PSU fit for 2x GTX 560 Ti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU fit for 2x GTX 560 Ti

I'm starting to feel kind of selfish asking so many questions around here - almost all of my threads seem to be like this... anyway, here goes

I'm looking at going SLi with a second 560 Ti, but my current PSU is not up to the task. Can anyone recommend a new PSU - preferably modular - that would accommodate 2 560 Ti's in addition to an i5 2500k and 3 HDDs (incl. 1 SSD)?

I'm aiming for 700W or higher, so I don't think power should be an issue, but I'm not so sure about the connectors. Bit of a noob like that, even though I've been building PCs since I was a kid.

whats your budget?

Comment

650W should be fine. So you could go for something like the Corsair HX-650.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdan676 View Post
        whats your budget?
        Good question. Around 150 I guess, but I'm not too fussed about neat cable management and/or looks as long as it does the job.

Originally posted by Terbinator View Post
        650W should be fine. So you could go for something like the Corsair HX-650.
        Really? I have an OCZ 600W at the moment and assumed that was well below what I'd need (although I couldn't use it anyway due to lack of 6-pin connectors)

P.S. I have a few large case fans as well, but I guess they barely draw any power to be of concern lol.
        Last edited by Ricko97; 16-07-12, 21:18.

Comment

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=49823

Comment

before splashing on a 2nd GPU, I always recommend installing MSI Afterburner and monitor cpu usage, gpu usage, and vram usage whilst gaming so you can see where any bottlenecks are.

The reason I say this is if you've got the 1gb version of the 560Ti, and you're hitting that vram limit rather gpu maxing at 100%, then adding a 2nd card won't gain you much as you won't be doubling the vram available.
            --
            Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceboy View Post
              before splashing on a 2nd GPU, I always recommend installing MSI Afterburner and monitor cpu usage, gpu usage, and vram usage whilst gaming so you can see where any bottlenecks are.

The reason I say this is if you've got the 1gb version of the 560Ti, and you're hitting that vram limit rather gpu maxing at 100%, then adding a 2nd card won't gain you much as you won't be doubling the vram available.
              Ah, now thereby hangs a tale I posted a thread a while back asking about SLi and whether or not a second card would be worthwhile. I seem to recall you explained this there as well, and I've pretty much done what you suggested here. I played Skyrim over the weekend with Afterburner running (mainly to attempt a small amount of overclocking on the card, but that's besides the point). My meagre 1GB of of VRAM gets eaten up pretty quickly in a game like that (I have the HD texture pack, so it's expected).

What I was planning on doing was getting this: http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/...roductId=50255 to use as a primary card alongside my current 560 Ti (the Twin Frozr III version of this: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=43660)

I know it's fractionally slower and would "downclock" my second card as a result, but I figured the overall speed boost and having twice the VRAM available via the EVGA card would be worth it. I probably wouldn't need to upgrade my PSU if I replaced the card altogether, but I'm going by the logic that better PSU = more upgradeability (if that's even a word) for the future.

Am I on the right path?

Comment

Unfortunately that won't work... when you SLI the 2 cards together you'd only have 1gb of vram, which as you know, Skyrim maxes pretty darned quick, especially with HD textures.

In theory you could run Skyrim on the single 2gb card on its own, and for other games use both cards in SLI, but honestly I wouldn't recommend it - it's extra hassle and you'd be losing out on a lot of potential in both situations.

Imo, selling the 560Ti and going for a single card is probably your best bet... 7870 / 7950 should be about in budget.
                --
                Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

just because the main card has more memory doesn't mean you will be any better off.

the second card will still run out of memory and be limited and will limit the first card.
                  Thermaltake Element s - Q6600 @ 3.6ghz @ 1.48V - Corsair H50 - 6GB RAM - GTX260 192Core @ 729/1458/1224 - ATI 3450 - Biostar Tpower I45 - Corsair Force 60GB SSD - Samsung f3 500GB apps - Xigmatek 700W NRP-PC702 - 3x 17inch screens - windows 7 64bit

Comment

Damn, foiled again!

I didn't realise that's how the limitation on memory works. In that case, selling and upgrading sounds like the better thing to do.

Thanks guys, just one more question - is an OCZ 600W sufficient for a 7950 or an nvidia equivalent?

Comment

Originally posted by Ricko97 View Post
                      Thanks guys, just one more question - is an OCZ 600W sufficient for a 7950 or an nvidia equivalent?
                      Plenty, new cards have lower power consumption
                      --

Comment

Splendiferous, cheers!

Comment

Working...
                        X