Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What PSU Wattage will be fine for this build?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What PSU Wattage will be fine for this build?

Morning everyone,

Putting together the last pieces of an order and one area I'm always unsure on is which PSU wattage to pick up?!

Now, I've settled on the Corsair RM range and have been toying between 650 & 750. I'm hoping 650W is more than enough as it is slighter smaller and size will help a lot as I'm fitting everything into a BitFenix Phenom M case.

CPU: i5 4690K
    MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Gene Z97
    GFX: Gigabyte GTX750 Windforce 3X
    SSD: 1x Samsung 840 Evo 500GB
    HDD: 1x WD Black 1TB 7200RPM
    CPU Cooler: Still undecided on either Corsair H60 or H80i (size reasons)
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1600
    No optical drives
    Probably 2x 120mm fans and a 140mm fan.

I really want the 650 to be enough but if its borderline I'd rather play it safe with the 750W. Again, price is no issue, it's just down to size in the case! (3cm difference in height - could get close to the GPU)

Many Thanks

-Sully
    Intel i5 4690 | MSI Gaming 5 MATX | Corsair RM650 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | MSI GTX970 4GB OC | 500GB Samsung 840 Evo Series SSD | BitFenix Phenom M Nvidia Edition | Corsair H100i CPU Cooler |

The RM 650 should be more than enough for that setup.

Comment

more than enough, i'd stick a superflower 550w golden green with that, the gtx 750 is pretty frugal with power, and the ssd too, and with the hdd running as a secondary drive will draw less power than using it as a system drive, overclocking would draw a little more than normal, but i think thew 550w would probably still be fine.

point of note, there's a discounted RM psu in the open box section

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"
      - EPIC EULA M$ !...... thanks, but no thanks! - GWX Control Panel

Comment

I would get the 650W as well, gives you more room later if you add anything in, less load on the PSU as well so less heat and less noise.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

if you are convinced you want 650w and modular, and gold rated..... then this is where i'd be heading from the current ranges stocked, without a doubt

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"

Comment

Appreciate the help everyone!

I think with my heart set on the RM range (flat cable design / low - zero noise through fan tech ) i will get the RM650!

Many Thanks

-Sully
            Intel i5 4690 | MSI Gaming 5 MATX | Corsair RM650 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | MSI GTX970 4GB OC | 500GB Samsung 840 Evo Series SSD | BitFenix Phenom M Nvidia Edition | Corsair H100i CPU Cooler |

Comment

as an owner of both corsair and superflower units i have no hesitation in planting my flag on the superflower side of that debate.

corsair have left me nothing but disappointed for a while with everything but their top line products having a feeling of cost cutting about them.

but i also know what it is like to desire a product and that alone is worth buying it, as feeling happy with something you want is priceless
              "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
              Plato

Comment

corsair have been a campaigner for those flat ribbon style cables, some like them some dont, i don't was disappointed when seasonic started using them in their uk X series units whilst still using the nicer braided stuff in the usa versions

Comment

Working...
                X