PSU for a NAS build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU for a NAS build

What power supply wattage would I need for a 5 drive (sata) NAS build?
    It will have a Pentium 4 @ 3GHz (I think), a gig or so of DDR and onboard graphics (I'm using old components).

I have a couple of generic 550W sitting around somewhere, would one of those do or would I need something bigger & better?

Cheers.

i7 920 | 8GB DDR3 | R9 280x 3GB | OCZ 500W | 120GB SSD | 1TB F3

Hi i'd get a decent power supply like this one m8:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=34003
    CPU:Intel I7 3770K 5GHZ |CPU Cooler:Noctua NH D14|RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance White LP|MB:Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3|GPU:Asus GTX 980 Strix OC|PSU: Corsair AX 750|HDD:2x Corsair 240GB Force GS| 2X WD 2TB Red|Sound Card:Asus Xonar HDAV|Speakers:Sony STR-DN850+Yamaha Speakers+Tannoy TS2.10|Mouse/Keyboard:Corsair K95/M95|Case:Corsair 500R|

Comment

I would use what you have mate myself

Comment

Id use one of the ones you have as well, your not putting anything demanding on it (ie less than 200W) so it should be more than fine.
        Removed my picture as I have now sold it all

Comment

Underclock and volt the CPU and get one of those BeQuiet mini-ITX PSU's ?

Comment

Currently running a server with a 1.4GHz Athlon, and 7 IDE drives off a 400W psu.
            No power issues so far
            --
            Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

What o/s are you guys using on your NAS builds. I would like something that is very quick to boot. Perhaps i should look into linux?

BFM
              Fractal Designs Define XL; Intel i5 2500k; Antec Kuhler 920; 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz RAM; XFX HD5850;
              Corsair TX750M PSU; ASRock z68 Extreme4 Gen3; Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD; Intel 320 120GB SSD; 2 x Samsung 1TB
              & Loving it

Comment

Ok cheers, I'll give it a shot with the PSU I have and see how that goes.

Originally posted by Terbinator View Post
                Underclock and volt the CPU and get one of those BeQuiet mini-ITX PSU's ?
                It's an OEM board so I doubt there will be any chance of underclocking, which is a shame to be honest.

Originally posted by BurningFeetMan View Post
                What o/s are you guys using on your NAS builds. I would like something that is very quick to boot. Perhaps i should look into linux?
                I'm intending on using a linux based OS, something like FreeNAS or NASLite.

i7 920 | 8GB DDR3 | R9 280x 3GB | OCZ 500W | 120GB SSD | 1TB F3

Comment

The 550W would do fine, but if you have anything smaller I would go with that. Reason being it will run cooler. Like someone else said, 200W should do it. What make is the board? Some boards have power saving software which helps. I'm sure you've already done done it, but check all the stuff like C2, C4, intel speedstep etc are set in BIOS. You can maybe even undervolt the CPU.

For my NAS I'm doing everything to get it to run low, as I will have the thing on 24/7 and that electricity stacks up over the year

Comment

Working...
                  X