Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent PSU?

Hi guys,

As some of you may have seen in the case section, I have currently decided to build a new PC with a theme around the Fractal Design R5 White. I've got a the majority of components listed and some have been bought however I unsure of this particular power supply. The reviews say they are good but I feel some more expert opinions are more solid.

Currently im looking at this;

I5-4690K
    MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition
    16Gb HyperX Fury White
    Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    GPU - Not decided on
    Bunch of Corsair Quiet Edition fans etc...
    Corsair H100i GTX

PSU - XFX XTR 650W Gold modular.

The main concern I have is reliability, however im certain the XFX units are rebranded seasonics? So in theory should be solid built also what GPUs are reliable at this power range, some reviews are mixed on the R9 290x etc.. with high power usage but I thought anything around 600+ is more towards Crossfire and SLI.

Also im not 100% on my budget for the GPU hence why im sceptical about the PSU and having full confidence that any GPU i do pick will be ok.

Cheers.
    Main Rig: Intel Core i5-6600K @ 3.9Ghz | Asus Z170-A | 16Gb Kingston HyperX DDR4 (2133Mhz) | Gigabyte G1 Gaming 970 GTX |128Gb Samsung Evo SSD + 1TB Seagate |Frcatal design Define R5 White

That's a good psu mate, and it will be more than enough for a 290X if you decide to get one. Out of interest where are you looking to get one? They're discontinued now and harder to find. They need around 600W from a good branded psu, so 650W will do the trick just fine.

Nvidia equivalent will be the 970 and again those can run on 500W, so that psu will do the job in that case too.

edit *I wouldn't call my opinions expert, though*
    oooops I forgot to uncheck the signature box again..

Comment

That's good then, I found it on the big river for 79 which seemed a decent price for fully modular and Gold certified. Also like the idea of Hybrid mode turning the fan off when on lower power consumption.
      Main Rig: Intel Core i5-6600K @ 3.9Ghz | Asus Z170-A | 16Gb Kingston HyperX DDR4 (2133Mhz) | Gigabyte G1 Gaming 970 GTX |128Gb Samsung Evo SSD + 1TB Seagate |Frcatal design Define R5 White

Comment

Yeah that is a good price. What have you bought so far and what have you yet to buy?

Comment

Also the other thread you mentioned may answer this, but why the full upgrade? Surely your current rig still has some grunt and you could just get a new graphics card and a couple of extras to give it a big more legs?

Comment

Originally posted by fadedsilhouette View Post
            Also the other thread you mentioned may answer this, but why the full upgrade? Surely your current rig still has some grunt and you could just get a new graphics card and a couple of extras to give it a big more legs?
            Fair enough question, basically I wanted to have a themed build now, spur of the moment I guess but in turn my sister is going to Uni in September for Interactive Art Design or something like that and she doesn't have a computer and the laptop she is currently using is 100% a pile of c**p and as I wanted a new PC I decided to give her my current one. For the parts I currently have the Motherboard on the way along with the RAM, the Case is sat beside me and that's it so far. I think i'll be buying the cooling equipment and processor sometime next week.

Comment

That's all fair enough. Not meaning to be sexist but my sister/mum/girlfriend/everygirlever all seem to ruin every laptop they get their hands on, they always turn into slow pieces of..

Another small thing you might want to consider is I've heard WD drives are a bit better than seagate, I know my seagate barracuda 500gb thing is getting a bit loud and clicky and sounds like it's going to clonk out all the time. Might just be worth thinking about.

Finally do you have a rough budget for the rest of the build? I assume you can stagger it until she leaves in September-ish?

Comment

Originally posted by fadedsilhouette View Post
                That's all fair enough. Not meaning to be sexist but my sister/mum/girlfriend/everygirlever all seem to ruin every laptop they get their hands on, they always turn into slow pieces of..
                Haha exactly the same as me, my PC never had a virus, slow down or crash etc... Sisters laptop i've restored around 5 times along with several anti virus sweeps. Same goes with other relatives, guess its the fact of not having much computer knowledge and not particularly caring. WD drives sound good to me, I've had my current Seagate for about 2-3 years and no problems. With regards to budget I've just said to myself keep it around 800 - 1000 but currently i'm going as the crow flies.

Comment

It's worth noting not all XFX are seasonic OEM, just the better ones (like this)
                  i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

ok thanks for the confirmation, another thought that's just crossed my mind is sleeves for the cables. I know you buy these separately but is their a reliable place I can get white/black sleeves for this PSU, quick google suggests not to mix and match PSU types and their cables for safety reasons. I'm guessing the bay is a good place to look?

Comment

Are you planning on using extensions or buying pre-braided cables that attatch to the PSU directly?
                      i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

Ummmm, honestly I don't know. This will be the first time doing this sort of thing so i'm guessing the extensions simply clip onto the existing ones you're given but leave a lot of extra cable lying around, whereas the pre-braided don't? Sorry for being a little useless regarding this. I'm going to take a guess at saying the extensions are easier to get hold of though.

Comment

One other thing, get a 6600K over the 4690K.
                          ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Originally posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
                            One other thing, get a 6600K over the 4690K.
                            Damn never even realised, looks like a return on the mobo to get a compatible one. One benefit is the 1151 socket has a lot more white/black boards to chose from

Edit: Done some research and although its newer, the gains most people speculate and benchmark from the one video I saw aren't that massive compared to the 4690k.
                            Last edited by jakey118118; 07-08-15, 19:34.

Comment

I'm not sure how long they'll stay on the 1151 socket for but if it's first gen of that then there could be few more. Going 6600K means you have the option to upgrade if next gen is a beast or something..

Comment

Working...
                              X