Remote control power switch ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote control power switch ?

Got a bunch of servers we use for testing at work.

Currently they sit powered on and unused for much of their life - I'll use them a couple of times per week.

They sit in another part of the building, so I wondered if there was such a thing as a networked power switch that'll be able to remotely power up/down about 12 servers ?

Having a poke around the web, but recommendations welcome if you know of anything good
    --
    Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Wake on LAN?

Comment

Yeah WOL and either a timed shutdown or a shutdown.exe batch file would do it - that's a pretty belt and braces approach

If they're powered by a UPS, can you get that to send a signal? I know I can remote in to our main UPS and that will send a command to the servers to shut it down. If that's not an option, then it suggests something along the lines you're talking about is possible at least

Originally posted by coiler
      Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

If it's Dell servers some thing like a DRAC card?
        I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

No wol support, custom chassis running custom Linux.
          No psu for test kit

Found a 4port unit for 80, seems like it'll do the job
          --
          Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

How about some of those new "home automation" widgets? Stuff that lets you turn the lights on from afar.

Find one that lets you turn a mains strip on and off. Plug them into that.

Chance to try some new toys.
            Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
            Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
            Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

need to shut down the servers not just power them down. otherwise i would be pimping walkie talkies and a clapper switch
              "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
              Plato

Comment

Looks like a batch file is the way to go then.. no idea how you power it up though if it doesn't support WOL.

Unless.... do the motherboards support the 'last power state' function? Ie, when it loses power which is then restored, what does it do.. if you could set that to power on, then you could do the shutdown with a batch file and the power up with a remote plug socket like mk suggested..

Originally posted by coiler
                Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

shutting down isn't a problem it's powering them back up when I need them without leaving my seat

last power state - that's a good shout, should be fine with that.

Got some ideas now, thanks
                  --

Comment

guessing with the happy with 80, the remote datacentre style PDU is out the question then

We had one, bios on machines set to ON after power fail. Power off unit nicely with a shutdown, power on by cycling the pdu - yup turn it off, then on again ......
                    Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
                    Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Cures 90% of all known computer issues
                      --

Comment

I thought that was a windows re-install that sorted them??

Comment

Nah, just tell everyone you know more than the hundreds of years of combined knowledge - that fixes everything!!
                          ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Probably got screwdriver damage....
                            GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Or, or the elusive screwdriver! Of course. How could I be so stupid?

I guess I don't have the knowledge.
                              ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Working...
                              X