Why are platinum PSU's so expensive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are platinum PSU's so expensive

One of the selling points behind a platinum plus PSU is energy efficiency but the high cost outweighs any money saved on electricity from using a 90% plus power efficiency. I haven't looked at the technology used in the platinum PSU's and how stable the rails are but I could never justify buying with the high cost of the platinum PSU.

Re: Why are platinum PSU's so expensive

I tend to agree with you. Although they are usually a lot better quality components inside them. I've got a gold rated psu and I only got that because it was second hand off the forum.
    My RIG: MSI GE62 2QD Apache I7 4720HQ, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SDD + 1TB HDD, GTX 960M 2GB, Windows 10, 15.6" IPS screen.

Comment

Always a trade-off.
      Originally posted by andyn
      Trick in most cases seems to be to get in early, and get out early. Pump and dump.
      PC: - i5-3570k, Mushkin 64gb SSD, 8GB Vengeance, MSI Twin Frozr III 7850.
      Laptop: - Asus N55SF, Core i7-2670QM, GT555M (2GB).

Comment

Do you not feel a moral obligation to use the least amount of electricity as you can whilst doing what you want?

Comment

Originally posted by Terbinator View Post
          Do you not feel a moral obligation to use the least amount of electricity as you can whilst doing what you want?

Are you being serious. Don't the manufactures have a moral obligation to produce a product what is affordable so people can use less electricity. I am not a green and I don't believe in the global warming scam so I will use as electricity to what level I afford to pay for it. My energy supplier described my electricity use as a heavy user, virgin said the same about my internet use, I have my heating on a minimum 18 hours a day so if I can pay for it I burn it.

Comment

Originally posted by Devils-Blood View Post
            Are you being serious. Don't the manufactures have a moral obligation to produce a product what is affordable so people can use less electricity. I am not a green and I don't believe in the global warming scam so I will use as electricity to what level I afford to pay for it. My energy supplier described my electricity use as a heavy user, virgin said the same about my internet use, I have my heating on a minimum 18 hours a day so if I can pay for it I burn it.

lol, im green as i can be cos i hate waste and it save money, but its always the ones that use ten times what we do, that tell us we should use less, i think that the government and all these other g9 do gooders need to practice what they preach

Comment

Originally posted by Devils-Blood View Post
              global warming scam?

i guess the years of scientific study and images of shrinking ice caps are fake?
              "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
              Plato

Comment

I guess if you pushing you PSU to the limits then it would be worth paying else bronze plus seem fine to me.

Comment

"Platinum" is a marketing ploy, in the same way a "gaming chair" is much more expensive than a normal one.

Yes, a "Platinum" PSU is more efficient in terms of power use, but the very fact it's called "Platinum" means they can charge more. Had it been 80-Plus Level 1/2/3/4 then I doubt the cost jumps would have been so large.
                  Corsair 600T | Asus Sabertooth Z77 ATX | Intel i5-3570k | Corsair H100i | Corsair Vengeance LP Black 16GB | EVGA GTX670 2GB | Mushkin Chronos 240GB

Comment

They don't charge more simply for the Platinum badge. There's obviously the R&D cost associated to developing it in the first place and the cost of using higher quality/more efficient components.

That said, the Gold/Platinum badge doesn't necessarily ensure a reliable unit. You might get a Gold rated PSU that's worse than a quality Silver rated PSU in terms of durability/reliability. Essentially, spend your money on a unit that is good rather rather on one that claims to deliver the best efficiency.

CPU Cooler Round up

Comment

You should judge based on specs and decent reviews (e.g. JohnnyGuru for PSUs) and possibly brand reputation (although with PSUs you need to be a bit careful - the OEM brand matters more than the 'on-the-box' brand, and they are not always the same) rather than badges.

But prices for premium products are normal, just as the bleeding-edge graphics cards cost 3 times a much for 30% more performance when compared to a high-end but still affordable alternative.

Comment

Also, regarding high efficiencies, you're fighting against the law of diminishing returns.

Say you have a 95% efficient power supply, you could probably double the cost for a mere 2% increase in efficiency.
                        --
                        Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Well call me crazy but aren't all the 1500w models come with the premium efficiency rating?

I need a bigger psu but that's for a new rig but that's not for a little while...

Comment

Working...
                          X