psu for Fujitsu Esprimo E5915 SFF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• psu for Fujitsu Esprimo E5915 SFF

a number of weeks ago i bought from aria the fujitsu esprimo e5915 sff.

i fairly quickly changed the supplied avi graphics card for a sapphire 11166-02-20R HD 5450 1GB DDR3 PCIE HDMI graphics card.

plugged into my plasma hd telly, everything was working very sweet.

i loaded on all the usual progs that i use often and stored a few movies on the hdd. all fine and dandy.

then 1 morning it failed to boot up. pressing and holding the button did not make any difference.

i removed the hd graphics card and refitted the original avi one. it booted up and worked fine - without being able to connect via hdmi. so i refitted the sapphire card again and once again all was working very well.

however, when i went and swictched it on again recently, the same problem arose. it fails to power up.

i'm not at all suprised as the requirement stated in the hdmi card is a 500w psu.

i think it is now time to change the psu.

i would not know which type of psu specifically i need. i searched ebay for a 500w silent psu and the prices atart at under a tenner. when i searched on aria i'm asked about modular, non modular, etc.

aria prices are a little scary to say the least, especially as i'm not even sure which type i would require.

any recommendations for a cheap and quiet psu would be most welcome.

Hello, I'll clear up a few things for you first

Modular is a PSU where all the cables come separately and you can plug them in individually depending on what you need.
    Non - Modular is a PSU where all the cables are attatched and they are generally more messy but a bit cheaper.

You want a quality branded PSU, cheap PSUs from companies you've never heard of are much less reliable, don't give out the power they say they do and when they die (Which is quite often) they have a tendency to take a lot of your system with you.
    Personally I can recommend Corsair and BeQuiet however Antec, Seasonic, Antec and XFX are all generally make very good PSUs.

I would get this if you wanted cheap as possible:
    http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=45457

And this if you wanted modular:
    http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=46237

Personally I think that the BeQuiet PSUs are very good and have used that PU in my mates build with no problems, it's a very good PSU
    Hope that helps a little!
    I5 2500K @ 4.7GHz| Maximus IV Extreme | 8GB Predator DDR3 | Crossfire Radeon 5850| BeQuiet! L8 630W | Corsair 700D
    Razer Lachesis | Razer Black Widow

Comment

"Fail to boot up" - in what way? Just no power or windows not loading?

I'm not entirely convinced the PSU is the issue since the 5450 is very low power draw, what's the wattage of the one already present? - According to an auction site this is 250W which I'd have thought would be enough for a lower power PC, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Next time it happens try disconnecting ODDs and HDDs and see if it powers.

EDIT: Also, you need a SFF PSU. A full size ATX PSU will not fit.

EDIT 2: Wait no, doesn't look like that one is replaceable. It's proprietary. Your only option is to investigate other potential causes of the problem.
      Last edited by spleenharvester; 22-04-12, 12:56.
      Dell Vostro 3560 | Intel Core i5-3380M | 8GB RAM | HD4000 graphics | Sandisk SSDPlus 120GB | Windows 10 Pro

Comment

If it is the psu then get one off ebay.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

the original psu is oddly shaped and is 250w. i do not think that the psu's i've seen for sale will fit in the space.

i am not at all sure that the psu is at fault.

the machine fails to boot up. when i press the power button i can hear what sounds like the hdd for about 2 seconds then all goes silent. a single tiny light is on beside the power button.
          i tried disconnecting and reseating things from the motherboard and the same with cable connectors.

i have left it in to a reputable local repair shop hoping they diagnose the problem.

Comment

Yeah it will be a specific psu you need if it is the PSU, plenty of spares on ebay, hopefully this PC shop dont charge you loads as the PC itself isn't worth much.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

i eventually got around to my local pc repair shop who diagnosed a faulty psu. they charged me 10 only so i was happy enough.
              i contacted aria and they gave me a rma number for the return, etc. tonight i removed the 5450 hd graphics card i fitted, and was intending on trying to save things from the hdd. i was going to remove the hdd and fit it to a caddy to do the back up but i thought i'll try booting it up one last time and hey presto, it works.
              i have now updated several programs, windows and restarted it several times. the machine seems to be working fine connected to a monitor, but without a hd outlet, i can't connect it to my plasma. this means to my reckoning anyway, that the psu is not at all faulty. maybe i need to find a hd graphics card that can be run from a 250 watt power supply.

any further suggestions would be most welcome at this frustrating and testing time.

Comment

Why not just buy a new PSU and perhaps a cheap case? getting a lower grade card seems silly when you could replace the power supply and use the card you've bought; ending up with a better powered system?

I'm not sure there's even a card out there that will run on 250W.... 250W only really just cuts it for the essential stuff (CPU, motherboard, hard drive, ram etc,)
                Originally posted by andyn
                Trick in most cases seems to be to get in early, and get out early. Pump and dump.
                PC: - i5-3570k, Mushkin 64gb SSD, 8GB Vengeance, MSI Twin Frozr III 7850.
                Laptop: - Asus N55SF, Core i7-2670QM, GT555M (2GB).

Comment

Originally posted by Cosford View Post
                  Why not just buy a new PSU and perhaps a cheap case? getting a lower grade card seems silly when you could replace the power supply and use the card you've bought; ending up with a better powered system?

I'm not sure there's even a card out there that will run on 250W.... 250W only really just cuts it for the essential stuff (CPU, motherboard, hard drive, ram etc,)
                  His is a proprietary board. And, you would be surprised, I've had an 8800GT/X2 5000+ working perfectly on a decent quality 300W PSU before. It's more about amps.
                  Dell Vostro 3560 | Intel Core i5-3380M | 8GB RAM | HD4000 graphics | Sandisk SSDPlus 120GB | Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Working...
                  X