PSU advice please :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU advice please :D

I currently have a coolermaster GX 750W. Never had any problems with it. I did however have a graphics card go dead last year and apparently the PSU is not good - produces noisy current which can damage things.

Just wondering if any of you that know things about things can advise whether or not I should replace it as I've just ordered a shiny 770 that I would like to stay in one piece.

Had the thing for 2 years and except that card which could have been caused by anything really nothing in the PC has gone wrong

If you don't trust it mate don't do it. As you said it could have been anything or the card just died, I would get one of these if you don't. Solid as a rock. https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=53994

Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7. Ryzen 1700. 16GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB. Zotac GTX980ti Amp Omega Edition. Samsung 840 500 GB SSD. WD 1 TB Green. XFX 750w XTR Psu. Creative GIgaworks T20 series 2 speakers. Asus DX 7.1. Phanteks Enthoo ATX Glass case. iiyama G-master GE2788HS Monitor. Cyborg V7. TT Theron mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Traldera View Post
      I currently have a coolermaster GX 750W. Never had any problems with it. I did however have a graphics card go dead last year and apparently the PSU is not good - produces noisy current which can damage things.

Just wondering if any of you that know things about things can advise whether or not I should replace it as I've just ordered a shiny 770 that I would like to stay in one piece.

Had the thing for 2 years and except that card which could have been caused by anything really nothing in the PC has gone wrong
      What you talk of is called ripple, cheaper psu's tend to suffer larger ripple spikes which can damage hardware over time. Read reviews of psu's to avoid the dreadful ripple usually johnnyguru is review site go to with regards to psu's

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

I personally NEVER skimp on a PSU. A good one is a good investment and will last you through several builds/rebuilds. A bad one can go bang and take your pride and joy with it.

Aria have a few that I'd definitely invest in:

Seasonic P-760. Currently on offer @ 146.99
        Corsair AX760 and AXi760 @ 137.70 or 158.10 respectively (the AXi version uses some wizardry to provide cleaner, more stable power)

Other PSUs that I'd consider although not available at Aria is the Antec Hi Current Pro series and also Enermax Revolution and Platimax series (deeper pockets required)

Comment

Whilst I appreciate that bing they are a tad past my budget and you dont need to spend THAT much to get them.

Here are my requirements, first is most important:
          1) quality - clean power
          2) quiet
          3) efficient

Also I want 750W, I could do 650W but i always keep 150-200 headroom as a habbit...although feel free to link 650 if you got a good one!
          Semi-Modular as a minimum please!!!!!

My choices are:
          - 750W XFX Pro XXX Edition
          - Corsair CX750M
          - 750W EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G

I hear good things about the XFX. Corsair is corsair. EVGA is gold but apparently is that good with voltage (again i dont understand this stuff)

Comment

You've not given a budget yet

Having used loads of beQuiet PSUs over the last year or so, I'd go with this: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=57197
            Corsair 600T | Asus Sabertooth Z77 ATX | Intel i5-3570k | Corsair H100i | Corsair Vengeance LP Black 16GB | EVGA GTX670 2GB | Mushkin Chronos 240GB

Comment

I'd avoid the Corsair CX range tbh.
              XFX or BQ are the obvious choices on Aria.... no idea what that Zalman ZM is like http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=57013
              Although if you're spending 90+, you may as well get the Seasonic for 105 (only 6x8-pin though ) : http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/...roductId=57143
              --
              Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Re branded Seasonic is a no brainer to me, each to his own.https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=53995

Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7. Ryzen 1700. 16GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB. Zotac GTX980ti Amp Omega Edition. Samsung 840 500 GB SSD. WD 1 TB Green. XFX 750w XTR Psu. Creative GIgaworks T20 series 2 speakers. Asus DX 7.1. Phanteks Enthoo ATX Glass case. iiyama G-master GE2788HS Monitor. Cyborg V7. TT Theron mouse.

Comment

Well you didn't mention a budget dude so I just put what I'd recommend as it's what I'd shell out on.

Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum etc has nothing to do with voltage. It's the efficiency of the PSU between the wall socket and useable power. With regards to efficiency calculations, it's quite simple. An 80% efficient 500W PSU will provide 500W of power but require 625W to do so... (500/80)*100=625W

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceboy View Post
                    Although if you're spending 90+, you may as well get the Seasonic for 105 (only 6x8-pin though ) : http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/...roductId=57143
                    That's Aria's **** up on the webpage. It's supplied with 6x 6/8pin PCI-E connectors

Comment

Re: PSU advice please

Originally posted by Bing View Post
                      Well you didn't mention a budget dude so I just put what I'd recommend as it's what I'd shell out on.

Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum etc has nothing to do with voltage. It's the efficiency of the PSU between the wall socket and useable power. With regards to efficiency calculations, it's quite simple. An 80% efficient 500W PSU will provide 500W of power but require 625W to do so... (500/80)*100=625W
                      Yeah my bad on the budget. Around 100 tops

So would everyone recommend the xfx 750 as a good buy?

Comment

Yup
                        --
                        Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Yeah, they're good units.

I'm still running an OCZ ModXStream 700W I got from Aria about 5 years ago. It's currently powering my home server and has done for the last 3 years. Never missed a beat.

Comment

Ok gone ahead and ordered the XXX cheers folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Traldera View Post

Yep this is true, the more Watts drawn from it the high the risk, its only good for 450W after that it starts to gets noisy so it could well have damaged you GPU tho its the 3.3V and 5VSB that overload when it drawing 600W, so wise move to buy a new one mate

Comment

Working...
                              X