Idea behind the handle on this PSU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BUDFORCE View Post
    It helps in heat reduction as in theory, some heat would transfer into that handle, then be radiated off by air flowing over it??????
    Anti theft device? The would be thief is lured to grab your PC by the protruding handle so he can run off with it. However, as the handle is scalding hot due to heat transfer from the monster PSU he will be suitably discouraged and let go - possibly even turning his back on the life of crime for good...

All your spoon are belong to us

Comment

Originally posted by RandomPC View Post
      Anti theft device? The would be thief is lured to grab your PC by the protruding handle so he can run off with it. However, as the handle is scalding hot due to heat transfer from the monster PSU he will be suitably discouraged and let go - possibly even turning his back on the life of crime for good...

hahahahaha best theory yet!

You could even anchor it down with a chain and padlock via the handle

Added after 3 minutes:

here is the word on the web

"Also going into the industrial-esque aspect of this unit is the inclusion of a nice chrome handle, excuse me, "EVGA Power Bar." This isn’t a hot swappable power supply so the handle isn't very functional. Are we supposed to carry our computer around by the power supply (which isn’t attached to the case because of no mounting screws being included in the package)? Can someone give me a good reason why this is here?"

"The overall build quality of this unit would be excellent if EVGA had not done so many things wrong with the exterior of this unit. However, the exterior design is just so ridiculously bad in places that it can’t be forgiven and this unit deemed excellent in good conscience. For instance, the modular interface numbering and coloring that does not actually match up to the rail assignment, the ridiculous handle on a non-hotswappble unit, and the rats nest of individually sleeved cables were all cases where someone was looking to try to standout by doing things different (or in the case of the rail assignment just being incompetent). In the end, EVGA did end up standing out, but it did so for all the wrong reasons and all the first impression we get from the build quality of our very nice and expensive purchase is, "What in the hell were they thinking?" and "Can I return this?"
      Last edited by coiler; 06-02-13, 15:29.
      Originally posted by Aaron
      I want those sweet cherries

Comment

Originally posted by coiler View Post
        wonder if it would conflict on certain case designs?
        For sure i reckon that wont fit in my Raven Rv03, or my Dragon Slayer, or even my Antec and possibly Lian Li now that i look at it

Come to think of it, that's a really, really ing stupid bit of design right there...

Comment

another review site >>

"The unit comes in a huge box which is quite heavy. EVGA thankfully equipped it with a top handle to help you move it around easier."

"Some will not like the looks of this unit much since it looks serious, like a server PSU. The fan grill doesn't help much. Nevertheless, the finish is outstanding and the external build quality is absolutely top-notch. EVGA also decided to equip the PSU with a handle bar on the front, which is usually the case with redundant PSUs used in servers."

Originally posted by niceguyrichy View Post
          For sure i reckon that wont fit in my Raven Rv03, or my Dragon Slayer, or even my Antec and possibly Lian Li now that i look at it

Come to think of it, that's a really, really ing stupid bit of design right there...
          concur i've seen many cases which have only a narrow opening for the fan vent, the screws line up obviously, but the bar that may require some hacksawing of case/or said bar

Added after 4 minutes:

another site

"Moving on down the list, we also find a huge handle on a power supply that is not hot swappable so that it can take up more room on the back side of your case?"
          Last edited by coiler; 06-02-13, 15:36.

Comment

With that in mind here is the Top 10 list of issues that made me want to beat my head on the wall and should have been fixed before releasing this power supply:
            1. Documentation, what documentation?
            2. The Handle to Nowhere.
            3. Cables? Looks like I ordered birds nest soup!
            4. Fan? I can’t hear you, can yell a little louder?
            5. 12v rail assignment? W.T.F.?
            6. Oh the fan and the 12v rail assignment don’t work right from the factory? You want us to fix it ourselves in the software? That can’t be the right answer.
            7. Oh the software isn’t included in the package I bought to fix it myself? Well at least it is easy to find, wait, does that say I have to register to get my product to work right?
            8. Rail overboard! Rogue waves in the 3.3v rail.
            9. Scotty, we need more power at 100v.
            10. This power supply costs how much??????????????

Comment

It's a safe grab rail for people who think you should never ever touch computer components with your hands due to ESD.

Or maybe it's a crash barrier. Install PSU, 80% less computer crashes!

Check out my latest Steam Workshop creations here

Comment

it could be a "bracing handle" for when your MMORPG games go wrong

"LEEEEEEROY LEEEEEEEEEEEEROY ABORT MISSION, ABORTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, GRAB THE BRACE HANDLE, ABANDON!!!!!11!"

Comment

Somewhere to hang your socks to dry?
                  Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
                  Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
                  Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Originally posted by michaelkenward View Post
                    Somewhere to hang your socks to dry?
                    That would say much for its efficiency credentials though.

Comment

It's a scratching post for admnim cats.

Check out my latest Steam Workshop creations here

Comment

Working...
                      X