Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIT power supplys ... more information ect

Hi guys
    i have decided to write this thread due to the fact that C.I.T power supplys are excellent psu,s and are largely unknown the many pc users... so here im going to give you some general information regarding the C.I.T power supply range including their reliability and performance
    C.I.T power supplys are avalible in several colours.. theres the gold range which look nice however they are no better than other just because they are gold... and then theres the black gaming range which in my opinion are class... these range from 450watts right up to 750watts... then finally theres the 80+ range which are avalible up to 900watt... however they are currently not avalible on MD
    im currently using the 650watt black gaming version and im extremely pleased with its performance up to now... its single 6pin pci-express connector powers my XFX GTS250 without any problems and the 2 x sata power connectors are just enough to power my sata II drives
    however the motherboard 24pin and 12pin connectors are fine for standard atx cases however if like me you have a bottom mounted psu then you will need to buy extenders ( can be purchased at http://www.***********.co.uk/Home/Se.../Power-Cables/ )
    so the range starts with the 450watt model :

this is rated at 450w and comes with a uk power lead ( as does all c.i.t black power supplys ) ....and the specifications are as follows :
    +3.3V+5V+12V1+12V2-12V+5VSB
    20A 30A 10A 13A 0.3A 2A
    as you can see the +12v rails are not that powerful however this would be ideal for a media center pc running something like a geforce 8400gs.... or a radeon HD3450 ... however do not use this psu with a geforce 9800gt or gts250.....
    for those cards the 550W model would be a better option :
    [IMG]http://static.************/images/products/952865-a.jpg[/IMG]
    this unlike the 450W model comes with a dedicated 6pin pci-express connector which is ideal for geforce mid range cards and radeon mid range cards .... these cards normally only require a single 6pin pci-express connector so this is ideal and with 2 x sata connectors and 5 x molex theres plenty of connectors to choose from ...
    the specifications for the 550W model is as follows :
    +3.3V+5V+12V1+12V2-12V+5VSB
    28A 30A 16A 16A 0.3A 2.5A
    the +12v rails on this model appear to be much better and with a combined total of 32A this is enough for cards such as " geforce 9800gt,gts250,radeon HD4850" and should even run the radeon HD4870... however you may need to set up a pci-express connector using a adapter
    above the 550W model theres a 600w,650w,700w and a 750w.. and thats the model i shall finish with... and to be honest its a strong psu... even at 750w and allowing for the non-branded "over-rating of power supplys" you should easily be receiving 650w....
    the 750w C.I.T psu still retails at under 30 ( http://www.***********.co.uk/Home/Pr...v-CE-PFC-Model ) and for this you get some decent rails and a psu that should power cards up to and including the GTX260 AND HD4890
    and with dual +12v rails with 20A on each of the rails this is one of the best budget power supplys around... i mean i wont use anything in my pc... however i will use C.I.T power supplys any day of the week
    to help with anyone buying a C.I.T power supply heres the ampages ect for each model.. and theres also the connectors that come with each model
    1) 480w ........24/20pin connector...12v 4pin connector ... 4 x molex .... 2 x sata ... and 1 x floppy
    2) 500w ........24/20pin connector...12v 4pin connector ... 4 x molex .... 2 x sata ... and 1 x floppy
    3) 550w ........24/20pin connector...12v 4pin connector ... 5 x molex .... 2 x sata ... and 1 x floppy...1 x pci-express
    4) 600w ........24/20pin connector...12v 4pin connector ... 5 x molex .... 2 x sata ... and 1 x floppy...1 x pci-express
    5) 650w ........24/20pin connector...12v 4pin connector ... 5 x molex .... 2 x sata ... and 1 x floppy...1 x pci-express
    6) 700w ........24/20pin connector...12v 4pin connector ... 5 x molex .... 2 x sata ... and 1 x floppy...1 x pci-express
    7) 750w ........24/20pin connector...12v 4pin connector ... 7 x molex .... 2 x sata ... and 2 x floppy...1 x pci-express
    8) 850w ........24/20pin connector...12v 4pin connector ... 4 x molex .... 4 x sata ... and 2 x floppy...2 x pci-express( 1 x 6pin/1 x 8pin )
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    and heres the wattages,amps ect :
    MODEL +3.3V / +5V / +12V 1 / +12V 2 / -12V / +5VSB / TOTAL OUTPUT
    480W 28A 30A 10A 13A 0.3A 2A 480W
    500W 28A 30A 14A 13A 0.3A 2.5A 500W
    550W 28A 30A 16A 16A 0.3A 2.5A 550W
    600W 28A 30A 18A 18A 0.3A 2.5A 600W
    650W 28A 30A 20A 19A 0.3A 2.5A 650W
    700W 29A 32A 21A 21A 0.3A 2.5A 700W
    750W 30A 33A 24A 24A 0.3A 2.5A 750W
    850W 30A 33A 28A 28A 0.3A 2.5A 850W
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and finally and quite important heres the appoximate cable lengths .... and i beleive theres no where else online you can find out this information :

