Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU Woes

Hi Guys,

I have potential power supply issues (again! ) and seen as my step dad is currently away in France at the moment I need some advice. So the computer keeps randomly cutting out and then refusing to power on. After a while it has worked again, but then will cut out again not much later. I have tried using a different wall socket, tried a different kettle lead and unplugged all other devices and leads from the PC and still nothing. Is this a dodgey power supply or am I missing something?

Also, the PSU was bought from Aria on the 9th July, can I do a return request to Aria via the order history or do I have send it back to be quiet?

Thanks... I'm starting to hate PSUs.

That might not be a PSU problem sounds like it could be due to temps - Have you ran coretemp? - Sounds like your PC is shutting down to stop it frying the cpu and once cooled allowing you to boot again
    > Lian-Li PC-V33WX > Asus ROG Max VIII Hero > Intel Core i7 6700K s1151 4.0GHz > 850W Corsair HX Series > 8GB GeForce GTX 1080 > 750GB Crucial MX300 2.5 SSD > Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black > Corsair Vengeance 32GB > Edifier S530 > Asus Xonar D2X > Asus PG348Q

Comment

Well I have a Dark Rock Pro 2 CPU Cooler and I set up bios alarms for CPU temp, so it shouldn't be a problem. I've opened the window that is next to it to see if that helps. But its been off for a while now and it wont power on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hades View Post
        Well I have a Dark Rock Pro 2 CPU Cooler and I set up bios alarms for CPU temp, so it shouldn't be a problem. I've opened the window that is next to it to see if that helps. But its been off for a while now and it wont power on.
        I would remount it. Have helped people put them coolers in and they are rather awful and easy to get wrong. If you tighten one side/corner lots then the bit that should be flat on the cpu will be up on one side(hard to see and paste will fill the gap) but you basically get a hotspots.

Maybe check the mobos heatsinks aren't real hot, could be one of them isn't getting enough air.

Comment

Also are you able to try and PSU in another PC just to rule it out?
          > Lian-Li PC-V33WX > Asus ROG Max VIII Hero > Intel Core i7 6700K s1151 4.0GHz > 850W Corsair HX Series > 8GB GeForce GTX 1080 > 750GB Crucial MX300 2.5 SSD > Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black > Corsair Vengeance 32GB > Edifier S530 > Asus Xonar D2X > Asus PG348Q

Comment

Ive even seen it before where an anti virus program throws a wobbly over some software you may have installed and shuts down your PC like this.
            GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Originally posted by BUDFORCE View Post
              Ive even seen it before where an anti virus program throws a wobbly over some software you may have installed and shuts down your PC like this.
              Wow that is some hardcore anti-virus, don't think its that though. The power still wont come on, I'll give the cooler a look over in a minute, however its pretty tight, so I dont want to mess with it too much as it'll take all day to remount it. If it was that though, surely the CPU would have cooled down enough now for the computer to be able to boot up. Might PM one of the CS guys/gals for an answer on the PSU returns question. Just massively inconvenient that its happened now when I'm at uni and need my PC for work, but also that the PSU is only 3 months old.

Edit: When my old PSU went, I could hear a low noise coming from it when I turned it on at the back, this make no noise what so ever.

Comment

Sussed it, seems the tight space under my desk and pushing my desktop under it has made the kettle lead sit rather loosely in the socket, needs to pushed in deeply and not moved about and its good. Thanks for the help, so glad it was only something as minor as that.

Comment

Sussed it, seems the tight space under my desk and pushing my desktop under it has made the kettle lead sit rather loosely in the socket, needs to pushed in deeply and not moved about and its good. Thanks for the help, so glad it was only something as minor as that.
                  Glad you figured it out and it was something so simple . Not coming on for more than 20+ minutes usually means its a PSU dying I find but luckily its not that
                  i7-6700K 4.00GHz, Thermalright Silver Arrow, Zotac GTX 980 TI AMP! 6GB, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, Blu-ray Writer, Asus ROG Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz DDR4

Comment

yeah was just about to say check all connections

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Well I'm back to intermittant power problems, writing this on desktop at the moment. But it will shut down without reason sometime soon probably. Found out that the IT techs at uni offer a non-profit PC health/repair service for staff and students. So going to go and let them take a look and see if they can suss it out or confirm the PSU is dodgey.

Unfortunatly the RMA has to be done directly with be quiet! in Germany and there's a nice long list of stuff I have to go through to discourage me from sending it back. As well as paying for it to be sent to Germany myself. Baffling why the consumer has to do this and it not be handled through Aria.

Comment

Well I'm back to intermittant power problems, writing this on desktop at the moment. But it will shut down without reason sometime soon probably. Found out that the IT techs at uni offer a non-profit PC health/repair service for staff and students. So going to go and let them take a look and see if they can suss it out or confirm the PSU is dodgey.

Unfortunatly the RMA has to be done directly with be quiet! in Germany and there's a nice long list of stuff I have to go through to discourage me from sending it back. As well as paying for it to be sent to Germany myself. Baffling why the consumer has to do this and it not be handled through Aria.

Within the first year you shouldn't have a problem getting it sorted via Retailer.
                        CPU:Intel I7 3770K 5GHZ |CPU Cooler:Noctua NH D14|RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance White LP|MB:Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3|GPU:Asus GTX 980 Strix OC|PSU: Corsair AX 750|HDD:2x Corsair 240GB Force GS| 2X WD 2TB Red|Sound Card:Asus Xonar HDAV|Speakers:Sony STR-DN850+Yamaha Speakers+Tannoy TS2.10|Mouse/Keyboard:Corsair K95/M95|Case:Corsair 500R|

Comment

^ Ah okay, thanks. Might have to give Aria CS a ring then and find out at some point. Though randomly its behaving at the moment and been working no problems since that previous post. Shall hope it stays like this.

Comment

Working...
                          X