PSU Calculations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU Calculations?

It's been a while since I've done any maths releating to the PSU but I remember there was a calculation releating to the 12V rails and amps or something along those lines and it told you something very useful. I just can't find that calculation or remember what it tells you.

Can anyone help?

RIG 1 - CPU: Intel Q6600 2.4GHz | GPU: HIS 5770 1GB | RAM: 4GB DDR2 Samsung 800MHz | HDD: 500GB WD | SSD: None | PSU: Corsair CX500 v1 | CASE: Dell Inspiron 530
    RIG 2 - CPU: Intel i7 3770K | GPU: Gigabyte 7970 3GB OC | RAM: 16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | HDD: 2TB Seagate | SSD: Samsung 840 120GB | PSU: Corsair HX650 v2 80 Plus Gold | CASE: Corsair Carbide 500R

What are you trying to work out exactly?

Comment

amp-age and wattage probably.

For PSU its 12W in 1A on a 12V Rail.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

Ahh yeah something like that, I've been trying to figure it out all day and I think what I was trying to find was the maximum watts output on the 12V rails of any power supply, I found that if you times the amps by 12 then it gives you the right number. Thanks anyway guys!

RIG 1 - CPU: Intel Q6600 2.4GHz | GPU: HIS 5770 1GB | RAM: 4GB DDR2 Samsung 800MHz | HDD: 500GB WD | SSD: None | PSU: Corsair CX500 v1 | CASE: Dell Inspiron 530
        RIG 2 - CPU: Intel i7 3770K | GPU: Gigabyte 7970 3GB OC | RAM: 16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | HDD: 2TB Seagate | SSD: Samsung 840 120GB | PSU: Corsair HX650 v2 80 Plus Gold | CASE: Corsair Carbide 500R

Comment

Power = Voltage x Current
          Or....
          Watts (W) = Volts (V) x Amps (A)

Hope this helps buddy.
          Originally posted by andyn
          Trick in most cases seems to be to get in early, and get out early. Pump and dump.
          PC: - i5-3570k, Mushkin 64gb SSD, 8GB Vengeance, MSI Twin Frozr III 7850.
          Laptop: - Asus N55SF, Core i7-2670QM, GT555M (2GB).

Comment

You could try and use an online PSU calculator liek this: http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/index.jsp

I dont think they are 100% accurate but can give you a rough guide.
            GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

With anything I'd factor in a 10% margin of error.

Add 10% to the consumption suggested by a calculator and reduce 10% from your units rated output.

Bear in mind that unit's ratings are for peak consumption for a few milliseconds (you know how marketing works) and also that over time every one of your systems components will be worn and producing a greater strain. With heat too you add an increased resistance load across all components and nothing bolsters this more than overclocking.

It's better to replace a PSU before needed than most of your system components.
              i5 2500k | Asus Maximus IV gene-z | 16GB Mushkin-BL PC12800 | 2 x Samsung S30 128GB | Xonar Essence STX | OCZ ZS 750W | Fractual Design Define Mini | Gigabyte 7970 GE | Dell U2711 | Logitech G27 - the best bit by far!

Comment

Working...
              X