1) 24pin motherboard connector 15.5" (approx )
    2) 12v motherboard connector 16.5" ...
    3) molex/molex/floppy configuration 8" ...... 12.5" .........16" ( molex,molex,floppy )
    4) molex/molex ................12.5" ..........16" ( molex,molex )
    5) sata/sata ...............10" ................14" (sata,sata )
    6) pci-express ..........12"
    these are approximate measurments however they will at least give you a idea of the measurements..and if like me you have a bottom mounted psu you may need to buy a extender for both the 24pin and 12v motherboard connectors
    i hope this has helped anyone who,s considering buying a c.i.t psu... these are the best budget power supplys by far and represent excellent value !
    take care guys

• BigIan88
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
    Face... meet palm.

That's atrocious.

Reading the above, I felt the same way!

Leave a comment:

• Moonchester
    replied
    Something with lots of disk drives and lots of lights..

Leave a comment:

• PhillipM
    replied
    Originally posted by Mokey View Post
    I'm trying to think what you could possibly be powering that would need 750w but only 1 6 pin.
    Probably to stop you getting anywhere close to 750w

Leave a comment:

• Mokey
    replied
    Face... meet palm.

That's atrocious.
    I'm trying to think what you could possibly be powering that would need 750w but only 1 6 pin.

Leave a comment:

• TheMadDutchDude
    replied
    Face... meet palm.

That's atrocious.

Leave a comment:

• Mokey
    replied
    Your 650 watt unit has a single 6 pin PCIE connector and two SATA connectors? Doesn't that tell you it's ****? I've got a 35 XFX 450 watt unit with more than that. Also, I guarantee you this unit would put out 450 watts and yours would pop trying to do that.
    The 750w only has the 1 6 pin too.

Leave a comment:

• mac124
    replied
    Originally posted by Spaceboy View Post
    I agree with others here though... for budget "office" type builds, they should be fine, but I would never run one in a rig with a dedicated GPU requiring PCIe power.
    Pretty much how i feel about CIT and other "buget" psu's that are, at best, quoting peak power output.

Leave a comment:

• PhillipM
    replied
    I'd rate FSP as some of the best you can buy regardless, all my units have been high quality internals and great voltage control, even their beige box units. And they make the internals for many of the big brand names too.

My generic FSP 600w unit here has more power available on the 12v rails than that 850w CIT does, and it's continuous rated too, not peak.

Leave a comment:

• Broadsword1976
    replied
    I've got two CiT PSUs here at the moment... a brand new 480 and an older one - one of the Gold coloured 650Watts (hopefully not "of Death" ) - both seem fairly solid - I'll happily build a low end gaming machine with both of them but nothing expensive - I agree entirely with Chaz, the PSU is the heart of the machine and simply not worth skimping on if you want a safe and stable set-up...I'd say that a power unit should take up about a sixth of the total budget of the whole tower w/o OS.

In fairness even the bestest and most costly of PSUs can fail hard..It's just that it becomes less likely the more you spend - however I'm more than happy to use cheap units in cheap PCs and CiT are one of the best I've come across, I'd rate them on a par with FSP and well above the likes of Ace/Pulse and EZ Cool.

Leave a comment:

• Chaz
    replied
    Originally posted by andyn View Post
    Actually CIT are pretty good value tbh. I go for seasonic myelf so obviously I'm in agreement with the 'spend more on your PSU' argument above, but it depends what you are building. If you're building 50 cheap machines to run windows in an office environment or something, you're not going to fill them with seasonics or corsair RM units - so where you are looking at budget PSU it's good to know which OEMs produce reliable budget units.
    Oh of course I agree on the low end completely but the suggestion that a 750W PSU for 30 is anything other than a system failure waiting to happen (assuming you are using hardware that requires that wattage) is what I objected to more so.

Leave a comment:

• Spaceboy
    replied
    Good to have that extra info for sure, lots of other makers should readily provide that kind of info!

I agree with others here though... for budget "office" type builds, they should be fine, but I would never run one in a rig with a dedicated GPU requiring PCIe power.

Leave a comment:

• TheMadDutchDude
    replied
    Your 650 watt unit has a single 6 pin PCIE connector and two SATA connectors? Doesn't that tell you it's ****? I've got a 35 XFX 450 watt unit with more than that. Also, I guarantee you this unit would put out 450 watts and yours would pop trying to do that.
    Last edited by TheMadDutchDude; 07-10-14, 16:51.

Leave a comment:

• PhillipM
    replied
    Didn't CiT used to be the same guys as the gold-psu-of-death camp?

Leave a comment:

• andyn
    replied
    Actually CIT are pretty good value tbh. I go for seasonic myelf so obviously I'm in agreement with the 'spend more on your PSU' argument above, but it depends what you are building. If you're building 50 cheap machines to run windows in an office environment or something, you're not going to fill them with seasonics or corsair RM units - so where you are looking at budget PSU it's good to know which OEMs produce reliable budget units.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X