Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSU Recommendations for a Server and HTPC...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU Recommendations for a Server and HTPC...

Hi guys

I was wondering if you could give me some help please...

I've two new systems I'm looking at getting a PSU for and I'm wondering what to do...

I've read countless amounts of reviews for PSU's and I'm still no further forward..

I've been told that with the low wattage that I will be drawing, I will be wasting my money with 650W models and that I should be looking at something nearer to 300w maybe up to 400w... By low wattage currently my server takes no more than 80w at peak when on. When the hard drives turn themselves off, it drops to 50w. I've not been able to test my HTPC as I've not got a cooler for the CPU I have with it.. I'm hoping it doesn't require that much more power either...

I have been looking at a few and with intent on buying once and not twice, I don't want to waste my money as I'd prefer to spend more rather than spend twice to get something. I have been looking at these few PSU's

Huntkey Jumper 300W PSU 80Plus Gold Certified
    Antec VP 350W PSU
    Antec 380W EarthWatts Green PSU
    Be Quiet BN185 Efficient Power 350W

I have looked at a load of others to varing from a Corsair HX650 to HX750W (due to the number of SATA connections) but I think that could be overkill on something, even tho the efficiency is so good with the units. I'd prefer a modular unit but most modular units are still 500w + and seem to excessive for what I need?

So can anyone help me out here?? It's driving me mad at the moment!!

Depending on the parts your only going to be looking for around 100-200 watts.

It doesn't matter is you can't ind a lower one as it will only draw the watts it needs.

I have an a63500 ssd Asus f1itx something hdd DVD drive and ram with 2 fans and it only draws 87 watts max so far.

If its going to be on a lot go for a high efficiency one gold or silver at least. As spending a bit more now will save electricity in the long run.
    Intel i5 4670k | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming | G-skill Sniper 8gb | EVGA ​670 FTW + KFA 670 EX OC | Crucial M4 128gb | Noctua NH-D14| Silverstone Raven 2| Corsair tx 650w

Comment

Right well if I give you the specs maybe that might help a little more?? I mean I'm just looking for something that's not going to kill my electric bill off should I forget to turn it off or blow up on me...
      Right specs for the Server:

Asus E35M1-M Pro with E-350 CPU and the small fan that comes with the board
      74Gb Raptor (Its going to be changed for a Crucial M4 64Gb SSD from Tuesday...)
      2 x 1.5Tb F3 Sammys
      2 x 2Tb F4 Sammys
      Samsung DVD-RW drive
      2 x 2Gb G Skill Trident DDR 3 2000Mhz - I've taken this out of my one of my i7's so I could get it working.. I've got some Muchkin that I bought from Aria I'm not sure if I should use all 8Gb or just one stick...
      4 low power 120mm fans

At the moment I'm using a Thermaltake 600w unit to power it, it was all I had laying about and like I say, I haven't seen anything over 80w being pulled that I know of yet...

For my HTPC I have:

Asus F1A75-M Pro
      AMD quad core with 6550 GPU (I think, I can't remember the model!!)
      Coolermaster EVO cooler (that's coming tomorrow!!)
      Crucial M4 64Gb - That's coming tomorrow!! Was going to test with another 74Gb Raptor
      1Tb F3 Sammy for storage/space
      Sammy Blu ray drive

I've got a FSP 350W PSU spare here, but I was wondering if it was a good enough unit to use?? I hate power supplies I've had two PC Power and Cooling models and they have both gone bang
      I have been told to get a 300w model and then use splitters etc, but I thought that wasn't good to do for the PSU?? Please correct me if I'm wrong!!

Any advice would be amazing and thank you in advance

Comment

I'd save my money and use the Thermaltake on the htpc and the FSP the server.
        They're both reasonable.

Comment

The only problem I had with that is that I need to get another PSU for my boys two PC's!! I've built a rig for my girl friends brother (QX9650, Asus board (don't remember the model!!) 2Gb ram and a 8800 Ultra) so need something to go in that, something to go in my boys AMD 64 rig (which I have a Coolermaster 650w for the moment) and so I might need only just one more PSU, so would I be better off putting a new PSU in my server and then using the FSP in the HTPC rig or what??

Comment

One of the gold rated be quiets would be ideal for either the server or the htpc.
            That's what I'd go for.

