New PSU, to replace HX1000W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PSU, to replace HX1000W

Basic question, I've had my HX1000W for a few years now (maybe 5 years), it's been put through its paces in a couple of machines, and I think it's time to replace it.

There's nothing wrong with it as such, but as its been used quite heavily, plus the fact it's making a tiny bit of high-pitched noise in an otherwise 'silent' rig (nothing irritating or to indicate a fault), I've decided to get a new one.

I've been looking at a few, since I've not really bought one for a while (other than basic models for simple builds for friends) I bow to others superior knowledge on the subject, so fire away with suggestions! Will need to power the rig in my sig. Would like it to be able to run silently (i.e passive) at low loads if possible. Platinum rated? There's no price limit really as I've never wanted to skimp on PSU.
    Originally posted by coiler
    He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
    Originally posted by BigIan88
    turn off that sexy nonsense
    Originally posted by Salad Soup
    turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

What does jonnyguru say is the best of the newer PSU?

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

AX1200 next logical upgrade path

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Any decent 850W+ should be fine imo.
        However I can't vouch for the silence or otherwise of any units without looking at reviews of acoustic performance under load.

This would be a solid minimum choice : https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=54051

Alternatively, this seems to be designed with quietness in mind, and provides more than enough power : https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=57607
        --
        Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

I've looked at the AX1200 (overkill IMO) and the BeQuiets... Any particular brands to avoid?

I'd never touch another XFX GPU but I think I'm right in saying they use high quality parts in their PSUs?
          turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

Originally posted by omega View Post
            I've looked at the AX1200 (overkill IMO) and the BeQuiets... Any particular brands to avoid?

I'd never touch another XFX GPU but I think I'm right in saying they use high quality parts in their PSUs?
            PSU's are Seasonic OEM's just badged XFX

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Yeah
              XFX GPU's are to avoid, PSU's are awesome
              --
              Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

In your position I would get either an AX850 which would be fine or if you wanted to get over kill I'd get one of those 1000W Seasonic Platinum ones.
                Originally posted by jointhedotz
                I admit it, it's so damn good! following Alan on the downs, just getting a feel

Comment

I'm not totally averse to the idea of overkill, but it'd have to be something special silent cool and platinum efficiency (like that Seasonic / XFX I'm guessing)

Comment

Doesnt really get much better than a platinum Seasonic
                    Originally posted by jointhedotz
                    I admit it, it's so damn good! following Alan on the downs, just getting a feel

Comment

The 860W is only a fiver cheaper than the 1000W

No-brainer much?

Comment

EVGA Supernovas reviewed really well at jonnyguru and there's no better place for a PSU recommendation.

1300w gold is 149.

Bargain really.

Or the 1000w platinum is 147.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

i always get more watts than i might need as you never know what you will have months years down the road, get the best you can afford, bargains to be had if look around

Comment

Originally posted by TAZ007 View Post
                            i always get more watts than i might need as you never know what you will have months years down the road, get the best you can afford, bargains to be had if look around
                            that an bigger wattage units can run at 20-30% loading totally fanless

Comment

^ was thinking this, gives you a bigger window in which it'll be running fanless.

Leaning towards the Seasonic 1000W tbh.

Comment

Working...
                              X