No announcement yet.

PSU Dilema..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run a BeQuiet L8 in my rig, have done for probably over 6 months now and it's been rock solid, awesome PSU, silent too. That's what I'd recommend
    I5 2500K @ 4.7GHz| Maximus IV Extreme | 8GB Predator DDR3 | Crossfire Radeon 5850| BeQuiet! L8 630W | Corsair 700D
    Razer Lachesis | Razer Black Widow

Comment

Originally posted by pastyman View Post
      I would take the Seasonic out of those three followed by the Be-Quiet. I would never buy a Corsair CX series. They are built down to a price and are quite poor. In terms of quality i would only rate them just above the likes of Winpower.
      LOL.

@OP I'd go for the Seasonic out of that list.
      CPU:Intel I7 3770K 5GHZ |CPU Cooler:Noctua NH D14|RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance White LP|MB:Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3|GPU:Asus GTX 980 Strix OC|PSU: Corsair AX 750|HDD:2x Corsair 240GB Force GS| 2X WD 2TB Red|Sound Card:Asus Xonar HDAV|Speakers:Sony STR-DN850+Yamaha Speakers+Tannoy TS2.10|Mouse/Keyboard:Corsair K95/M95|Case:Corsair 500R|

Comment

Why the lol? They are cheap and nasty and use cheap Samxon caps. There is absolutely nothing special about them and for just a little bit extra you can get a far better psu.
        i5-4670k@4.5Ghz, Asus Maximus VI Hero, 16GB Samsung Green 2133Mhz@9-10-10-21/1N, Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD, Crucial M500 240GB SSD, 1TB Hitachi 7K1000C, Seasonic G series 750w, EVGA GTX780 FTW ACX Watercooling / Pump 2x AquaXtreme 50z / CPU EK Supreme HF / GPU XSPC Rasa VGA / 25cm XSPC Passive res / Rads, Thermochill PA120.3 + CG360

Comment

Originally posted by pastyman View Post
          Why the lol? They are cheap and nasty and use cheap Samxon caps. There is absolutely nothing special about them and for just a little bit extra you can get a far better psu.
          Just the fact that you were comparing it to winpower psu's, nothing else:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/po...pply-review/5/

doesn't say its rubbish or nasty anywhere.

Not saying they are great or anything, and i agree you can get better for extra.
          CPU:Intel I7 3770K 5GHZ |CPU Cooler:Noctua NH D14|RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance White LP|MB:Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3|GPU:Asus GTX 980 Strix OC|PSU: Corsair AX 750|HDD:2x Corsair 240GB Force GS| 2X WD 2TB Red|Sound Card:Asus Xonar HDAV|Speakers:Sony STR-DN850+Yamaha Speakers+Tannoy TS2.10|Mouse/Keyboard:Corsair K95/M95|Case:Corsair 500R|

Comment

Hi Zaim, they have been discontinued now and have gone back to being just the CX430 etc. It's a new platform inside too. Reviews of the newer models are extremely rare. Make of that what you will but i stand by my comparison.
            i5-4670k@4.5Ghz, Asus Maximus VI Hero, 16GB Samsung Green 2133Mhz@9-10-10-21/1N, Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD, Crucial M500 240GB SSD, 1TB Hitachi 7K1000C, Seasonic G series 750w, EVGA GTX780 FTW ACX Watercooling / Pump 2x AquaXtreme 50z / CPU EK Supreme HF / GPU XSPC Rasa VGA / 25cm XSPC Passive res / Rads, Thermochill PA120.3 + CG360

Comment

Do you know what the system pulls as I'd guess 500 a bit too much..

I use a enermax 350w and that is fantastic. I'd recommend that for the above system without hesitation.

Comment

I went for the BeQuiet in the end, mainly because I couldn't get hold of the Seasonic... but I think I made a decent choice based on reviews etc, time will tell if I am correct

I'll be running some tests on the system in the next couple of days to check loads once I've built it and get all 6 drives installed.

Thank you for the input everyone.

R.
                PC: 4790K|H110i|Z97 Sabertooth Mk1|SLI GTX 980 SC|16 GB Beast 2400 MHz|2x850 Pro RAID0|W7|HX1000i|NZXT H440 SE|Dell U3415W|Genelec 8040a|Dacmagic Plus
                Mac Pro: Dual 6 Core X5690 Xeons|64 GB ECC|7970 Windforce 3|512 GB NVMe PCIe|2xWD Black 4 TB Raid 0|OS X 10.11.3|2x27" Apple Cinema Displays|KRK V4 Series 2

Comment

The BeQuiet unit I'm sure will do you proud, but here's food for thought..

I was testing out the server with the 350w Enermax unit I was telling you about and it scored like this (watts pulled from the socket, so I'm guessing it'll have a different efficiency rating)

With the CPU/GPU (its an AMD A6-3670 with the APU being used, all 4 cores enabled and running at I believe 2.6Ghz) and idling in the desktop with 8 hard drives, 18w water pump, 5 120mm fans and two sticks of 4Gb ram, it was pulling between 63w and 67w from the wall.
                  From my online game where it uses the CPU/GPU more, it was pulling up to 90w depending on what I was doing..
                  Now when the hard drives 'shut down' because of not being used, it was pulling a very impressive 40w to 50w from the wall with everything else on and functioning..
                  When in the game itself, it was somewhere between 45w to 60w.
                  When the PSU had power to it and wasn't doing anything, the PC was taking 20w from the socket...

Now baring in mind your system is slightly different to this one, I'm guessing it'll possibly be using less so it might turn out that the efficiency of your unit might be worse not better because of the amount of power your pulling from the wall.. I can try the same setup with the BeQuiet unit I have here as its a 520w model, so it might be interesting to see if it pulls more or less power....

I really hope that I've explained it a little better than it reads!

Comment

Working...
                  X