This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget_addict View Post
    I went with Corsair, Seasonic and XFX. XFX because they make a cloned Seasonic 850 that is 2/3 of the price of the real Seasonic 850.

i wouldnt touch xfx after the whole gpu problems they had even if they are just different branded seasonics
    Gigabyte Z77-UP7 : Intel Core i7 3770k @4.2ghz : 16GB Kingston Corsair Vengence 1800mhz : Mushkin 480GB Cronons + OCZ 120GB Vertex 2E SSD : 640GB WD : Corsair HX 850W : GTX Blackice 360 rad Rasa CPU block: Gigabyte R9 290: Coolermaster HAF X :Logitech G15 + G500

Comment

Corsair, OCZ, Seasonic

Had rock stable psus from all three of them, could have over volted them, and done bad stuff to them and they would have coped!

Comment

Enermax, Silverstone and Corsair.
        Enermax are the best, but one of the most expensive

Comment

I didn't see any Arianet Black series in the poll. Is this one not good enough to be in the list. thinking about to get one of this # 39798. Anyone has any experience with this one before?

Comment

Originally posted by jaff90110 View Post
            I didn't see any Arianet Black series in the poll. Is this one not good enough to be in the list. thinking about to get one of this # 39798. Anyone has any experience with this one before?
            No it's not good enoguh. Only suitable for a very cheap build really (if that). Branded ones are worth the extra cash like Corsair etc...
            What's your specs?
            MSI Z77A-GD65 | i5 3570k | 8GB Mushkin Blackline | 500GB Samsung 840 Evo | 2TB WD Black | MSI 660ti Power Edition | Zalman Z11 Plus

Comment

Has anyone know the brand call Color -iT ?

Added after 3 minutes:

Originally posted by slater View Post
              No it's not good enoguh. Only suitable for a very cheap build really (if that). Branded ones are worth the extra cash like Corsair etc...
              What's your specs?
              My spec
              Asus M2N-SLI
              Kingston Hyper X 6GB DDR 2
              HDD 500 GB sata II Seagate
              XFX 8500 GT 512 MB

I'm going to get a new GPU ATI 6850 1GB
              what PSU do you think it should go for it and I will upgrade to core i 5 2500 k as well .
              Last edited by jaff90110; 21-04-11, 12:12. Reason: Auto edit by merge post

Comment

Has anyone know the brand call Color -iT ?
                Yes. Its not reputable.

Added after 3 minutes:

My spec
                Asus M2N-SLI
                Kingston Hyper X 6GB DDR 2
                HDD 500 GB sata II Seagate
                XFX 8500 GT 512 MB

I'm going to get a new GPU ATI 6850 1GB
                what PSU do you think it should go for it and I will upgrade to core i 5 2500 k as well .
                You'll be fine with a 500-600W power supply, one with a rough translation of spending 10 per 100W you require.
                Main Rig: A8 7670k @4.5GHz // Gigabyte F2A88-XM D3H // 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz // Sapphire Nitro R9 380 // Samsung 850 250GB // Samsung F3 500GB // EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 // Dell U2312HM // Zowie EC2
                Dell Inspiron 15 Special Edition:
                i7 3612QM // 6GB RAM // 7730M // Samsung 840 250GB // Backlit K/B // 1080p Panel // Soundblaster Evo Wireless

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  PC Power & Cooling - Turbo Cool Series, the Sillencer Series are slightly more OCZ influenced, and not as good i don't think! (this is my personal fav, however may not sell all that well, but if paying top end prices for 860watt (ish) PSU's i want a top quality unit not just a wattage cranked budget unit)

So for the purpose of the Poll.....

Corsair has got to be in there, because they are simply good and i bet sell well.

Seasonic generally good solid cost effective units, with a good history of stability

Antec in picking this one i'm looking at progress, and antec have been making some good changes to their ranges, and make solid units as well as powerful units.

