Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8800GT and a 350w PSU?

Would it work??

My 350w Enermax PSU I use for my server has two 12v rails giving 15A each and the psu totals a A 12v rail.. would the 8800GT be aafe on the psu?

I do have a BeQuiet 520w unit just in case it doesn't but I thought I'd ask as there's different specs mentioned for the 8800GT.. some sites say 22A others say 26A so I thought I'd er on the side of caution. ...

yeah would be fine.

iirc an 8800gt isnt as high as 22A, thats nearly 250W, more like 150W max i reckon.

anyway i ran a HD4870 on a similar PSU and was fine.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

Thanks for that El Wayneo I thought I read somewhere it would take 105w max so I thought it would be alright.. im sure the 10 hard drives in there wont take too much.. I need to check its power draw as its not as good as I hoped it would be as its water cooled now lol

Comment

hard drives are around 15W each max, normally about 5W.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

HDDs being thrashed to their max use about 15w, yeah. In idle/turned off for power savings in Windows, it's a lot less.

It should be okay on that PSU to be honest, Phill. The 8800GT only has a single 6pin connector so theoretically it should draw 150w max (75 from the PCIE slot and 75 from the 6pin).
          ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

I'll test ut tomorrow guy's and let yiu know. The stupid online game I play lags like crap with the 6450 I have and the on board I use from the black edition cpu I got in there. Can't remember the model number lol

Next thread coming up...

Comment

I ran one on a cruddy old Trust 370W PSU with an X2 5000+ without a blip.

(That PSU is about 9 years old and still going lol)
              Dell Vostro 3560 | Intel Core i5-3380M | 8GB RAM | HD4000 graphics | Sandisk SSDPlus 120GB | Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Well it's installed and seems to be running fine, but the game is running no better than it was before on the onboard GPU...

I'm going to try another PSU as I have a few other cards to try before giving up, but I'm guessing there's something more to it as to why I'm getting such crap performance when playing this game.. I've put a thread up in the gaming section, as I'm interested in hearing what other people use to play it..
                Running it on my 920 and 580 seems a bit much and overkil as well considering it's using nearly 8 times the power to play it and it's not even that good a game!!

Comment

Very odd matey. What are the other system specs? Is the onboard disabled completely? Latest drivers used?
                  Dell Vostro 3560 | Intel Core i5-3380M | 8GB RAM | HD4000 graphics | Sandisk SSDPlus 120GB | Windows 10 Pro

Comment

I have the following:
                    AMD A6 3670 CPU at stock
                    8Gb 1866 Ram which only seems to work at 1600 for some reason
                    8800GT with 301.42 forceware (going to upgrade, just to see if it makes any difference) stock clocked too
                    And I think that's it of any importance.. I will check to see if my motherboard drives are up to date but other than that, I'm fresh out of options

Comment

do you need to turn off the built in graphics in your LLano CPU then and force it to use your 8800gt???

although i will guess there is literally no difference in power between those two GPU.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

I think that it just detects it there and shuts it down.. With the power difference, there's a big difference... about 50 to 100w depending on use. I've put back in the 6450 and its currently using 60w whilst playing music and Skype on etc.. Not bothering with the game on here anymore, I'll just use the big rig

Comment

i meant interms of FPS power not ho much power it uses, which is why you havent seem any performance improvements.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

I can't really comment on it mate, not really done any 3D Mark tests with it...

Comment

Working...
                            X