Comment

Thanks IanS I was looking at this and wondered if it would be ok?

http://www.************/products/350...t-fan-atx-v231

I apologise to the mods if linking to an outside place isnt allowed, but Aria don't stock it that I could see

Now I'm normally dead against using extensions or splitters etc with PSU (hence looking at a bigger wattage unit) but I'm told since that the hard drives hardly take any power at all, linking up an extra 10 or so wouldn't be a problem at all.. I'm a little concerned but other than that, would this PSU be ok for supporting 12 hard drives and the rest of my system without giving me issues??

Comment

I'd want at least a 400W if you're hooking up 12 hard drives.
                If it's going top be on 24/7 then I'd opt for http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=45779
                If it is not going to be on all day then you're probably better of saving a little cash and getting something like http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=49505

I wouldn't worry about using splitters for hard drive power other than looks.

Comment

The poor motherboard can only handle 5 SATA's and I've ordered a PCIE card that will give me another two, so 7 in total.

It will be kept on more often than not because of the quietness and the low power consumption.. From what my 762 rig was pulling last night playing L4D 2, I could leave this on for over 13 hours compared to its one hour!!

Wouldn't the 500w be a bit over the top or would it just be a better unit because of its efficiency? If I was going to go down that route, I would possibly consider a modular unit because then I wouldn't have more cables plugged up than I'd need to.. Would the 530w model I have already ordered be best then for my server? I bought this: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=46237 There are a few Be Quiet Efficient Power PSU's for sale. They seem to all be over the 90% power rating, very awesome!!

I've found some nice braided cables for the hard drive splitters, so I don't mind too much about them

Comment

Doesn't make much if any difference getting a more powerful PSU than needed, as they will only use what the system pulls from them.
                    The Gold rated ones are 90% efficient compared to the Bronze being 80%, so it may be better to get a Gold rated if it will be on most of the time.

Comment

See now why would my friend stress at me for putting in a bigger PSU if that was the case?? Very odd...

Anyways, Gold rated it is I don't like to think I do things cheaply or half assed so I'll take a look around and see what I can get. I would prefer modular so that might give me a few less options which would be good!!

Would Be Quiet be one of the best PSU's to go for?

Comment

I personally like the Be Quiets, but the Corsair (other than CX series), Seasonic and FSP Gold rated are equally as good IMO.
                        I find it's best to size a PSU so the maximum draw is less than 75% of its capability, after taking into account its efficiency, as some can get a bit noisy when near to their limit and for better longevity / future proofing.

Comment

Originally posted by phill View Post
                          See now why would my friend stress at me for putting in a bigger PSU if that was the case?? Very odd...

Anyways, Gold rated it is I don't like to think I do things cheaply or half assed so I'll take a look around and see what I can get. I would prefer modular so that might give me a few less options which would be good!!

Would Be Quiet be one of the best PSU's to go for?
                          The reason being because PSUs are most efficient between 25% and 75% loading. Putting in a 750w PSU and only drawing less than 15% of it would put it out of the efficiency zone. It obviously isn't much of an issue but it seems a little pointless and will cost you more in electricity. That's the reason bud.
                          ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post
                            I personally like the Be Quiets, but the Corsair (other than CX series), Seasonic and FSP Gold rated are equally as good IMO.
                            I find it's best to size a PSU so the maximum draw is less than 75% of its capability, after taking into account its efficiency, as some can get a bit noisy when near to their limit and for better longevity / future proofing.
                            Well I've decided to give the Be Quiet Efficient Power 350W unit a go for both HTPC and Server rig. For the server I will have to get a few more SATA connections, so I've picked out a molex to 4 SATA connections for about 7 a cable. It comes braided so hopefully that will make it look a little decent

Originally posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
                            The reason being because PSUs are most efficient between 25% and 75% loading. Putting in a 750w PSU and only drawing less than 15% of it would put it out of the efficiency zone. It obviously isn't much of an issue but it seems a little pointless and will cost you more in electricity. That's the reason bud.
                            Hey Brendan Well we can't have me wasting money can we?? I think I might need a bigger unit for the boys rigs after testing the 580 and i7 last night mate!! 650w it was taking for the rig!! Gonna try and put the other 580 in in a bit weeee (gotta love these smilies!! )

Comment

Working...
                            X