Corsair TX650 loud!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corsair TX650 loud!

Just got a Corsair TX650 power supply in and noticed that it is hamming like a turbine, it gives me 40+ dcb at idle and up-to 70+ under the load... it is not normal i think.... because on corsair website it says it shouldnt go above 45 at full load... is there something i can do? is controller broken?

Is the fan hitting anything to make it that loud? Don't open up the power supply as that's pretty dangerous and will void your warranty.
    Intel i5 3570k - ASRock Z77E-ITX - Corsair H100i - Exceleram 8GB 1600MHz - 2x Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB SSD - Samsung 840EVO 1TB SSD - Asus 960 Strix - Silverstone 500W SFX-L - NCASE M1 - Dell U2414H
    Lenovo Yoga 11S - Intel i3 3229Y - 128GB SSD - Intel HD4000 - 11.6" IPS Screen

Comment

no it doesnt hit anything it has no obstructions what so ever because a fan is facing the bottom of the case (define R3), yes i tried to turn it over - there is no difference.

Comment

First I've heard a TX 650 doing this, if its new just send it back for a replacement.
        CPU:Intel I7 3770K 5GHZ |CPU Cooler:Noctua NH D14|RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance White LP|MB:Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3|GPU:Asus GTX 980 Strix OC|PSU: Corsair AX 750|HDD:2x Corsair 240GB Force GS| 2X WD 2TB Red|Sound Card:Asus Xonar HDAV|Speakers:Sony STR-DN850+Yamaha Speakers+Tannoy TS2.10|Mouse/Keyboard:Corsair K95/M95|Case:Corsair 500R|

Comment

it's new but i cant afford to lose PSU this week coz of the exams ;/

Comment

well put up with it till exams are over or it catches fire

Comment

you sure its getting enough air?

flip the psu over so you know the fan has room to breath which most dont if they are fitted fan down in the base.
              "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
              Plato

Comment

Mine used to do that but only because i was running a heavily clocked i7 950, and a heavilly clocked gtx 580 and it was outputting more wattage than it was rated for.. its now powering my server and its nice a quiet

Comment

pretty sure won't be as loud as 70Dba what's your system spec's?

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

I have 49478 bundle, m4 ssd, 1tb seagate barracuda, palit 670gtx, fractal design R3, samsung BD-Combo

I cant really tell how loud it is coz i am using android app for that, but the psu is the only audible thing (when at idle) in my pc and it as loud as my previous pc (which ironically has same psu model only previous version) at load ;/

I will swap PSUs around tomorrow to see if there will be difference.
                    Last edited by Vladimir; 21-05-12, 01:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Vladimir View Post
                      but the psu is the only audible thing (when at idle) in my pc and it as loud as my previous pc (which ironically has same psu model only previous version) at load ;/

so... the psu is the ONLY thing audible in your super silent rig? have you watercooled everything using 900rpm noctua fans on the radiators?

photos please

personally i think its your gelid cooler strugging to cope with the IB OC ( i dont know what ventilation in the R3 is like but I know it isnt as good as many others considering its more 'silent' target)

otherwise you either just unlucky with one of the highest commended PSU around

OR see above.
                      Last edited by I3R0K3N7FEET; 21-05-12, 15:36.

Comment

oi!

play nice dude

my money is still on the psu choking for air as there is not enough space under the case with its smallish feet.
                        "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                        Plato

Comment

Originally posted by marsey99 View Post
                          oi!

play nice dude

my money is still on the psu choking for air as there is not enough space under the case with its smallish feet.
                          tell me off when I don't have a point...

no it doesnt hit anything it has no obstructions what so ever because a fan is facing the bottom of the case (define R3), yes i tried to turn it over - there is no difference.
                          having experience with this psu it is a strange one, corsair PSUs arent perfect and ive known a few issues pop up as with any, but my point stands, these PSUs are highly commendable and to have the 'same' issue with the original and the V2 version of the TX650 is either 'unlucky' or he is obviously doing something wrong. Am I wrong for pointing that out?

I have 49478 bundle, m4 ssd, 1tb seagate barracuda, palit 670gtx, fractal design R3, samsung BD-Combo

I cant really tell how loud it is coz i am using android app for that, but the psu is the only audible thing (when at idle) in my pc and it as loud as my previous pc (which ironically has same psu model only previous version) at load ;/

I will swap PSUs around tomorrow to see if there will be difference.
                          to me that is just strange.

Comment

Originally posted by I3R0K3N7FEET View Post
                            tell me off when I don't have a point...

having experience with this psu it is a strange one, corsair PSUs arent perfect and ive known a few issues pop up as with any, but my point stands, these PSUs are highly commendable and to have the 'same' issue with the original and the V2 version of the TX650 is either 'unlucky' or he is obviously doing something wrong. Am I wrong for pointing that out?

to me that is just strange.
                            I said that the original is much more quiet than the v2 - that was my complain - that the more advanced psu is louder that it's predecessors'... i am not an idiot.

Comment

snip
                              and it as loud as my previous pc (which ironically has same psu model only previous version) at load ;/
                              I said that the original is much more quiet than the v2 - that was my complain - that the more advanced psu is louder that it's predecessors'... i am not an idiot.
                              Sorry I misunderstood the above quote, bad place to insert brackets maybe.

I never called you an idiot, If I did please point it out and I will apologise for that too.

my points are valid till you confirm otherwise which you have not yet done. I said 'i think its your gelid cooler struggling with the IB OC' which is known to be fairly hot, and combined with a case that is intended for 'silence' rather than outright performance, it is a relatively sound analysis. IF it is your power supply, as you point out, then it strikes me as strange as it should be able to cope with that setup fairly well.

You have stated that you have flipped the PSU to have the fan facing up, and stated it made no difference.

you have also stated

I cant really tell how loud it is coz i am using android app for that,
                              which makes less than zero sense to me. android app for what? and why cant you tell how loud it is? you have stated that the only thing making a noise in your 'inaudible' PC is the PSU?

I am interested in helping but most of what you're saying is inconsistent. yes I misunderstood some things you have said, like corsair PSUs im not perfect either..

Comment

Working...
                              X