• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FunkY
    replied
    Originally posted by lee32uk View Post
    I guess I should pay more attention to the thread date next time
    Pffft... August this year? That's nothing around here... Even the staff/mods will drag up threads from 3 or 4 years ago, never mind a couple of months

Leave a comment:

• lee32uk
    replied
    I guess I should pay more attention to the thread date next time

Leave a comment:

• EthanKing
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
    Holy thread revival, Batman! Also, holy post count boosting!

Leave a comment:

• TheMadDutchDude
    replied
    Holy thread revival, Batman! Also, holy post count boosting!

Leave a comment:

• lee32uk
    replied
    Originally posted by jakey118118 View Post
    Ummmm, honestly I don't know. This will be the first time doing this sort of thing so i'm guessing the extensions simply clip onto the existing ones you're given but leave a lot of extra cable lying around, whereas the pre-braided don't? Sorry for being a little useless regarding this. I'm going to take a guess at saying the extensions are easier to get hold of though.

If you have a case where the psu is on view then extensions might not look so good as you will still be able to see the cables exiting the unit. For a case like the H440 or Phanteks Enthoo Pro etc then they work better as the psu is hidden.

If you want extensions then Bitfenix, Silverstone and NZXT do them. For replacement braided cables for the XFX then google Cablemod. Aria don't seem to stock them.

Leave a comment:

• lee32uk
    replied
    Originally posted by jakey118118 View Post
    Hi guys,

As some of you may have seen in the case section, I have currently decided to build a new PC with a theme around the Fractal Design R5 White. I've got a the majority of components listed and some have been bought however I unsure of this particular power supply. The reviews say they are good but I feel some more expert opinions are more solid.

Currently im looking at this;

I5-4690K
    MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition
    16Gb HyperX Fury White
    Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    GPU - Not decided on
    Bunch of Corsair Quiet Edition fans etc...
    Corsair H100i GTX

PSU - XFX XTR 650W Gold modular.

The main concern I have is reliability, however im certain the XFX units are rebranded seasonics? So in theory should be solid built also what GPUs are reliable at this power range, some reviews are mixed on the R9 290x etc.. with high power usage but I thought anything around 600+ is more towards Crossfire and SLI.

Also im not 100% on my budget for the GPU hence why im sceptical about the PSU and having full confidence that any GPU i do pick will be ok.

Cheers.

That is a solid power supply. You are correct that it is made by Seasonic. It is based on the Seasonic G series.

Leave a comment:

• lee32uk
    replied
    Originally posted by BigIan88 View Post
    It's worth noting not all XFX are seasonic OEM, just the better ones (like this)
    XFX are 100% Seasonic throughout the range.

Leave a comment:

• jakey118118
    replied
    I'm hoping to get some money form my parents for the computer as my sister will be having it for University, so that should help cut the added cost of the mobo and cpu. The RAM is the only thing that seems to still have a heavy premium.

Leave a comment:

• TheMadDutchDude
    replied
    Flog off your old PC to make up the majority of the difference.

Is it really that much more expensive? I guess you need to buy new RAM...

Leave a comment:

• jakey118118
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
    Well, it's not so much that you won't need to change as either will do you fine. However, if you're buying new, there's no point in only going half way to save a few quid, when you can get the latest and greatest for just that little bit more.

Glad to see you've gone with the Skylake idea. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. It's very, very quick. I'm getting mine very soon too.
    Exactly, overall i'd save around 150 roughly but given i've spaced the parts being bought it makes more sense. Can wait for that fresh PC smell!!

Leave a comment:

• TheMadDutchDude
    replied
    Well, it's not so much that you won't need to change as either will do you fine. However, if you're buying new, there's no point in only going half way to save a few quid, when you can get the latest and greatest for just that little bit more.

Glad to see you've gone with the Skylake idea. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. It's very, very quick. I'm getting mine very soon too.

Leave a comment:

• jakey118118
    replied
    Haha I am looking to buy these parts I was just making sure the PSU was sufficient but I've been convinced to buy the 6600k now anyway. Might as well just get the latest and not have to worry about socket changes etc in a couple years time.
    Last edited by jakey118118; 08-08-15, 10:05.

Leave a comment:

• TheMadDutchDude
    replied
    I thought you meant you were going to purchase the above by the way your post was worded. I had no idea you were only after PSU advice and that was your rig (based on your signature). My bad.

Leave a comment:

• fadedsilhouette
    replied
    ^ That sounds like a solid plan, better than selling.

Leave a comment:

• jakey118118
    replied
    Haha didn't even think about that, saying that I could always get 8Gb in black now and then add another 8Gb in white later or simply sell as you said.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X