Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power Surge Detected Each Time I Unplug PSU?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Surge Detected Each Time I Unplug PSU?

Whenever I work with my computers internals, I unplug the PSU and turn it on so there is no power left in the system. I discharge myself and begin work.

When I'm finished and everything it put back together I get an issues at first boot, they usually consist of "Power Surge Detected" or "CPU OverVolt", after I power down and boot up again they're gone.

This is weird because if I leave the computer plugged in I don't ever have any problems.

My PSU is a 700W CoolerMaster GX Lite...

Any ideas?
    @catrain - i7-4710MQ || GTX 860M || 16GB HYPER-X IMPACT 1600MHz || 120GB Kingston mS200 - @catrain

I always leave the PSU turned off and spam the power button a few times. Having the PSU turned on may possibly surge it when you plug the mains back in?

Comment

Originally posted by Seb.F View Post
      I always leave the PSU turned off and spam the power button a few times. Having the PSU turned on may possibly surge it when you plug the mains back in?
      I'll give that a go next time I need to uplug, cheers.
      @catrain - i7-4710MQ || GTX 860M || 16GB HYPER-X IMPACT 1600MHz || 120GB Kingston mS200 - @catrain

Comment

I unplug the PSU and turn it on so there is no power left in the system
        Having the switch turned on or off makes no difference if the IEC is unplugged.
        Just make sure its "off" when you plug the lead back in or yes, the PSU could detect a spike

Originally posted by Aria
        On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

Originally posted by M4T VW View Post
          Having the switch turned on or off makes no difference if the IEC is unplugged.
          Just make sure its "off" when you plug the lead back in or yes, the PSU could detect a spike
          When I said turn it on after unplugging the PSU I meant turn the PC on, not the PSU.

Comment

Originally posted by tombyrne94 View Post
            Whenever I work with my computers internals, I unplug the PSU and turn it on so there is no power left in the system. I discharge myself and begin work.

When I'm finished and everything it put back together I get an issues at first boot, they usually consist of "Power Surge Detected" or "CPU OverVolt", after I power down and boot up again they're gone.

This is weird because if I leave the computer plugged in I don't ever have any problems.

My PSU is a 700W CoolerMaster GX Lite...

Any ideas?
            Yeah there is no need to do this. All it will do is bugger up your power supply.
            GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Originally posted by BUDFORCE View Post
              Yeah there is no need to do this. All it will do is bugger up your power supply.
              Theres no reason to get the last bit of charge out of the computer?

Comment

Originally posted by Ice Tea
                Plus any surplus charge that reaches the board form the PSU is drained at the volt regs so it will never get to your components , just leave it plugged in but switched off so you have a ground.
                Leave it plugged in but switched off at both the mains and the PSU?

Comment

Working...
                X