Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GTX 780 SC SLI PSU headroom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GTX 780 SC SLI PSU headroom

    Hi Guys,

    Just bought a second EVGA GTX 780 SC from omega in the TP, before I install it will my AX760i be sufficient? I'm running an Asus Maximus Gene VII, 4690K + H80i (with push pull), 16 GB Kingston Beast @ 2400 MHz and 2 SSD's. I've searched around and most people seem to say yes it's OK, but some say it's not, so before I go ahead has anyone got any input? I value your opinions

    Cheers,

    R.
    PC: 4790K|H110i|Z97 Sabertooth Mk1|SLI GTX 980 SC|16 GB Beast 2400 MHz|2x850 Pro RAID0|W7|HX1000i|NZXT H440 SE|Dell U3415W|Genelec 8040a|Dacmagic Plus
    Mac Pro: Dual 6 Core X5690 Xeons|64 GB ECC|7970 Windforce 3|512 GB NVMe PCIe|2xWD Black 4 TB Raid 0|OS X 10.11.3|2x27" Apple Cinema Displays|KRK V4 Series 2

  • #2
    Yeah it will be fine.
    GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

    Comment


    • #3
      load up corsair link software an you'll see if it's fine or not

      4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the input guys, the Corsair Link Software is a MASSIVE pile of poo... latest version worked once and now crashes every single time it's opened, if I uninstall and re-install it works once and then crashes on every subsequent launch, if I revert to the older version that does work it fails to detect my PSU
        PC: 4790K|H110i|Z97 Sabertooth Mk1|SLI GTX 980 SC|16 GB Beast 2400 MHz|2x850 Pro RAID0|W7|HX1000i|NZXT H440 SE|Dell U3415W|Genelec 8040a|Dacmagic Plus
        Mac Pro: Dual 6 Core X5690 Xeons|64 GB ECC|7970 Windforce 3|512 GB NVMe PCIe|2xWD Black 4 TB Raid 0|OS X 10.11.3|2x27" Apple Cinema Displays|KRK V4 Series 2

        Comment


        • #5
          Ahh, didn't see there was a new RC available, cleaned the old version off my system and installed the new RC and all seems stable for now, will run some tests to see what kind of draw this all takes
          PC: 4790K|H110i|Z97 Sabertooth Mk1|SLI GTX 980 SC|16 GB Beast 2400 MHz|2x850 Pro RAID0|W7|HX1000i|NZXT H440 SE|Dell U3415W|Genelec 8040a|Dacmagic Plus
          Mac Pro: Dual 6 Core X5690 Xeons|64 GB ECC|7970 Windforce 3|512 GB NVMe PCIe|2xWD Black 4 TB Raid 0|OS X 10.11.3|2x27" Apple Cinema Displays|KRK V4 Series 2

          Comment


          • #6
            run yes, overclock? not so much.

            i know a guy with a 4770k@4ghz and sli 780 on an ax 860 and he can crash his system by going past 1150 or 1200mhz on the cards which both do more alone.

            worth keeping in mind if you do see any issues
            "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
            Plato

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks bud, no overclocks at my end, they are SC cards, but I've not pushed them any further, did a load of benching last night and a the system with a single card didn't get past 351W, so will put the other one in today and run through the same tests What bothers me a little is the amperage on the +12V, my PSU can give 63.3A but I think I need a little more ~65A, I guess if the PC switches off mid bench then I have my answer and more pennies to be spent on a beefier PSU
              PC: 4790K|H110i|Z97 Sabertooth Mk1|SLI GTX 980 SC|16 GB Beast 2400 MHz|2x850 Pro RAID0|W7|HX1000i|NZXT H440 SE|Dell U3415W|Genelec 8040a|Dacmagic Plus
              Mac Pro: Dual 6 Core X5690 Xeons|64 GB ECC|7970 Windforce 3|512 GB NVMe PCIe|2xWD Black 4 TB Raid 0|OS X 10.11.3|2x27" Apple Cinema Displays|KRK V4 Series 2

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by radial View Post
                Thanks bud, no overclocks at my end, they are SC cards, but I've not pushed them any further, did a load of benching last night and a the system with a single card didn't get past 351W, so will put the other one in today and run through the same tests What bothers me a little is the amperage on the +12V, my PSU can give 63.3A but I think I need a little more ~65A, I guess if the PC switches off mid bench then I have my answer and more pennies to be spent on a beefier PSU
                Theirs always wiggle room with specs

                example my ax1200i is rated for 1200w, however in reviews it's often seen delivering 1500w of power without issue

                it's just not recommended to go over the rated wattage for long periods of time

                4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by marsey99 View Post
                  run yes, overclock? not so much.

                  i know a guy with a 4770k@4ghz and sli 780 on an ax 860 and he can crash his system by going past 1150 or 1200mhz on the cards which both do more alone.

                  worth keeping in mind if you do see any issues
                  lolwut I've had my 3930K OC'ed at 4.5Ghz with those SLI 780s clocked at 1200 on an AX860i with plenty of headroom
                  Originally posted by coiler
                  He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
                  Originally posted by BigIan88
                  turn off that sexy nonsense
                  Originally posted by Salad Soup
                  turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    the 110/240 efficiency issue could be the cause, but yea it is what it is dude. just relaying the info i have seen you know.

                    i know if he could of benched them higher together he would of, and will try again when he gets a bigger psu. then we will know for sure if it is the issue but it looks more than likely.

                    his symptoms are exactly the same as when i was sliing the 560ti and could either run 4.2ghz cpu and max the cards or 4.4ghz and limit the cards oc. that being said i was on a hx650 and changing to an enermax 630 with more ampage solved it for me.
                    "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                    Plato

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by marsey99 View Post
                      the 110/240 efficiency issue could be the cause, but yea it is what it is dude. just relaying the info i have seen you know.

                      i know if he could of benched them higher together he would of, and will try again when he gets a bigger psu. then we will know for sure if it is the issue but it looks more than likely.

                      his symptoms are exactly the same as when i was sliing the 560ti and could either run 4.2ghz cpu and max the cards or 4.4ghz and limit the cards oc. that being said i was on a hx650 and changing to an enermax 630 with more ampage solved it for me.
                      Odd then, has he made sure OCP disabled on rails via corsair link software. This artificially limits what the rails can put out wattage wise. Other than that reckon psu bit of a dude

                      4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        yea that was the conclusion too. not all things are made equal :/
                        "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                        Plato

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Running this 280X with my 2011 setup which has changed from a 4930k to a 3820 I'm not really pulling hardly anything from the wall at all.. Even when the card was running 3D 06/Vantage etc, it never really went over 300w total.. I'm guesing by that it would be fine for crossfire but since they bundled the PSU with cables that have two connectors on one cable (a real pet hate of mine... Should have been separate!!) I won't ever be using Crossfire with this PSU... That said, the 1200i's I have are exactly the same... Such a let down amongst a few other things as well...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Well 63.3A is 759W so that's pretty close.

                            I'm willing to bet you won't even hit 550W probs not much over 500W to be honest when gaming. Even high end graphics cards so are so much more efficient than 2/3 years ago..

                            Freedom isn't free"



                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X