650w power supply unit troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 650w power supply unit troubles

i have a 650w power supply unit, with 2 ssd drives and 2 sata hard drives, 2 burners sata, i5 3570k chip, 4 2gb ddr3 sticks corsair, and a gtx460 1gb graphics card, and 2 case fans a 120mm and a 80mm, it seems that my 650w power supply unit can not handle all of this, what size should i go for ? i am on a tight budget too, its a shame because it is a very good psu

650W should be fine with those components.

What PSU is it and how do you know the PSU's power is the fault here?

Comment

The PSU is my XFX XXX edition 650W modular PSU that ran a heavily overclocked 2500K, 8GB RAM, 3x HDD, 2x SSD and a GTX560Ti, just to rule out it being the PSU being faulty

Terb ninja'ed in a question, ahh well, answer above anyway
      Corsair 600T | Asus Sabertooth Z77 ATX | Intel i5-3570k | Corsair H100i | Corsair Vengeance LP Black 16GB | EVGA GTX670 2GB | Mushkin Chronos 240GB

Comment

well its wierd how when i put all 4 hdd on this it makes a humming noise, but as soon as i take one of it stops, and it doesnt matter which one too

Comment

i ran a gtx460 and an i5 2500k overclocked on a corsair 430CX and didn't skip a beat

so no idea why a 650watt xfx psu would struggle?

Best Thermal Paste 2017 Comparison

Comment

could the fan be on its way out on the psu ?

the fan on my graphics card is loud too,

Comment

Originally posted by jjp2701 View Post
              well its wierd how when i put all 4 hdd on this it makes a humming noise, but as soon as i take one of it stops, and it doesnt matter which one too
              So there isn't actually an issue, then?

The noise will just be coil whine or something. It happens.

Every GFX card i've had has whined when Crysis loads, but it doesn't happen in anything else.

Comment

its a loud noise when i connect 4 hdds up, but without 4 it isnt ?

and the noise comes from the psu, i done the paper test

Comment

Four hard drives?

Woos.

Five here – four HDD one SDD – and the 550 watt OCZ doesn't skip a beat. Not even when I ask it to power up USB drives.

Oh, and four case fans too.

Are you sure that it isn't drive noise?
                  Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
                  Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
                  Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

as others have said, I don't think it's the PSU, I've been running a 2500k, ssd, 2x hdd, gtx580, 8gb 2133 ram, LED fan controller, 5 fans + the 2 on the nh-d14 - all on a 650w psu, with overclocks on the CPU, GPU, and RAM - had no issues at all.

I reckon either coil whine as Terbinator said, or drive noise as MichaelKenward said, or could be a mixture of both.
                    i5-2500K@ (4.3GHz) - Z68X - NH-D14 - GTX 580 TwinFrozrII - BitFenix Shinobi - TX650 - 8GB RipJawZ 2133Mhz - lots of fans & a fan controller !

Comment

Originally posted by asha1 View Post
                      as others have said, I don't think it's the PSU, I've been running a 2500k, ssd, 2x hdd, gtx580, 8gb 2133 ram, LED fan controller, 5 fans + the 2 on the nh-d14 - all on a 650w psu, with overclocks on the CPU, GPU, and RAM - had no issues at all.

I reckon either coil whine as Terbinator said, or drive noise as MichaelKenward said, or could be a mixture of both.

well for one i have only one mechanical hard drive, the other 2 are ssd, which are silent, so that narrows it down to the 2 case fans, and graphics card fan,and cpu fan, i just rang the aria shop up, and he reckons its the psu isnt powerful enough, for all the stuff i am using, how can i tell how much my psu is using ?

Comment

My XFX 650w PSU has been faultless after running xfire 5850's, 3 HDD, 6 fans etc, it has never missed and running a GTX580 now.

Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7. Ryzen 1700. 16GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB. Zotac GTX980ti Amp Omega Edition. Samsung 840 500 GB SSD. WD 1 TB Green. XFX 750w XTR Psu. Creative GIgaworks T20 series 2 speakers. Asus DX 7.1. Phanteks Enthoo ATX Glass case. iiyama G-master GE2788HS Monitor. Cyborg V7. TT Theron mouse.

Comment

i would bet its just the vibrations from all the spinners too

time for a nas if you ask me
                          "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                          Plato

Comment

Originally posted by marsey99 View Post
                            i would bet its just the vibrations from all the spinners too

time for a nas if you ask me

whats a nas ?

Comment

network attached storage, but if its only 2 hdd then it might not be that.

how old is the 650w psu?
                              "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                              Plato

Comment

Working...
                              X