffice as i'd be tempted to go for a 1080 rather than 2nd 980.

Comment

If you're going to go down the 1080 route, you can drop the PSU rating even more. An i7 X99 with a 1080 is only going to draw 350-400W from the wall and your setup is more efficient than that. Maybe a 650-700W would do you unless the price difference is so negligible that you might as well have the extra headroom.

Comment

Cooler Master just launched a new PSU that's 1000 bucks

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

My 1500w Enermax went pop last week, literally, (currently undergoing RMA, not Aria) - i no longer need anywhere near that power so got a Corsair CX850M for under 100 - not fully modular, but very nice, good cable lengths, 80plus bronze and 5 year warranty

Not exactly what you are after but also not as expensive

or you may find a 1500W Enermax in the trading post soon

EDIT:

This made me giggle from the returns tracking

Tripped our breaker
                lol
                Last edited by {SAS}TB; 09-03-17, 16:28.
                flickr | Pootling Pics | Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by BigIan88 View Post
                  - Lower load generally means higher efficiency.
                  Isn't there an optimal though?

For example 70%-80% load being the most efficient?

So 1500w power supply running 300w system is not efficient, same is a 500w power supply running a 480w system is not efficient either.
                  GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

overpriced psu or what http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/coo...er-supply.html

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Originally posted by BUDFORCE View Post
                      Isn't there an optimal though?

For example 70%-80% load being the most efficient?

So 1500w power supply running 300w system is not efficient, same is a 500w power supply running a 480w system is not efficient either.
                      it can be a bell curve where the low and high ends are less so while the mid range is where the most efficiency is.

some have great efficiency past 80% or so, which is what i try to aim for as full load. so a system using 400w i would want a psu with 500 or so.

ian, superflower leadex, they light up and everything!!!!!
                      "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                      Plato

Comment

I'd also vote for a Superflower unit. I had one briefly before I downgraded and it was amazing. Top, top quality.

That being said, I also owned a SuperNOVA G2 and it was rock solid. Take your pick.
                        Last edited by TheMadDutchDude; 10-03-17, 01:43.
                        ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

My PC is on almost 24/7 so lights aren't important to me as I can't sleep with my room lit up

I did look at some of the Superflower units, EVGA one's look decent and I keep getting drawn to the Corsair RM and HX PSU's too.

Comment

no lights wanted, evga
                            "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                            Plato

Comment

Whatever you look at, check the reviews on JonnyGuru.com first. Best, most detailed PSU reviews out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X