Older Corsair HX650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older Corsair HX650

So just before my tower went into long term hibernation (roughly around the time my oldest son began to crawl... EARLY! -Thanks a bunch, kids!) I upgraded my setup to a 2x 6850 crossfire setup and with that a HX650 PSU

which then sat around doing jack squat ever since...

it's one of the original Blue, Seasonic HX650's and I'm trying to work out if it's likely to be OK in my 'New' rig...
    (New in quotes because I bought the main parts Mobo, CPU, RAM, nvme ssd, when Ryzen 5 1600 was current...)

So here's my pro's and cons:
    pros:
    Corsair HX series is rock solid and won't fry my system even if the PSU is older
    650W even degraded a chunk is still way overkill for a 65W TDP CPU and a single 6-pin GFX card
    it may be older than it's 7 year warranty, but it was used for maybe 10 hours in total.

cons:
    old. (not old for a decent PSU but...)
    That gen of HX was a group regulated PSU which apparently doesn't perform so well on newer HW (not sure how much of an issue this is without a high end GPU...

so really... Am I worried about nothing, or is it really likely to not mix well with the new hardware. I have no problem ebaying it and getting a RM/RMX/CXM unit. I don't need a lot of power, a 550 would do me fine, but the costings seem better for the 6/750W variants as in there's not a lot in it. a CX650M would certainly do the job, for now at least
    Ryzen 5 1600:: GA-AB350-Gaming 3:: <some other stuff>
    [STILL BEING BUILT!!!]

so really... Am i worried about nothing
    yup :d
    Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
    Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleTop View Post

yup :d
      yup to what?
      worried about nothing and a R5 1600 and mid tier GPU will be fine?
      or get something else and don't let the group regulation darken my doorstep ever again?
      [STILL BEING BUILT!!!]

Comment

Maybe I missed it - but what's the spec of the new PC ?
        CPUs afaik haven't changes a huge amount in power draw - you just get a lot more bang per watt.
        GPUs otoh I think are a fair bit more power efficient.

Either way I imagine you'll be fine so long as you're not running a high-end gfx card and a massively overclocked i7/i9
        --
        Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceboy View Post
          Maybe I missed it - but what's the spec of the new PC ?
          I probably should have been more explicit... it's in my sig (not entirely finished yet... still deciding on a GPU and I also hinted in the OP:
          Originally posted by Mr. Grapes View Post
          ...(New in quotes because I bought the main parts Mobo, CPU, RAM, nvme ssd, when Ryzen 5 1600 was current...)
          so in the absence of any doubt, it's a Ryzen 5 1600 (may upgrade to a R7 3xxx or maybe a 4xxx if they stay compatible with AM4 and my mobo gets an appropriate BIOS update but that's a ways off anyway)
          Gigabyte AB350 Gaming3
          16GB Crucial Ballistix
          nvme SSD
          a spinning rust disk (seagate barracuda or other normal SATA3 drive)
          GPU to be decided (I'm optimizing towards video editing - I rarely game much now and when I do it won't be anything too demanding. And vegas pro supports NVENC so likely a mid range GPU with NVENC support which means probably a 1050 or 1060, maybe a 950/60 (could probably get away with lower but i'd still like to have SOME gaming capability for you know, when Half Life 3 comes out ). I'm not planning on spending too much on the card anyway.

There's currently a 6-pin power HD7790 holding the fort until it gets replaced.

I plan on overclocking a bit, but nothing crazy. If I can hit 4GHz i'd be delighted, but not going to go crazy trying. I'm only on the stock wraith anyway for now so probably won't be able to take it too far
          [STILL BEING BUILT!!!]

Comment

If you want to save money then i'd stick with the HX650 until it stops working. I have a PC Power & Cooling 700W which is around 11 years old. It runs a Ryzen 1200 and a 1060 with no issues.

Comment

Yeah I think the delta between what I can reasonably get for it on ebay and the cost of a newer CX-M or RM unit would be between 25 to 40 quid which doesn't sound a lot but I'm really strapped for cash at the moment and need to get this rig running before it loses any more value sitting around...
              the main worry coming from the "don't use group regulated designs" camp is that newer/higher end GPU's place really spiky demands on the PSU which Group designs can't handle but DC-DC converter designs are much better at

TBH I'm less worried about it being a corsair than I would be if it was a random other brand. in which case i'd just get rid. I need to flog some more stuff though. just nothing i have to flog is worth anything... (Phenom II 955 anyone? GTX460? HD6850? Hmm? no?
              [STILL BEING BUILT!!!]

Comment

Working...
              X