Picking 3 were not so easy from that list, and then their are those that will look at the single vs multi rail option, and i think i have a good mix there, Corsair use a hybred single design if i remember correctly, whereas Antec are multi rail dedicated

Despite picking those three in the poll, my personal prefference remains PC Power & Cooling, i'm just not sure how much of that expertise has filtered through to OCZ or been heeded, as they still seem hell bent on advertising things as silent or quiet, when quite obviously they will not be !! and marketting gimmicks to gain attention, PC P&C always had a simple approach, plain box, emphasis on stability, even at the cost of a little extra noise sometimes. Although those are not as likely to sell as well

Added after 3 minutes:

The biggest problem as i see it is to be able to keep the range down, whilst still being able to provide an option to cover most pockets, my choices are going to give you similar prices....... not ideal for you
                  PC Power and Cooling have stopped being good for quite a while now. Here's an article I was reading earlier:

http://www.overclock.net/power-suppl...r-cooling.html

Their reputation was what made me get the original Silencers but the first one I got stopped working and I since received two replacements that ended up faulty. One even blew up according to the person I had sold it to and that was a brand new unopened unit...

CPU Cooler Round up

Comment

the 3 i have are all pre-OCZ involvement, i have little confidence in OCZ as a company full-stop, and am disappointed that what many feared might happen has happened and the PC P&C Brand has been cheapened and undermined and left in what now feels like the dark ages, with no development of their products, they may not have been right about everything they put on their "myths" page, but they sustained a good product quality until OCZ contaminated them
                    Last edited by Gunslinger; 22-04-11, 00:11.

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"
                    - EPIC EULA M$ !...... thanks, but no thanks! - GWX Control Panel

Comment

Originally posted by Ice Tea
                      Seasonic

End of topic so close it.
                      lol, i'm sure antec and a few others might have something to say about that !

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"

Comment

No Thermaltake here?
                        Antec, Corsair and Silverstone all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                          the 3 i have are all pre-OCZ involvement, i have little confidence in OCZ as a company full-stop, and am disappointed that what many feared might happen has happened and the PC P&C Brand has been cheapened and undermined and left in what now feels like the dark ages, with no development of their products, they may not have been right about everything they put on their "myths" page, but they sustained a good product quality until OCZ contaminated them
                          I agree although my silencers were pre-ocz as well .

CPU Cooler Round up

Comment

they were either Sparkle or FSP made then (i think FSP swallowed up sparkle) there is some good info and additional links in that page you linked earlier.

The silencer range for me was alwasy an odd one, because i struggled to see what it brought to the table compared to the Turbo-Cool range already available, and in fact, i went for the 860 when i had the choice, the Silencers were inferior design and build quality to the win-tac built turbo cools, still had the same noisy 80mm fan, weren't modular (although PC P&C always argued that was bad) while most of the rest of that price range were, it had average to good specs and results but was nothing stellar, hence the reason the price fell sharply on them, initially released in different guises carrying different approvals (xFire vs SLI) which always made me suspicious of the internal component/build quality. I am not surprised they are considered so-so now.

It seems OCZ tried (and failed) to squeeze out every penny based on the name they bought into, instead of learning about design and build quality - some of PC P&C's advertising and marketing policies might have been slightly dubious, but the quality of the products was never in doubt until OCZ came along.

I picked up a Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR not long ago, that is likely to be going into my rebuild, leaving me with the 860 as a spare - which i might sell on.

One thing that PC P&C did start using, and i think some others did too, whcih died fairly quickly was ESA (Enthusiast System Architecture) which always struck me as an intriguing development/idea. It is mainly Nvidea supported i believe
                            [blurb from their website - i do like the way they leave end of life items up there]
                            ESA-Ready power supply supports temperature, current, and voltage monitoring, allowing enthusiasts to diagnose component-specific issues without the need for trial and error. ESA can help guard against the risks associated with overclocking by monitoring your system's functionality and inner environment. Inside the PSU is a proprietary daughterboard - engineered and manufactured by PC Power & Cooling - that provides the ESA functionality. A USB 2.0 cable to interface with the management software in included with the complete array of connectors.
                            and
                            ESA is an open industry standard developed by NVIDIA that enables PC components (chassis, power supplies, and water cooling systems) to communicate their status in real-time. This emerging standard makes it possible for enthusiasts to supervise system characteristics that are not otherwise accessible.
                            http://www.pcpower.com/technology/es...-supplies.html

Comment

I remember ESA. To be fair, the Turbo Cool PSUs were in a class of their own with a price tag to match!

Back when I bought my Silencer, PC Power & Cooling were deemed a Tier one manufacturer along with Enermax. After mine failed, I splashed out on the back then newly released Revolution 85+ and it has served me well since then.

CPU Cooler Round up

Comment

I think Nifty still has his PC Power Silencer 750W, took it apart too.

I remember they were all the rage for a while.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

Working...
                                X