Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU recommendations....

Right guys, I was just asking this just to be on the safe side of things

A friend is buying my 4960X and his friend is having his 4770k setup off of him.. The question I had was simply, PSU requirements

My friends rig is:

4770k @ stock - His friend won't need the extra grunt
    16Gb ram (TridentX 2400Mhz stuff)
    Asus Hero 6 motherboard

Now other things will include hopefully a GTX 970 as he'll be largely gaming at 1200P so thought that would be the best card to perhaps suggest to him. I've also suggested even if its cheap, an SSD for the OS. He has a data drive for storage/games etc.

Now for the PSU side of things, I was damn sure his 4 or 5 year old Dell PSU wouldn't cope, but thinking about it really, he doesn't didn't need a massive PSU for such a system and I've suggested a 550w model. Would this be big enough??
    I've found a review on JohnnyGuru and he's basically recommended the EVGA S2 550w model (review conclusion here - http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory6&reid=440)

Is there anything else I could suggest or that you might suggest a bigger unit or is this pretty much going to be a golden setup for him as an upgrade? Your thoughts as always, completely welcome

(Thank you in advance!!)

If my 7970 is only taxing my 500w supply when I start hammering the clocks up (And I have a gazillion fans and a raid array going) I would think a stock 4770 and lower power 970 would easily be fine on a 550w.

Comment

It's what I was hoping for Phill Is there another PSU around that you or anyone else might suggest? I think personally that Corsair units have gone down a bit in quality over the time, so I'd rather suggest something else if I could... Any thoughts?

Comment

Been a while since I bought a PSU to be honest, my brother bought a Corsair Modular one last week and the internals looked pretty tidy, but I didn't open it up for a look with it being in warranty.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the EVGA 550w model will be perfectly fine for what the rig will be doing. I just wanted a decent PSU in there to go with the hardware in there. Nothing more stupid in my eyes than skimping on the PSU when you have good hardware in a system, old or new hardware too....

Comment

Just get an EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2, they're the better units if memory serves me rightly.

That'll handle anything he throws at it, and probably a second 970 for SLI too if he ever wanted.

Then again, the 750W is only about a tenner more (from memory), so that may be worth a look into as well as that'll definitely cover two 970s with ease.
            ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

my advice is buy it from the people evga do and get a superflower.

as for size, running stock your talking about 100w for the cpu/mobo/ram and another 150w for that gpu. throw another 50 or so on top for any other bits and you're talking about 400w. sli the 970s and you're talking 550w. now i doubt many 550w units will give you that power where you would need it. i would look at something 650w or above to give clean power to 2 low draw gpu. if you want any overclocking wiggle room i would say 750w too.

tl:dr
              quality 450w might just cover it at stock, but gives little room for aging components.
              quality 500w should be ok.
              quality 600w will give room for nice oc or maybe even stock sli.
              quality 750w should take sli oc for years.
              "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
              Plato

Comment

I'll talk it over with him but bare minimum 550w, extra room 750w perfect? Thanks guys

Comment

Yep. A great PSU like the one I sold to you not all that long ago.
                  ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

I won't be touching another evga one again after the last 2, me and a mate built our pcs maybe over a year ago, his evga 600b just died and no power, he sent it back it took 3 weeks, got repaired so it had power but now it ticks like crazy like somethings hitting the fan blades.

And last night mines done the same, no power, so I'm on the lookout for a new one as well, eyeballing the fractal ones but if not a seasonic it is
                    Alienware m15x I Intel Core i7 720qm I 8gb Kingston DDR3 I AMD M6000 2gb (7870m) I Full 1080 I Intel 3160AC wifi

RIG I Zalman z3 I Evga 600b I Intel core i5 3570k@Stock I Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-b3 I 8gb DDR3 1600mhz Exceleram I Amd XFX R9 290 4gb@1000/1300 NZXT Kraken with corsair h55 AIO I 1tb Samsung spinpoint / 500gb Hitachi deskstar

Comment

600b are hec units not superflower iirc :/
                      "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                      Plato

Comment

Yeah it's all about the OEM. You have to understand with PSUs that all the 'name' brands just buy OEM units from chinese manufacturers, put them in a pretty metal box inside a pretty cardboard box with their stickers on them. (Slight oversimplification, some brands do make some tweaks, but basically true). If you do a bit of research you can generally find out who made the actual guts of the PSU. The golden rule is, if it's made by Seasonic you can't really go wrong, superflower also another decent brand OEM yeah, others are usually a 'mixed bag' where you need to do a bit of digging to find out if it's a good platform or a 'meh' one.

Comment

I'll try and have a chat with my mate and see what he's doing.. I pointed him to an EVGA 970 as it was under 245 quid from Aria, so hopefully he's snapped that right up!! I told him to say if his mate is having it, don't let him put bad hardware in there as it would ruin the rig!!

Comment

Originally posted by andyn View Post
                            Yeah it's all about the OEM. You have to understand with PSUs that all the 'name' brands just buy OEM units from chinese manufacturers, put them in a pretty metal box inside a pretty cardboard box with their stickers on them. (Slight oversimplification, some brands do make some tweaks, but basically true). If you do a bit of research you can generally find out who made the actual guts of the PSU. The golden rule is, if it's made by Seasonic you can't really go wrong, superflower also another decent brand OEM yeah, others are usually a 'mixed bag' where you need to do a bit of digging to find out if it's a good platform or a 'meh' one.
                            This is why I buy FSP stuff. At least you know it's their own internals, and they're usually decent

Comment

I kneel at the shrine of the mighty Seasonic personally, but yeah FSP is another one you can normally trust. Generally avoid any company with a 'dramatic name', "uberpower" or whatever . Also anything which promises 900W for 15..

Comment

Working...
                              X