Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PSU for Cross-fire

Hey all,

Yesterday I was given a second 7870 (exactly the same gigabyte one as mine) from a friend who just upgraded. So i figured to save money and prehaps edge a little more oomph out of my system (until i absolutely HAVE to get a new set-up) i'd cross-fire it.

Problem is i have no idea what sort of PSU i should be looking for - i assume a few more watts but thats it.

my current set-up:

I5-3570K (OC'd)
    Hd Gigabyte winforce 7870
    gigabyte Z77-D3H mobo
    8gb ram
    550w XFX Pro Bronze PSU

Could anybody recommend what sort of psu I should be looking for ?

Thanks

7870s were not power hungry cards, i would throw them in with a 550w unit and see if it works tbh

i think they only sucked around 120/150 per card so say 300w for 2 of them. unless you have a monster oc or dozens of fans and pumps and usb devices i doubt that 8gb of ram and a 3570k is pulling 200w.

the real question (imo) is how many amps that psu has on the 12v rails. but i imagine most 600w units would be plenty.

as for the brand, well i like superflower but they have had some issues of late with the way they are delivering the 12v to the cpu. the good evga and corsair units are rated high as are seasonic.

but i would try it first
    "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
    Plato

Comment

Originally posted by luke22 View Post
      7870s were not power hungry cards, i would throw them in with a 550w unit and see if it works tbh

i think they only sucked around 120/150 per card so say 300w for 2 of them. unless you have a monster oc or dozens of fans and pumps and usb devices i doubt that 8gb of ram and a 3570k is pulling 200w.

the real question (imo) is how many amps that psu has on the 12v rails. but i imagine most 600w units would be plenty.

as for the brand, well i like superflower but they have had some issues of late with the way they are delivering the 12v to the cpu. the good evga and corsair units are rated high as are seasonic.

but i would try it first

cheers for the quick response and suggestions!

The cpu is sat at 4.6ghz, which to me is huge, but in terms of power...no idea.

i've a couple of fans/few usb items and teh corsair H100 cpu cooler being used.

as i typed this response out I had a thought that, i've got a power meter plug somewhere in the house i could have prehaps used to gauge the pc at load!

anyway thank you again!

Comment

Should work, depends on age and output of the 550w xfx.

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

If it was a brand new pc I'd say get a bigger PSU, the fact you are just boosting old hardware to keep yourself tidded over for a bit, I agree with the above.

As it's a branded PSU worse case it shouldn't nuke your components, best case your PC runs fine. If you start getting random blue screens or shutdowns, probably best to replace the PSU.
          GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Working...
          X