Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU tripping house electrics!

Hi all,

It seems the OCZ 750w ZT series power supply in my rig is causing the whole house electrics to trip. This happened about 5 times in one day and that was about 2 months ago. Everything has been fine since then but today the same thing has started happening and so long as the PC is unplugged everything to do with the house is fine. the PC has been at idle (desktop or web browsing) when the electrics trip.

What can I do? The power supply is about 1 and half to 2 years old now so may or may not be in warranty :/

Thanks,
    Reich.
    We can dance if we want to, We can leave your friends behind, 'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance.. Well they're no friends of mine!

100% sure it's your computer?

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

possible overloaded ring main?
      I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

Kev, any suggestions how i could test further? Ive had the PC unplugged for 2 or 3 hours now and everythings fine? Wonderlust, I thought that at first but in all honesty I haven't added anything new to the gaming room... bit confused about it all!
        We can dance if we want to, We can leave your friends behind, 'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance.. Well they're no friends of mine!

Comment

Originally posted by ReichMaster View Post
          Kev, any suggestions how i could test further? Ive had the PC unplugged for 2 or 3 hours now and everythings fine? Wonderlust, I thought that at first but in all honesty I haven't added anything new to the gaming room... bit confused about it all!
          Does it always trip with computer connected?

is it fine now? with it connected

did you move case to unplug it?

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Would it help to put a trip switch (RCD Circuit Breaker) on the socket that you plug the PC into?
            Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
            Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
            Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Originally posted by michaelkenward View Post
              Would it help to put a trip switch (RCD Circuit Breaker) on the socket that you plug the PC into?
              that's excellent idea, it will rule out whether pc cause or not

Comment

put everything you can on that ring on, kettles are the best testers and laugh in the face of any green activists who say we should lower power usage .......

or just get a sparky in who'll connect some test equipment and tell you exactly what is tripping the switch
                Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
                Forum Guidelines here

Comment

I'd get a new one and not take the risk

Comment

okay folks, sorry for not replying, had a bit of a work emergency. Lucky for me our next door neighbor is an electrician so i'll attempt to corner him later if he's not busy. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Comment

Sounds like an ideal neighbour

Comment

Surge protector with all PC stuff connected to it seems like a good idea.

Comment

First thing your neighbor will ask is if it was the over-current circuit breaker that went (modern day fuse) or the RCD, and if it was the whole house and RCD trip, then it sounds like you have a single RCD covering all of the house (which is outdated now) and tripping will be caused by excessive earth leakage, this could be from a single device, or from a combination of devices, and may actually cause a buzzing sound from the RCD.

If however, it was the circuit breaker that tripped due to over-current draw scenario rather than an RCD trip, then i'd hazard that it didn't trip the whole house, but more likely one circuit. If this is the case then moving the PC to a different ring/circuit will at least isolate if it is the PC solely or if you have an overloading issue.

As you have an electrician for a neighbor though, get him in, he'll identify the issue a lot faster than your likely to be able to, and if it's something else that we might miss, he'll likely pick it up plus, he'll be certified to carry out any electrical work should you need it.
                          Last edited by Gunslinger; 26-10-13, 03:45.

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"
                          - EPIC EULA M$ !...... thanks, but no thanks! - GWX Control Panel

Comment

Just take out the circuit braker and bung a load on tin foil in there.

It'll be fine

...PS although a doubt anyone would be that stupid, and furthermore if anyone actually did and burned their house down, I still doubt there could be any legal implications for me but....

OBVIOUSLY DONT DO THE ABOVE!
                            GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Working...
                            X