Clear All

• PSU recommendation

Hi there,

I'm looking for a PSU for the following PC:

AMD A6-3670k
    1X 8 GB DDR3 RAM
    2x HDD
    gforce 9800 GT

will look into upgrading the graphics card at some point, but it's not really an emergency for now. Would a decent 450-500 w PSU be enough? I used one of those calculators and it said I need about 350 w at any given time for this.

Thanks a lot

A decent branded, quality unit such as a Corsair or BeQuiet! for example would be fine for this system. Something in the region of 400 to 500w would be sufficient for most GPU upgrades in the future.
    ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Thanks. What about cheaper PSUs, like Thermaltake or something?

Comment

Thermaltake aren't (or weren't at least) a cheap brand and there's nothing wrong with them. I've definitely become a fan of Corsair though.
        ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Corsair is also the most expensive one from what I see (and for good reason, no doubt about that). Still, if I can save 20-30 quid and go for a less stellar brand, I'd be happy. What's your take on Zalman or Cooler Master?

Comment

Out of interest why only the single stick of RAM?

As for Coolermaster PSUs, theyre fine, had mine a good few years now and its still quiet and running fine

Comment

Single stick: I found a good offer for an 8 GB stick and I went for it. I'm not very savvy, are there stability issues with 8 GB sticks?
              Yeah, Coolermaster seems a decent inbetween solution, as it's cheaper than corsair, but clearly above the alpin/ace black bunch. have any thoughts on CIT power supplies? Or like a dude said on some forum, "it's a piece of cit"

Comment

There are no stability issues with single sticks of RAM. It's just that a dual channel configuration (two sticks) allow for more bandwidth which makes things quicker but it isn't a requirement.

It's exactly what that guy on the other forum said. Stay away. For a guideline, stick to a 10 per 100w figure. That is an easy way to gauge performance and reliability and so on.

Comment

Your comment on bandwidth got me thinking and so I read about it a bit. So let's say that for basic stuff like browsing/reading PDFs/Office it would be quite smooth with 1 X 8 GB, but during a game it might stutter because the load can't be shared by two sticks? Even if that game would never require 8 GB in the first place. And if so, do I have to match the first stick (capacity, frequency, maker etc.) to have the RAM working properly? Or I can just throw in a 1 GB stick? Even so, 8-9 GB of RAM sounds so overly exuberant for my needs Sorry for the off topic.

Comment

No they need to match, pretty much identically. Infact, I were adding a second for dual channel I would be temped just to buy new ram, unless you can find pretty much the exact same as your current one.
                    GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Thanks BUDFORCE, I think I'm in luck, the kit is actually 2 x 4 GB, not 1 x 8, so I should be just fine. Getting back to PSUs, Xigmantek or Cooler Master? What do you guys think? They're roughly the same price and generally get decent reviews.

Comment

Working...
                      X