Spec me a PSU!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spec me a PSU!

So, I currently have this: https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=56616

It's great, powers fine, isn't noisy...but the non-modular characteristic annoys me. Those that saw my posts in the 'I won at Aria' thread (I think) will know how crazy the cables are from my current PSU and how difficult it is to route them around the case.

So I'm thinking of going to a modular PSU. My spec is in my sig / the rest of the rig specs are on my profile...

Any recommendations?

Maybe this: https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...roductId=57609

I don't overclock as yet, but thinking I'm going to give it a go - my MoBo has some decent software on which allows me to 'safe' OC.
    Last edited by Stevo101; 16-08-14, 21:08.
    GIGABYTE Z97MX-Gaming 5 Intel Z97 (1150 Socket) ATX Intel i5-4690 3.5GHz (Devil's Canyon) MSi TwinFrozr 970 8Gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz Corsair AX760i PSU

2 choices here...

1) Get a modular PSU which should be easier to keep tidy. I'd recommend either of these:
    - 63 XFX 650W Bronze https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=53994
    - 65 Corsair 650W Gold https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=58174

OR

Get a new case, allowing you to keep your existing PSU but giving you more cable routing options.
    - R4 https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=51254

BTW, I checked the pics in the "I won" thread, and you can route the cpu power cable underneath the GPU where it screws into the PCI slot.
    --
    Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceboy View Post
      2 choices here...

1) Get a modular PSU which should be easier to keep tidy. I'd recommend either of these:
      - 63 XFX 650W Bronze https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=53994
      - 65 Corsair 650W Gold https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=58174

OR

Get a new case, allowing you to keep your existing PSU but giving you more cable routing options.
      - R4 https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=51254

BTW, I checked the pics in the "I won" thread, and you can route the cpu power cable underneath the GPU where it screws into the PCI slot.
      Thanks Spaceboy!

I take it the one I found is a little bit overkill? Haha.

I like my stickers on my case, so I'm likely just to change the PSU. It really needs some tidying up, but I think it'll help a lot having a modular PSU.
      Solid choices though, much appreciated.
      GIGABYTE Z97MX-Gaming 5 Intel Z97 (1150 Socket) ATX Intel i5-4690 3.5GHz (Devil's Canyon) MSi TwinFrozr 970 8Gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz Corsair AX760i PSU

Comment

How's this look?
        https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...roductId=57610

Comment

Those Be Quiet PSUs are decent yeah.

I bought one of these while we had stock: 57061

So I can't comment on overkill .

Comment

Wow, that's some PSU!
            Up to 92% efficient though, that's pretty damn good. Maybe slightly overkill though haha.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn View Post
              Those Be Quiet PSUs are decent yeah.

I bought one of these while we had stock: 57061

So I can't comment on overkill .
              Did we use a sledge hammer to crack a walnut ?

As for the BeQuiets, yeah they are pretty decent i've used a couple of them, smooth quiet fans, seem to have good airflow through the casing, i've had no issues with voltage fluctuations or ripple that i know of, and they have stayed cool all the time (although i too porobably over spec'd slightly) The modular cabling is quite nice, with reasonable quality braiding.
              The one's i've used have come from the Pure Power or Straight Power ranges, and i think the Power Zone are somewhere between those, I actually have a Straight Power 680w Gold rated right now that i picked up as a spare/use later unit because it was a good price. I'd have no problem recommending them

EDIT:
              Also, note with the BeQuiets, the rated wattage is a continuous use figure, they generally have a higher peek output, the 650w abouve peeks at about 700 i think and would run your system well enough, obviously the higher efficiency unit you can get may well make a difference
              Last edited by Gunslinger; 29-08-14, 18:10.

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"
              - EPIC EULA M$ !...... thanks, but no thanks! - GWX Control Panel

Comment

I take it with a modular PSU I'd need to buy the connecting cables separately? (ie, PSU to component)

I know sometimes you get some spare cabling in with the mobo - can't remember what I've got so will have to take a look.

Any other ideas before I pick one and go buy it? Haha!
                Last edited by Stevo101; 15-11-14, 11:18.

Comment

no dude, you just leave the ones you dont use in the box
                  "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                  Plato

Comment

no, you can buy extras, extensions, individually braided, but, the basic required cables should always be included.

look at the psu's website and reviews to seewhat type of cables are supplied, some are braided some are ribbon type, most modular units are semi-modular with the main atx board connector and 4/8 pin cpu power connector hard waired, some are however fully modular and are usually listed as such

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo101 View Post
                      Any other ideas before I pick one and go buy it? Haha!
                      since this thread Arias stock has changed, i think they now have some superflower units, and some antec units that are worth looking at.

from the bequiet range, the power zones are full modular the pure power semi-modular, aria stocks the bronze rated versions, there are some gold ones kicking around from them but they hike the price a fair bit, as far as value goes, the bequiets are in a good place right now, you get a very competent PSU for budget prices when they are on offer .... the 530w Pure Powers were on offer last week i think, and at an excellent price

Comment

I know I have a few Corsair units, but would an HX or RM or AX unit be of anyones choice?

Comment

HX are ok, mid range, the RM's are i think a little over priced, compaired to the competition, they're also a bit large size wise i think, might be worth checking, the AX range are their enthusiast range, and are by far the best, i think they have some digital circuitry listed as one of their features, they also tend to have higher efficiency ratings, but yo udo tend to pay for it !

to be fair, they are all better than some no brand model, or a CS Builder series, those are not great.

Comment

I've taken a real liking to the EVGA SuperNOVA G2 that I've got as a stop gap at the moment. It's a lovely unit.
                            ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

I've just bought an RM450 for my new server build as I needed the Enermax 350w for my HTPC that I'm going to be hopefully swapping over when the new hardware turn up.. Here's hoping it'll turn up soon as I'm looking forward to seeing what the power rating of the new server is going to be like and whether or not the new HTPC will handle the blu ray streaming....

Comment

Working...
                              X