X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devils-Blood
    started a topic Why are platinum PSU's so expensive

Why are platinum PSU's so expensive

One of the selling points behind a platinum plus PSU is energy efficiency but the high cost outweighs any money saved on electricity from using a 90% plus power efficiency. I haven't looked at the technology used in the platinum PSU's and how stable the rails are but I could never justify buying with the high cost of the platinum PSU.

• phill
    replied
    Well call me crazy but aren't all the 1500w models come with the premium efficiency rating?

I need a bigger psu but that's for a new rig but that's not for a little while...

Leave a comment:

• Spaceboy
    replied
    Also, regarding high efficiencies, you're fighting against the law of diminishing returns.

Say you have a 95% efficient power supply, you could probably double the cost for a mere 2% increase in efficiency.

Leave a comment:

• andyn
    replied
    You should judge based on specs and decent reviews (e.g. JohnnyGuru for PSUs) and possibly brand reputation (although with PSUs you need to be a bit careful - the OEM brand matters more than the 'on-the-box' brand, and they are not always the same) rather than badges.

But prices for premium products are normal, just as the bleeding-edge graphics cards cost 3 times a much for 30% more performance when compared to a high-end but still affordable alternative.

Leave a comment:

• Helios1234
    replied
    They don't charge more simply for the Platinum badge. There's obviously the R&D cost associated to developing it in the first place and the cost of using higher quality/more efficient components.

That said, the Gold/Platinum badge doesn't necessarily ensure a reliable unit. You might get a Gold rated PSU that's worse than a quality Silver rated PSU in terms of durability/reliability. Essentially, spend your money on a unit that is good rather rather on one that claims to deliver the best efficiency.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisGlobe
    replied
    "Platinum" is a marketing ploy, in the same way a "gaming chair" is much more expensive than a normal one.

Yes, a "Platinum" PSU is more efficient in terms of power use, but the very fact it's called "Platinum" means they can charge more. Had it been 80-Plus Level 1/2/3/4 then I doubt the cost jumps would have been so large.

Leave a comment:

• oneman
    replied
    I guess if you pushing you PSU to the limits then it would be worth paying else bronze plus seem fine to me.

Leave a comment:

• luke22
    replied
    Originally posted by Devils-Blood View Post
    Are you being serious. Don't the manufactures have a moral obligation to produce a product what is affordable so people can use less electricity. I am not a green and I don't believe in the global warming scam so I will use as electricity to what level I afford to pay for it. My energy supplier described my electricity use as a heavy user, virgin said the same about my internet use, I have my heating on a minimum 18 hours a day so if I can pay for it I burn it.
    global warming scam?

i guess the years of scientific study and images of shrinking ice caps are fake?

Leave a comment:

• TAZ007
    replied
    Originally posted by Devils-Blood View Post
    Are you being serious. Don't the manufactures have a moral obligation to produce a product what is affordable so people can use less electricity. I am not a green and I don't believe in the global warming scam so I will use as electricity to what level I afford to pay for it. My energy supplier described my electricity use as a heavy user, virgin said the same about my internet use, I have my heating on a minimum 18 hours a day so if I can pay for it I burn it.

lol, im green as i can be cos i hate waste and it save money, but its always the ones that use ten times what we do, that tell us we should use less, i think that the government and all these other g9 do gooders need to practice what they preach

Leave a comment:

• Devils-Blood
    replied
    Originally posted by Terbinator View Post
    Do you not feel a moral obligation to use the least amount of electricity as you can whilst doing what you want?

Leave a comment:

• Terbinator
    replied
    Do you not feel a moral obligation to use the least amount of electricity as you can whilst doing what you want?

Leave a comment:

• Cosford
    replied
    Always a trade-off.

Leave a comment:

• danroyle
    replied
    Re: Why are platinum PSU's so expensive

I tend to agree with you. Although they are usually a lot better quality components inside them. I've got a gold rated psu and I only got that because it was second hand off the forum.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X