Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What PSU's to get for what build....

Hi guys,

I'm in need of some power supply advice...

For my next project I'll be putting together a few rigs and I was hoping for a little thought when it comes to the PSU's....

One rig will be a 775 build with a QX9650 @ 3.6Ghz, 8Gb ram, 3Gb 580 GTX and a few fans and air cooling...
    Two rigs will be a 1366 build with i7 920's @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled (CPU and motherboard - Might do GPU at some point but only if I can find cheap water blocks for each of the cards...) again with a 3Gb 580GTX in both of them with the fans and pump..

Now I'm guessing that each of them won't need a massive PSU, less than 1000w... So I was guessing for the 775 build a 750w might be fine and then a 850w for the two 1366's would be more than enough.. Would I be around the right size for them??

Also I gave my friend a 2600k, 8Gb ram, 7790, OCZ SSD, 1Tb Sammy and a blu ray drive (she watches a lot of films!) and I'm wondering if a 550w or 650w would be best to throw in that? The 2600k is stock clocked as the Coolermaster cooler on it isn't the worlds best but she doesn't game or need it overclocked so, I think that the 850w can come out of that one

Anyways, woudl I be around the right lines for the PSU's or would I need something else altogether??

grab xfx 750 or 850w for each

no need go overkill, but better than having buy another psu later, because you needed extra juice

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Agree with Kev. 750W will be fine for all builds there. I'd only go for 850 if it was a really good deal, or even cheaper depending on model.

S1366 with an overclocked 580 will only reach about 550W under stress testing from experience.

Comment

Thanks guys that's what I was hoping to hear.. I remember in all of the PSU reviews that about half way is the best efficiency so this is what I was basing the 750w and 850w models on. I'll have a HX850 when I grab a smaller unit for the 2600k rig as I really doubt a 850w is needed in that :-)

I'd normally go for Corsair units as the AX units I've got have always been rock solid and quiet. You just pay a bit more for them..

Comment

You're right. You do get what you pay for

You can always tell a decent PSU before you plug it in by the weight of it. I remember pulling a 1kW OEM from a mates off the shelf 'gaming' rig and it was so light, you could play catch with it. No wonder he was BSODing all the time. New quality PSU, problems gone although he doesn't enjoy carrying his rig around any more! Haha.

Comment

yeah can't fault corsair, my HX850 5 year old an still going strong

however I have a replacement arriving tomorrow in form of AXi1200

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

I remember the PSU quality thing... I remember trying to overclock a socket a system and only getting so far.. I think it was with a Q Tec PSU.. I had a Enermax unit in replacement having less power as well yet it pushed it even further!!

I hear that Corsair are releasing a 1500w... I think that might have to make an appearance in my next build... I am wondering what to do with the two AX1200's I have but I'm sure I'll find a use for them somewhere

Please let us know what you think of the 1200 AX unit

Comment

If you're shifting an AX1200, PM me

Comment

I have two but I'm not sure I will need them but I will see and let you know

Comment

Working...
                  X