Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU problem advice.. RMA?

Hey there guys,
    Before I go the RMA route with my new PSU, I would just like some advice on my potential issue as I'm not 100% sure if its the culprit anymore. I've had a system I put together myself with parts from here a couple years back. Alls been well. Still use the system daily. Anyway went away a week back, came home and the power pack wouldn't power on at all and just kept tripping out. I decided to buy a new RM850 corsair PSU. More juice than I really need for my rig but I like having the add options it provide should I choose to put more components in. So I installed the Psu. Everything boots up and runs perfect for a while. Then a couple hours later it powered down again. No error code, no beeps just power cut. Powers back on fine. I kept with it hoping it was a one off. Seemed it was until it did the same thing the next day. I never have my Pc off so it ran a full 24 hours, doing a multitude of varying power sucking activities without failing. Stuck with it hoping Gremlins... Stayed strong 3 days without incident. However yesterday it spent more time powering off than anything else. Intervals varied but at points was powering off before Windows had loaded to login screen.
    Today its powered off twice intervals of less than a half hour.. Well except now its currently what I'm using to write this message. Surprised its held out its been live for going on an hour.
    Sounds like faulty PSU however whats throwing me is the varying intervals of uptime and the fact when I've been trying to stress powerloads while up and running its not cutting when the draw would be higher and is just as likely if I'm staring at the desktop and stressing nothing on the system which it has done a few times.
    Any advice guys or a way for me to know for sure its that component thats faulty? Don't want to RMA it if its not even that.
    Cheers in advance.

Basic Rig details to show the kind of load thats on my PSU:
    Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6870 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366) Processor - Retail
    DFI DK X58-T3eH6 Intel x58 Socket 1366 Motherboard
    Antec Twelve Hundred 1200 Ultimate Gaming Full Tower Case - Black
    6GB RAM
    2 Optical drives,
    2 SATA 1T HD's

The Corsair RM850 should be overkill.. The fan on its not even spinning, which should mean its not even hitting the 30-40% stressed mark.

Doubt it's PSU, probably motherboard on it's way out tbh

if it was the PSU it would be 100% all the time, they either work or they don't

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Think you could be right... however that's going to be a hefty upgrade price if I need to replace my cpu too as can't seem to find a socket 1366 on this site.. don't suppose these newer intel sockets can fit an early i7 cpu?

Comment

Can you get into the BIOS to monitor cpu and board temps? I'd boot into that and leave it a while, monitor the temps.

If it's fine, boot to windows and do the same there.

Could be the cpu getting too warm if the cooler has come loose or the cpu fan has stopped ?
        Agreed with above, almost certainly not the PSU.
        --
        Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

I'm currently in the Bios monitoring the pc status tab. The temp readings are as follows:
          CPU Core temp (cpu die) : 100c
          Cpu core (super io): 78c and rising slowly (started at 64)
          Chipset: 41C
          Pwr area: 46C

Think we've found it.. I'm guessing my cup shouldn't be running so hot? 100 on the die? Also the cpu core super up rose to precisely 85c then cut out... I've been in the case and currently have it open so I'm looking directly at the cpu fan and heatsink. Have cleaned both and the fan seems to be spinning. So now I know what it is, what's my options? Cheers fellas. Much appreciated.
          Excuse the poor layout and grammar. Typing on this kindle is a chore.

Comment

Yowsers!!!

Reseat cpu cooler asap

If you have no thermal paste, then use a TINY amount of toothpaste (seriously) until you can order some proper thermal goo in

Also, might be time for a sneaky upgrade of the heatsink/fan - what HSF are you using currently ?
            --
            Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

The one that came as stock with the i7 920 chip.. Is that insufficient? I've never needed to replace a Hsf before. Saying that I haven't been upgrading my system anywhere near as much as I used to. This is probably the longest I've had the same rig, so never wore one out before.

Comment

Running at stock, the default cooler is "enough".
                If you're running or try to run any kind of overclock, then you'll soon find its limits.

Most likely if the rig's a couple of years old, then the thermal paste has probably just gone off.
                You might need to grab some cleaner, as well as some fresh goo, and a reseat should sort your issues

I suggest the cleaner as old paste can go rather solid, and if you're putting fresh stuff on it's best to start with 2 clean surfaces.
                --

Comment

Moved pc recently? knocked into it? could be one push pins on heatsink that's worked loose

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

I'll admit I was sceptical but the toothpaste worked a treat. Will be sure to get proper goo as soon as shops tomorrow allow. You've saved my wallet a good beating anyway thanks again. How safe is it to run with this toothpaste... Safe enough til morning or should to test? or should I be powering down Asap?

Comment

I'd say safe for a couple of days, but will dry out quick at high temps.
                      --

Comment

Got some proper goo now and all is working great. Cheers for the help guys. Because of the potential money saving I treat myself to a new Case!

Comment

Nice

What case?
                          --

Comment

NZXT Phantom 630 High Performance Modular Ultra Tower Case - Black

Comment

Lovely!!

I've just ordered a Fractal R4
                              --

Comment

Working...
                              X