Is my PSU bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my PSU bad?

My XFX 650W XXX PSU was bought a few months ago, and I never really noticed any unusual sounds, however whilst rejiggering a few things inside my case I noticed the noise coming from it wasn't "Clean" so to speak.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=k2y9...8#.VCLWEvldVHX

I've had someone tell me it's a bad fan bearing, which could go some way to explain why the PSU fan ramps up like crazy under load when things are getting hot.

Thoughts?
    Phanteks Enthoo Pro | i7-5280K | H55 | Asus Sabertooth X99 | EVGA 780 ACX SLI | 16GB Corsair LP DDR4 | 750W Corsair CX PSU | SAMSUNG EVO 250GB | Seagate 2TB HDD | DT 770 Pro | Logitech G600 | Corsair K95

I've had that PSU for a few years now and its been great for me, dead silent so I presume yours simply has a bad fan bearing. Sounds like it.

I'd look into getting it replaced. If that's not possible, it's fairly easy to replace a PSU fan. Will invalidate the warranty though.
    Desktop: Intel i5-4690K | 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI | EVGA GTX 660 3GB | Windows 10
    Server 0: Gen8 HP Microserver | Proxmox Hypervisor Server 1: Gen8 HP Microserver | FreeNAS

Comment

Originally posted by Lorem-Ipsum View Post
      I've had that PSU for a few years now and its been great for me, dead silent so I presume yours simply has a bad fan bearing. Sounds like it.

I'd look into getting it replaced. If that's not possible, it's fairly easy to replace a PSU fan. Will invalidate the warranty though.
      Yeah I don't think I noticed it when I first installed it, due to the fact I put the fan facing into the case, meaning I couldn't hear it during usage.

Bought from here so will have to give Aria's support a go!
      Phanteks Enthoo Pro | i7-5280K | H55 | Asus Sabertooth X99 | EVGA 780 ACX SLI | 16GB Corsair LP DDR4 | 750W Corsair CX PSU | SAMSUNG EVO 250GB | Seagate 2TB HDD | DT 770 Pro | Logitech G600 | Corsair K95

Comment

Agreed, it sounds like a fan bearing.

Aria are generally very good with their RMA service, for what it's worth.
        ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Yeah, just hope they dont pass it on to XFX
          Originally posted by jointhedotz
          I admit it, it's so damn good! following Alan on the downs, just getting a feel

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz View Post
            Yeah, just hope they dont pass it on to XFX
            Gaben be with me!

Comment

subbed to watch later with sound
              Originally posted by Aaron
              I want those sweet cherries

Comment

yup, sounds like a bearing, only other thing i've heard sound like that has been a sticker on a fan lifting and catching the air, before then catcing on the grill causing that noise, how does it sound/behave when it powers down ?

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"
                - EPIC EULA M$ !...... thanks, but no thanks! - GWX Control Panel

Comment

More importantly, does the noise stop when you manually stop the fan? I forgot to post that. If you jam the fan so it doesn't spin at all for a few seconds, what happens? Note: Do NOT push something far into it, just enough to stop the fan from spinning, ideally at start up when the fan isn't moving to begin with.
                  ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

I think i know where he's going with this, but i'm not sure of the methodology in the testing

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"

Comment

It's merely to determine whether it's the fan or another part of the PSU making that noise.

I'm 99% confident that it is the fan, though.

Comment

i'm 99% certain pain involving a finger is likely to be the result of this test

Comment

Don't be silly, something like a pen would be my first choice. Something that will not conduct electricity!

Comment

can't imagine which other part of the PSU might make that noise, sure as hell isn't like any coil whine i've heard, and too high a frequency to be transformer related, and too uniform to be capacitor related, similar thoughts to coil whine, weakest part of some seasonic units is the fan, they'd be better off using bequiet silent wings

LOL yes, a pen would be my choice too, but you just never know with people these days !!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
                              More importantly, does the noise stop when you manually stop the fan? I forgot to post that. If you jam the fan so it doesn't spin at all for a few seconds, what happens? Note: Do NOT push something far into it, just enough to stop the fan from spinning, ideally at start up when the fan isn't moving to begin with.

THIS!

Insert pen, turn on PC, is noise gone?
                              Originally posted by Aaron
                              I want those sweet cherries

Comment

Working...
                              X