Dead PSU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead PSU

Friend has just dropped off a PC I built a year and a half ago claiming that he thinks the PSU has died.

Sure enough, when I try to start it the fans spin for a split seconds as if power simply pulsed through the system.

I detached the PSU from the PC entirely and connected a multimeter to a molex and jump started the PSU with a paperclip, sure enough the voltage jumped up for around a second (too inconsistent to say what the value rises to) and then just falls back down to zero.

Does this mean the PSU is dead?

It's a Corsair CX600 that was purchased from Aria around June 2011. If it needs to be sent back is it best to return it to Aria themselves or Corsair directly?

Cheers,

Toon

with paper clip does it stay on if u have few fans connected to the psu?

some psu's need a load to remain on safety feature not all psu's need this though
    Last edited by k3vst3r; 10-11-12, 15:21.

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Originally posted by k3vst3r View Post
      with paper clip does it stay on if u have few fans connected to the psu?

some psu's need a load to remain on safety feature not all psu's need this though
      Hooked up an tri-led and fan, still switched off instantly.

Comment

You could always try your PSU just to confirm it.

As for RMA, i would try with Corsair directly - you usually get a better PSU in return IIRC? Probably faster than sending it to Aria for just to pass it on etc too.

Comment

Originally posted by Toonshorty View Post
          Hooked up an tri-led and fan, still switched off instantly.
          it's dead jim

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Definately dead, interestingly I specc'd a friend the same PSU about the same time as June last year and it died on her last week.
            Main Rig: A8 7670k @4.5GHz // Gigabyte F2A88-XM D3H // 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz // Sapphire Nitro R9 380 // Samsung 850 250GB // Samsung F3 500GB // EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 // Dell U2312HM // Zowie EC2
            Dell Inspiron 15 Special Edition:
            i7 3612QM // 6GB RAM // 7730M // Samsung 840 250GB // Backlit K/B // 1080p Panel // Soundblaster Evo Wireless

Comment

Originally posted by Sarky View Post
              Definately dead, interestingly I specc'd a friend the same PSU about the same time as June last year and it died on her last week.
              I just bought this unit. Starting to feel like it was a bad choice (got it for 45). Does it have 3 year warranty or just the one?

Comment

No reason that you've made a bad choice. PSU's die, its a fact of life.
                Originally posted by andyn
                Trick in most cases seems to be to get in early, and get out early. Pump and dump.
                PC: - i5-3570k, Mushkin 64gb SSD, 8GB Vengeance, MSI Twin Frozr III 7850.
                Laptop: - Asus N55SF, Core i7-2670QM, GT555M (2GB).

Comment

Originally posted by Snow View Post
                  I just bought this unit. Starting to feel like it was a bad choice (got it for 45). Does it have 3 year warranty or just the one?
                  I've been running my CX500 v1 for almost 2 years now without any problems at all, I guess it's just luck but it hasn't let me down . Cost me 45 quid then and came with 3 years warranty.
                  Last edited by Faisal; 10-11-12, 19:23.

RIG 1 - CPU: Intel Q6600 2.4GHz | GPU: HIS 5770 1GB | RAM: 4GB DDR2 Samsung 800MHz | HDD: 500GB WD | SSD: None | PSU: Corsair CX500 v1 | CASE: Dell Inspiron 530
                  RIG 2 - CPU: Intel i7 3770K | GPU: Gigabyte 7970 3GB OC | RAM: 16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | HDD: 2TB Seagate | SSD: Samsung 840 120GB | PSU: Corsair HX650 v2 80 Plus Gold | CASE: Corsair Carbide 500R

Comment

Originally posted by Cosford View Post
                    No reason that you've made a bad choice. PSU's die, its a fact of life.
                    True I suppose, don't want anything dying along with it though
                    Originally posted by Faisal View Post
                    I've been running my CX500 v1 for almost 2 years now without any problems at all, I guess it's just luck but it hasn't let me down . Cost me 45 quid then and came with 3 years warranty.
                    Ah, well that's lightened my feelings a bit .

Comment

You don't pay for longevity, you pay for the PSU which is considerate and dosn't trash your house during the breakup.

I type 90 WPM, Click Here to try
                      i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | R9 290| 16GB Ram @ 1600mhz
                      Nikon D5100 + Kit Lens + 50mm 1.8G - 16-35mm F4 VR // Ultrasone PRO 2900s - Audio GD NFB-3.1 - Neco Mosfett Amp

Comment

Working...
                      X