noisy PSU fan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noisy PSU fan

i have the stock fan that comes with the AMD FX - 6300, build is a few months old now and ive put a fair few hours into the PC, over the last few weeks the CPU fan has started getting quite loud, it sounds a little like its not quite spinning right as it is a slight 2 tone rattle

checking the temps it is running fine, i just checked using ASUS's AI suite 2 and it is running on silent at 26 degrees on 34% power with it on 'silent' setting, might be of note that ti doesn't really increase in volume if i put it onto max fan speed

has anyone got any suggestions?
    Last edited by Gunslinger; 26-05-15, 13:14. Reason: update title and move sections

in fact scrap all that..............

i just had the side of again whilst running and im wide awake, not post night shift this time

the rattle is actually coming from the PSU, which is a 500w super flower affair

so new suggestions please, i never got round to flipping it so it is upside down as suggested, maybe there is a bit a dust inside getting in the road, will give have a play this w/e

Comment

No one?

Could a grown up move this to the psu bit?

Comment

If you can get it out of the Rig without disconnecting everything (ie cable management getting in the way), check to make sure nothing is loose, then power up the system, with the PSU in the normal orientation, then carefully flip it over, and see if that solves the noise issue, if it does, then you have 2 options.

Mount it the other way up, and carry on as if nothing was wrong.
        or
        RMA the unit as it will still be within warranty, Superflower are usually pretty good with warranties.

I don't understand PSU companies, with the exception of a couple, like BeQuiet and Corsair (in their expensive models), companies continually fit noisy crap fans, some are well known for noise, and you see it time and time again in reviews, people bitching of high load noise, there is no need for it, and to be honest, once a PSU runs out of warranty, i'd be tempted to open it up and swap out the fan anyway for a quieter one if the original was noisy!

last ditched test would be to restrict the fan and then power up the unit to confirm fan noise, but you may not need to do that.

EDIT:
        oh, and sorry to hear of the issues, cause that was the one i recommended in your build lists right ? - PSU companies don't make fans generally, and as such they kinda have to rely on their fan supplier/partner to not pick wrong !

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"
        - EPIC EULA M$ !...... thanks, but no thanks! - GWX Control Panel

Comment

cheers for the feedback man

what is the tollerance on noise levels of components? as in at what point are you allowed to say it is a problem? it did used to run super super silent

and yeah i accept your apology, i blame you and your choices completely

Comment

also, whilst i'm thinking about it, a few months down the line, a few more quid built up

do you have to RMA like for like, do you know? or do aria let you take it as an opportunity to upgrade? give me chance to go modular rather than non and have a much neater set up cables wise?

obv paying for it

Comment

You will receive a replacement. If a replacement is not available, then you will receive an equal or better PSU in return, but this is very unlikely.

Which PSU is it?
              ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

as it happens it has been d/c

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=61622

no idea what an equal or better PSU would be?

it cost 63.59 and the closest at that price is this at 64.79

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=57006

not the most educated of comparisons

Comment

It'll depend if they can get it replaced by their supplier, which they probably can. I wouldn't count on getting anything different in return at this stage.
                  ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

yup i never thought about that at all

when it is quiet im more than happy with the PSU as is and it used to run pretty close to silent

Comment

It may just be slightly off balance, and it may settle again soon. Have you recently tried cleaning it by any chance?

Comment

No but I intend to have a tinkle this weekend when I have more time

Comment

Originally posted by dwoo View Post
                          No but I intend to have a tinkle this weekend when I have more time
                          i wouldn't advise peeing on it, it'll end in tears

As for what constitutes a problem, i'd say any unexpected change in operation, within a relatively short period of time, such as this, where previous noise free operation could quite reasonably be expected to continue.

Oddly enough, i can't see warranty info on the Superflower site but i suspect it'll run a while after the usual one year with retailer.

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"

Comment

We're only on 5 months anyway so all is well re cover

And I'll tinkle where I please good sir

Comment

can you make a video, with audio of course of the issue/noise ?

Comment

Working...
                              X