• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable Rant

Maker: Corsair
    Model: RM-450
    Type: Fully Modular
    Cable Type: Flat Ribbon Style

"Flat cables are easier to route, they're flexible and user friendly" - B***S*** complete and utter crap, not a word of truth in it, more accurate description... "Cheaper to produce, but they're crap, so we will sell you a braided set for the same cost as the PSU!"

"Modular is easier to fit, and makes life simpler when building your system" - crock of crap, they are only that, if 1. you don't make them so big you need more space to remove them than a non-modular design needs, and 2. if you dont make the PSU bigger than all others in it's class, and 3. you don't have to remove the PSU to fit the plugs because, as it's only a 450w PSU, you might want to use it in a smaller case

"Generous cable lengths provided" - read "we've made them so long that you'll not fit them in anything short of a generous sized tower case, and because we used that crap ribbon style, you can forget about easy cable management!"

"compatible with our iLink software" - oh yeah, only if you fork out more money for a stupid little link cable, that should have been supplied with the PSU, you tight fisted

i'm now having to buy 30cm braided 24pin ATX cable and 30cm braided 8 pin CPU cables separately, i'd like a SATA one too, but, only need one connector on the end, as all i have is a DVDRW to power, oh and a spare one incase i add a HDD later.

stupid corsair PSU is not looking so good a value for money now, even though i did get it for a good price, might as well have bought a better quality seasonic unit, this is the LAST corsair piece of crap i am ever going to use

Last edited by Gunslinger; 18-05-15, 14:35.

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"
    - EPIC EULA M$ !...... thanks, but no thanks! - GWX Control Panel

ZOMG looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooool

Are these the ones i've got on my 750 RM? Found these quite nice, they fit through the cable routing grommets well and folded flat behind the mobo tray for a neat finish..

Originally posted by Aaron
    I want those sweet cherries

Comment

i7 2600K @ 4.5| Asrock Z68 Extreme4| 16GB 1866Mhz Crucial Ballistix |AMD R9 290| 120GB SSD |Win7 64bit

Comment

Never had an issue, had some on a cooler master gold PSU, easier to work with I reckon.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

Only issue I have with Corsair modular cables are that the sata connectors are the wrong way up for cases where the bottom mounted
          I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by coiler View Post
            ZOMG looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooool

Are these the ones i've got on my 750 RM? Found these quite nice, they fit through the cable routing grommets well and folded flat behind the mobo tray for a neat finish..

[IMGm]http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr57/coilercat77/gtx-47_zps6d227c76.jpg[/IMGm]

yeah, those are the horrid things, (EDIT: - look how much space that PSU takes up after the back panel, those cables are a nightmare!!)

getting some from a place in Birmingham that makes to order, like this....

[imgm]http://s1.postimg.org/6puxaykgv/image.jpg[/imgm] [imgm]http://s1.postimg.org/ry8lsdyxr/image.jpg[/imgm]

those will be 30cm and i've ordered a couple of single ended SATA power ones as well, one at 75cm and one at 30cm

also a few more odd internal cables sata/usb from that german company i found that does all sorts of weird angles - but i wish i'd ordered a couple of more now, with different angles to give me more options, especially as they have a 10 euro minimum order !
            Last edited by Gunslinger; 18-05-15, 14:34.

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"

Comment

Originally posted by wonderlust View Post
              Only issue I have with Corsair modular cables are that the sata connectors are the wrong way up for cases where the bottom mounted
              you do know you can swap them around right ?? ... but yeah, i know what you mean, especially those mid run where the cables try their hardest to always twist the wrong way !!

Comment

I'll give you that on the flat cables tbh, I ended up forking out for a load of braided cables also.
                GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

gonna be a few days before i get them, because the guys busy, probably should have just hit the buy it now on ebay on the 2 "off the shelve" ones he had, and contacted him after about the SATA ones, on a plus point my german sourced ones are on their way

Comment

Not a fan of flat cables here too.
                    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5.AMD FX8150 @3.5Ghz. 8Gb Mushkin Redline, MSI 7950 TFIII BE, 120Gb Mushkin Chronos + 256Gb Crucial M4 + 2x2Tb F3 Spinpoint Eco-Greens + 1x 3Tb Seagate. Antec 900 Watt PSU . Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Problem with flat cables, is that as soon as you need to twist them - they are wider than round ones! Massive PITA tbh.
                      Play3r | News, Reviews & Competitions

Comment

yup, another PITA is the guy i contacted about the custom cables, he's dragging his heals, i could have bought the 2 standard ones from him via ebay and have them by now, and then afterwards spoken to him about the sata power onees, instead i contacted him about all of them together, and he's barely replied to my emails, which is p!ssing me off

Comment

Pexon by any chance? If so I'll abuse him on Skype!
                          Play3r | News, Reviews & Competitions

Comment

no, shakmods

heard from him today, apologizing for slow reply because he's been overly busy

Comment

Cables finally arrived, look great, but are all pretty much useless

The 24pin and 8pin at 30cm are only just 30cm, if being generous, and that's including the plug lengths! so the cable length between the plugs is less, so the 8 pin wont reach on initial check, i'll fit it to the psu and see how close it'll be, but i think it's going in the bin, The 24pin i will have to cut some holes in the drive cage to route through there, as there isn't a hope it'll route around. The 75cm one for the DVD drive, is 2cm short of 75, including the plugs, and that's after i re-adjusted the length because he asked if 80cm was right as it sounded long, i based it on the stock one, as i wanted a little longer, turns out it's about the same if not less, but won't turn as tight out of the plug, so effectively less, so i doubt that one will route with the cable out of the way like i want, and the last one is probably going to be ok, but as that was a spare for if an extra drive was fitted it was hardly vital !

So, very disappointed, and seriously pi**ed off, this PSU has now cost me far too much, and has held the build up, and subsequent sale of the machine it's replacing, and i still don't have a serviceable set of cables.

I will have to sit down tomorrow and plan a way forward, which might just involve this PSU hitting the trash, i am that annoyed with it.... i'm not going back to the guy about the cables, i had to badger him to get these done, and pay for saturday delivery, and he had every opportunity to tell me he was measuring including the plastic plugs, which he didn't, had he done so i'd have added at least an inch to each cable, if not more, even without extra my measurements would have still been tight, but would likely have fitted.

I'll probably end up dismantling the braided ones to get the plugs and pins, then do the same to the originals, and cut those back to the length i need and then rebuild the ends. As for the long SATA power ones, i'll probably end up taking the mid point plugs off the original long one, and use heatshrink to cover the points where the cable is cut into and using that one, as i think the braided one is going to be about 5cm at least too short.

all in all, not a good experience
                              Last edited by Gunslinger; 30-05-15, 18:28.

Comment

Working...
                              X