How much power am I using?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much power am I using?

Can anyone recommend a free piece of software to tell me how much load I am putting on my PSU please? I need to upgrade as mine is only 400w and I imagine it is running somewhere near 100% but would like to see how much power I am using beforehand as it seems to be coping at the moment. I want to get a new cpu cooler too but don't want to put too much extra strain on the PSU so plan to upgrade both at the same time. The Asus mobo software tells me the voltage on each rail but unless I have missed something it doesn't tell me what capacity it is running at.

FYI, its an Enermax Liberty 400w (modular - although I think that's what the Liberty bit explains)

Originally posted by therealmrhead View Post
    Can anyone recommend a free piece of software to tell me how much load I am putting on my PSU please? I need to upgrade as mine is only 400w and I imagine it is running somewhere near 100% but would like to see how much power I am using beforehand as it seems to be coping at the moment. I want to get a new cpu cooler too but don't want to put too much extra strain on the PSU so plan to upgrade both at the same time. The Asus mobo software tells me the voltage on each rail but unless I have missed something it doesn't tell me what capacity it is running at.

FYI, its an Enermax Liberty 400w (modular - although I think that's what the Liberty bit explains)

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
    Is my new Kingston flash drive on drugs?

i

Comment

Cheers, will check that out when I get home for lunch

Comment

Interesting, going by that, if i swapped my 4890 for a 5770, swapped one 7200 drive for an ssd and swapped the led 120mm fan for a standard fan, id be saving over 150w of power, down from 585w to 432w

A quarter less power usage for a better machine, hmm indeed !
        Running the London Marathon 2014 for MS-UK, need to raise 2000, please support my bid by texting LZAZ76 plus ?amount? to 70070 ! ... Or via https://www.justgiving.com/luke-zasikowski

Comment

Originally posted by therealmrhead View Post

Not a software solution but there are energy monitors available that plug in inbetween your PC and the wall socket.

I tested my PCs here

some very interesting results imho.
          I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by wonderlust View Post
            Not a software solution but there are energy monitors available that plug in inbetween your PC and the wall socket.

I tested my PCs here

some very interesting results imho.
            i got one too

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Ah presumably this is just a standard energy monitor used for any electrical appliance. I might see if I can get a free one from the electricity supplier.

Comment

yes paid about 6-7 for mine at Lidl
                I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

you have to remember that's what it's drawing from the plug, the rated wattage on the psu will be the output (which will be about 85% of the input)

Comment

I'll be checking the actual load on the PSU to see what size I need to upgrade to. The enery monitor would just be to check the amount of electricity I'm using. Will probably end up plugging it into every single electrical item in the house. I want to check the difference in power usage between my LCD TV and a standard CRT TV for one.

Comment

That calculator suggests I am using 364w and recommends 414w so maybe its not such a rush to get a new one after all.

Comment

hi mate, get one of these:

Plug-In Power, Energy & CO2 Meter

type in google, first link

got one myself it's pretty good.
                        CPU:Intel I7 3770K 5GHZ |CPU Cooler:Noctua NH D14|RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance White LP|MB:Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3|GPU:Asus GTX 980 Strix OC|PSU: Corsair AX 750|HDD:2x Corsair 240GB Force GS| 2X WD 2TB Red|Sound Card:Asus Xonar HDAV|Speakers:Sony STR-DN850+Yamaha Speakers+Tannoy TS2.10|Mouse/Keyboard:Corsair K95/M95|Case:Corsair 500R|

Comment

Thanks but I was only really out to find out what power my PC consumes in terms of possibly needing a more powerful power supply. I probably will pick one of those up at some stage and that's a decent price too.

Comment

Working...
                          X