Corsair RM550

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corsair RM550

Anyone had problems with the Corsair? This was new in Jan 14 and has had an easy life (second computer).

About a month ago the machine stopped booting. I've rebuilt the innards into a new case (the only bit that wasn't new in 2014) checking everything I could as I went.

At the moment it is running with two small SSDs (200+g and 128g) and a Samsung 200 gig drive. As soon as I try to install one (of two) virtually new 2000 gig drives the problem recurrs. The blue light on the front of the case lights up when I hit it. Fans do not spin - won't even take me into bios. Even if I replace the 200gig drive with one of the 2000gig drives I get the same problem.

I suspect the power supply. Can't see anything else.

J.

What happens if you try the same drive in a different machine? Or try the PSU in a different machine?

Originally posted by coiler
    Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Hi Aaron and thanks for your fast response.

I checked each of the drives by plugging them into a SATA Docking station - plugged into a USB port on the same machine.

I replaced the power supply with an older, non-modular one at about 3am this morning. Same general performance. During today I carried on experimenting - moving drives around, plugging and unplugging them. Nothing till about an hour ago. A pattern.

I don't normally do much in the bios, apart from switching off full screen logos and such and setting boot priorities. But I noticed that if I took one of the (three, two SSD and one hard just to setup - one of the SSDs will stay as boot drive) drives out of the first group of four SATA connectors on the mainboard into the second group of four on the mainboard it stopped showing. Went into the bios and found under storage options that the bios only listed the first four ports. Messing around I found that if I switched the SATA 'mode' from IDE to ACHI (whatever) all 8 were listed. Left ACHI set, enabled the IDE compatibility in the bios and exited the bios. Attempted to boot to Windows 10 several times. Saw a lot of 'Diagnosing' and 'Repairing' dialogs but those attempts all ended in a light blue screen with a sideways smiley on it. Went back into bios and reluctantly switched 'Mode' back to IDE. To my surprise all 8 SATA ports were still recognised in the bios.

Convinced I had found the answer I took the old power supply out and put the RM550 back in - then I loaded it with the drives I wanted to use in the finished machine - the 2 SSDs, 2 x 2terra hard drives, 1 x 1 terra hard drive, a blu-ray read/write drive and a multi drive. Plugged all the connectors in the back of the machine and switched on, Nothing! Didn't even spin the fans or go into bios.

That's where I started from at the beginning of the week! Suddenly the machine wouldn't boot at all.

I removed all the connectors from all but the bottom 3 - the 2 SSDs, a 2 terra drive - and the blu-ray at the top. It works. Plug in a couple more drives and it fails.

So I still think it is a power supply problem made more complex by the wrong setting in the bios. I really do not understand why, on the original bios setup mode (IDE) the bios only recognised the first four SATA 'sockets' on the mainboard. I've tried to recreate that but it now insists it has all 8.

Thanks again.

J.

Comment

Just for info - if you've installed windows in ide/legacy mode and then switch to ahci, windows will not boot without a reinstall.
        Is one of your ssds blank? Can you switch in to ahci mode and do a fresh install of windows with only one drive installed? See if it boots and then add the other drives in? Make sure it stays booting from the fresh install though.

Comment

Not too interested in switching to ahci at this time. Just want to get the full complement up and running. Waiting new (upgraded) power supply at the moment.

My experience sharpens my focus on Steve Wozniac's quip "Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window" :-)

Comment

Well I hope it works out for you!

Comment

I always recommend that people stay the hell away from Corsair. I had a CX400 fail under warranty (not just fail, it killed any graphics card it was plugged into). Even with video proof of that fact, they refused to send out a replacement unless I sent the faulty unit to the Netherlands, which would cost more than a new one. Very poor CS in my experience.
              Dell Vostro 3560 | Intel Core i5-3380M | 8GB RAM | HD4000 graphics | Sandisk SSDPlus 120GB | Windows 10 Pro

Comment

They also refuse to replace one of the AX1200I units I have downstairs because I haven't got proof of purchase as the second owner. I had hoped for more given that they are such expensive (and ****!) units. Never mind. I won't be buying another Corsair product.
                ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Working...
                X