Quietest PSUs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quietest PSUs

Hi, I am trying to build a new PC that is as quiet as possible. What PSU's would be recommended in the 500 to 750W range? Of course I would like efficiency too and don't want anything known to be unreliable, but noise reduction is no.1 parameter.
    Thanks
    Jon

If you're looking for a quiet PSU, go for an 850W+ Corsair AX series or similar, where the fan stops at low loads. As long as you keep the load down (i.e. around the 500W mark) then it shouldn't spin up and be totally silent They're pretty quiet with the fan running, too, and damn reliable!
    Corsair 600T | Asus Sabertooth Z77 ATX | Intel i5-3570k | Corsair H100i | Corsair Vengeance LP Black 16GB | EVGA GTX670 2GB | Mushkin Chronos 240GB

Comment

Thanks Chris. Amazingly fast response. That is quite an expensive route to go though? They all seem to be up above 125 I am not ruling that out, but would be interested in a Plan B. Anything that would come in under 80?
      Jon

Comment

650W TX650M should be good also (I'm a Corsair fanboy, I should probably admit that now! )
        Corsair 600T | Asus Sabertooth Z77 ATX | Intel i5-3570k | Corsair H100i | Corsair Vengeance LP Black 16GB | EVGA GTX670 2GB | Mushkin Chronos 240GB

Comment

I have the Ax850 and it's great, fan doesn't spin up during normal use, and spins without any noise during gaming.

A even quieter 100% silent route is Seasonic X series, but they are even more expensive.

You want quietest PSU, you got to pay for it. Perhaps you are asking for a relatively quiet PSU but don't need to be silent?
          i7 2700k \ 16GB \ GTX 970 \ D2x \ Z68x-UD5 \ m4 128GB +2TB \ S12G-550 \ FT02-RW \ G15+G5+G51 \ U2711
          X100 \ X-E2 \ 10-24 \ 55-200 \ 18/2 \ 60/2.4 \ Yn560 \ X1.1a \ Hadley Pro -- Photostreamr

Comment

Thanks both. Well silent would be nice! But it isn't a total essential. It's all trade-offs isn't it, unless funds are unlimited? I am looking at Fractal Z4 case and CoolerMaster TX3 CPU cooling for an AMD A10 processor in a Gigabythe GA-F285X-D3H mobo. I am not a gamer, but need quiet for recording and delivering webinars in the same room - using either webcam / lapel mike or video recorder - which both seem very sensitive to ambient noise.
            Jon

Comment

I would go for a different cooler than the TX3 is it's a 92mm fan.

A cooler witha 120mm or 140mm fan will be quieter!
              I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by wuyanxu View Post
                A even quieter 100% silent route is Seasonic X series, but they are even more expensive.
                This, I love my X-760. Both seasonic and corsair are well worth the money when you consider 5+ year warranty
                Originally posted by jointhedotz
                I admit it, it's so damn good! following Alan on the downs, just getting a feel

Comment

Enermax Platimax PSU's are silent

well can't hear mine!

Best Thermal Paste 2017 Comparison

Comment

Corsair AX PSUs are fairly cracking but tbh most 80 plus gold or above from decent manufacturers should be quiet enough. With my ax650 I've never had it get to the point when I've noticed it being louder than a writing hdd.

I love my computer being as quiet as possible and would love to build a completely passive system with no moving parts but it starts to get expensive for the noise reduction below a certain point.

Comment

Originally posted by wuyanxu View Post
                      I have the Ax850 and it's great, fan doesn't spin up during normal use, and spins without any noise during gaming.

You want quietest PSU, you got to pay for it. Perhaps you are asking for a relatively quiet PSU but don't need to be silent?
                      The X series are the same as the AX series mate, afaik there are only 2 Seasonic units that are 100% silent and that's the 400w/460W versions

@ Freejon, I highly recommend going for the Corsair AX Series, excellent power supplies and you get great support. The New HX series are also silent upto a certain load (can't exactly remember) so you could check those out.
                      Last edited by Zaim; 06-06-13, 16:01.
                      CPU:Intel I7 3770K 5GHZ |CPU Cooler:Noctua NH D14|RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance White LP|MB:Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3|GPU:Asus GTX 980 Strix OC|PSU: Corsair AX 750|HDD:2x Corsair 240GB Force GS| 2X WD 2TB Red|Sound Card:Asus Xonar HDAV|Speakers:Sony STR-DN850+Yamaha Speakers+Tannoy TS2.10|Mouse/Keyboard:Corsair K95/M95|Case:Corsair 500R|

Comment

Thank you to everyone.

Originally posted by Zaim View Post
                        The X series are the same as the AX series mate, afaik there are only 2 Seasonic units that are 100% silent and that's the 400w/460W versions

@ Freejon, I highly recommend going for the Corsair AX Series, excellent power supplies and you get great support. The New HX series are also silent upto a certain load (can't exactly remember) so you could check those out.

I will bite the financial bullet and go for the Corsair AX, and have also picked the BeQuiet Dark Rock CPU cooler. Thanks all for taking the time and trouble.

Jon

Comment

Another +1 for Seasonic ranges, top notch quality and the X series is silent from what I've heard.
                          Main Rig: A8 7670k @4.5GHz // Gigabyte F2A88-XM D3H // 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz // Sapphire Nitro R9 380 // Samsung 850 250GB // Samsung F3 500GB // EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 // Dell U2312HM // Zowie EC2
                          Dell Inspiron 15 Special Edition:
                          i7 3612QM // 6GB RAM // 7730M // Samsung 840 250GB // Backlit K/B // 1080p Panel // Soundblaster Evo Wireless

Comment

Well i have only owned a few, but the corsair AX range dont even spin up unless under very heavy load, i have never ever heard mine spin up even when gaming and benching, and i have mine set to normal mode, but they are expensive, but with a seven year warranty with a company that has a very good RMA service should the worse happen, it is well worth it mate

Comment

Working...
                            X