Anyway to monitor your PSU?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyway to monitor your PSU?

Hi guys, been playing some games today and noticed one of my fans was spinning up, unusually high. So I opened up HW monitor to check GPU temps (the usual suspects) but they were fine. So I though, ok some software issue making the fans spin up. I check catalyst fan speed 20% on both, hmmmm so manually changed fans to 100% then back down. Realised its not my GPU's. Also CPU temp is fine (way below what I seen it get to before).

I'm pretty sure its my PSU fan, which is slightly concerning. I have also noticed recently that I am getting some capacitor whine when my computer is switched off (but not at the wall)

Is there any software to monitor your PSU? Or failing that (other then jamming something in it) is there any way to control the fan speed on your PSU?

I have tried restarting, even completely powering off, but as soon as you turn the PC on the fan speeds up. Now the fan is constantly noisy, even just when web browsing etc.

I guess my worry is, that my PSU is on its way out, and that the fan is running high because my PSU is under more load then normal (due to something slowly failing).

I have not added any hardware or changed any clock settings or anything either today.

EDIT: Ok pretty much 100% sure its my PSU fan. Just now while web browsing, for about a minute or so, it spun down to normal fan speed, and then spun up again.
    I've also just had my PC turned off for about 15 minutes, and its cold in this room with the window open, and then fan span up the second I turned on the PC.

I did also completely take off all my clock settings to normal and no change.

Think my PSU is on its way out?
    Last edited by BUDFORCE; 11-11-12, 16:22.
    GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Could just be full of crud and struggling to cool itself?
    Why did the chicken cross the road?
    To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkY View Post
      Could just be full of crud and struggling to cool itself?
      Nah I checked, its reasonably clean, also spray dusted in just in case.

Their wierd thing is, that is starting spinning down to normal for a minute or two, then back, then back again, and for the last hour or so, its been completely normal and quiet

The only thing I can think of is that I had my PC switched off all weekend (and at the plug) and it somehow needed to warm up??????????
      GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

could be just the fan on it dying

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

If you become in need of a PSU I'd recommend a Corsair AX series for being quiet, as it only turns it on when necessary.

I type 90 WPM, Click Here to try
          i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | R9 290| 16GB Ram @ 1600mhz
          Nikon D5100 + Kit Lens + 50mm 1.8G - 16-35mm F4 VR // Ultrasone PRO 2900s - Audio GD NFB-3.1 - Neco Mosfett Amp

Comment

Originally posted by k3vst3r View Post
            could be just the fan on it dying
            Nah its not, its destinctively spinning up, and then spinning down again.

Wierd. I bet its a capacitor going though, not that Im an expert in eelctronics, but I bet its a cap. As ive had my my PSU completely off for a few days I bet its completely discharge, and then today turning it on, my PSU is working extra hard to get it working again properly, for a few hours until now when it seems ok.
            GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

too many things it could be to try and guess imo

i would whip it out and start it on the desk by jumping the green and any black pin on the 24 pin cable and see what it does, it should not spin up more than min speed under 0 load.
              "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
              Plato

Comment

Anyway to monitor your PSU?

Originally posted by BUDFORCE View Post

Wierd. I bet its a capacitor going though, not that Im an expert in eelctronics, but I bet its a cap. As ive had my my PSU completely off for a few days I bet its completely discharge, and then today turning it on, my PSU is working extra hard to get it working again properly, for a few hours until now when it seems ok.
                Sounds plausible. Keep an eye on it. I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by BUDFORCE View Post

Or the controller for the fan going faulty since it's rpm controlled by psu itself. When capacitors go you tend to know about it they don't just work a little bit. You need DMM really to measure the rails when you hear fan spinning up/down an see if the rails are effected or not.

Actually pretty sure it's temperature controlled the fan when inside of psu is hot it makes fan spin up to exhaust faster etc, so most likely the thermometer that's going faulty inside the psu
                  Last edited by k3vst3r; 11-11-12, 21:16.

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Alright thanks for the replies guys.

So this morning I've just got up to browse these forums with my morning cup of tea for 15 minutes, hit the power button and the fan is completely normal.

I guess at the end of the day if its working, it working so..........
                    GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

IIRC, OCCT will let you monitor your PSU and output some pretty detailed graphs. That might indicate if there's an issue with it?
                      i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

Originally posted by BigIan88 View Post
                        IIRC, OCCT will let you monitor your PSU and output some pretty detailed graphs. That might indicate if there's an issue with it?
                        Will give him rough idea, but software reporting shouldn't be 100% trusted cause it can only report what sensors say

Program you suggested can be used to torture test the psu also, if it's on it's way out OCCT will make it go quite quickly

Comment

If its causing a few problems, would it be easier to see if you could get it sent back to supplier via RMA and see if there's a problem that way? Only if its in warranty tho I'm guessing??

Comment

If you got a low to medium range PSU (and I'm not talking about wattage) this things used to die in some time, form 1 to 2 years. Even the well know brands got low to mid durability on the cheaper models (I still remember a 750W OCZ PSU i got that got in fire suddenly, with flames included...).

If I'm in your shoes, I will start to search for a new one, preferably one like the AX (top range) or similar, with at least 3 years warranty.

Yours will last you a bit more, but it is hard to say if it will be 1 week or 6 months.

Comment

Ok so, after a month or so of it working completely normally, I've come back from holiday, having had the PC completely turned off (and at the wall) for 5 days, and its doing it again.

When it was doing it a month back that was after having it turned off for a long weekend.

So, seems that whatever is happening in my PSU, having the PC powered off completely for an extended period seems to be making it do it.

I've left it on at the wall today to see what happens when I get home from work.
                              GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Working...
                              X