omg AX860 goes pop after an hour or less :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• omg AX860 goes pop after an hour or less :(

Well after taking my time as you do, routing all the cables nice and tidy in my case, just browsing the forum and a few other sites, and BANG
    so as you can imagine im not very impressed, no smoke, no smell, just a bang that scared the kids half to death, and me tbh, so much for Corsair Quality, let hope there RMA request goes better, back to my trusted old OCZ 750W PSU

Question is do i chance another or do i get a refund and get something else? plan was for this to last at least seven years

sounds like one capacitors exploded mate

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

you either have the worst luck or should get someone else to build your PC.

GTX680 and a quality PSU both going?

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

something not quite right here.
        never known a quality psu like that to go pop.

maybe ramming a 12v connection the wrong way.
        Is my new Kingston flash drive on drugs?

i

Comment

Time for a decent surge protector/UPS unit with conditioning I think. I had a run of components going pop in old house, had a new fuse box fitted and spent money on decent surge protectors and bang, there went my bad luck

DT.
          Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
          Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Tbh, they can go pop, what I personally pay for is that they only kill themselves in the process.

I type 90 WPM, Click Here to try
            i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | R9 290| 16GB Ram @ 1600mhz
            Nikon D5100 + Kit Lens + 50mm 1.8G - 16-35mm F4 VR // Ultrasone PRO 2900s - Audio GD NFB-3.1 - Neco Mosfett Amp

Comment

As Naphta said. They pay for themselves when they save your hardware and take out the PSU only. Money well spent in my eyes. Every PSU has its moments and I know that too. I had a ZX1250W from OCZ and it popped on an AMD APU at stock settings. It happens.
              ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

taz the more bad luck you have mate the more i am inclinded to think the issue is else where too.
                "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                Plato

Comment

Originally posted by watercooled View Post
                  something not quite right here.
                  never known a quality psu like that to go pop.

maybe ramming a 12v connection the wrong way.
                  Not a chance mate, and if you cant get one in the wrong way then your a better man than me plus if i did then i think it would have popped sooner, and fried what ever it was attached too

Originally posted by DoubleTop View Post
                  Time for a decent surge protector/UPS unit with conditioning I think. I had a run of components going pop in old house, had a new fuse box fitted and spent money on decent surge protectors and bang, there went my bad luck

DT.
                  I use them on my pc and on my AV equipment, dont have UPS unit tho, plus my lesser OCZ unit is doing just fine tho, lucky i decided to keep it

Originally posted by El Wayneo View Post
                  you either have the worst luck or should get someone else to build your PC.

GTX680 and a quality PSU both going?
                  I have only been building computers since window Dos, but thanks for the advice, and the GTX680 was third hand, and it never broke on me did it, so i think il put this one down to bad luck!

Originally posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
                  As Naphta said. They pay for themselves when they save your hardware and take out the PSU only. Money well spent in my eyes. Every PSU has its moments and I know that too. I had a ZX1250W from OCZ and it popped on an AMD APU at stock settings. It happens.
                  Well did a lot of reseach on this, a fair few complaining of a whining noise, either on arrival or some months later, there was a whining noise when i powered up, but it was not annoying, and never heard it after pc up and running, it did last a good hour or two tops, not even under any load, and it was running in normal mode, like i said, no smoke, no smell, just bang, and all my components are working fine thank good, in 22 years this is my first RMA for hardware failure so id say i been lucky until now

Comment

Originally posted by marsey99 View Post
                    taz the more bad luck you have mate the more i am inclinded to think the issue is else where too.
                    Think what you like mate, love how some are quick to judge others, this was brand new and outta the box, did not go bang on power up, but after an hour or two, and like i said above, the third hand GTX680 did NOT BREAK IN MY POSSESSION, it broke 3 days after someone else owned it, this is my FIRST RMA ever, or do i have put screen shots up again just to prove the doubters wrong?

Comment

bit deffensive aint we dude?

tbh i was thinking more along the lines of dirty power and given that you already run sp on your pc and tv kit i would be willing to bet that you think it too.

i personally would look into replacing the one on the pc, more for peace of mind than anything else.
                      "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                      Plato

Comment

Originally posted by marsey99 View Post
                        bit deffensive aint we dude?

tbh i was thinking more along the lines of dirty power and given that you already run sp on your pc and tv kit i would be willing to bet that you think it too.

i personally would look into replacing the one on the pc, more for peace of mind than anything else.
                        Well to be honest mate i fed up of people jumping the gun, and i read your post as if it must be my fault or my doing, if thats not what you meant the i apologize, well that is an option, but if indeed this was cause by a surge then my way of thinking is better off sticking with the PSU that i have now as this has not died on me in two years, however after reading through this forum i can see others have had problems with there PSU's right through the corsair range, including the AX, find it hard to believe that a quality psu can not ride a surge yet all my other things that are in the plugged in the same socket all survived, anyway sorry if i got you wrong first time around

Comment

Re: omg AX860 goes pop after an hour or less

I may be wrong, but I think the comment about getting someone else to build your PCs for you may have been a joke
                          Corsair 600T | Asus Sabertooth Z77 ATX | Intel i5-3570k | Corsair H100i | Corsair Vengeance LP Black 16GB | EVGA GTX670 2GB | Mushkin Chronos 240GB

Comment

could it be the corsair unit is more sensitive to the dips and spikes which is why it died?

where as the sheer size needed to push the other unit over might be enough for it to take other parts with it?

i hope not btw, just throwing an idea out there you know.
                            Plato

Comment

I think you should create a new thread in the psu section asking if there is a problem and then another one in the general hardware on what the replacement should be

Originally posted by Aria
                              On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

Working...
                              X