My mobo wants an 8 pin cpu +12v connector :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My mobo wants an 8 pin cpu +12v connector :(

The new motherboard I got has an 8 pin cpu +12v socket but my PSU only has a 4 pin cpu P4 connector.

Is there some sort of adaptor I can buy to make it fit? like those 20 to 24 motherboard power adaptors?.

Or am I looking at buying a new PSU with a 4+4 CPU connector?

Further more is a 650W PSU sufficient to run 2 5850's in crossfire?
    ATI site says it needs a 600W PSU to run in CF, other sources are saying you need at least a 750W?

Some guidance please Guru's

The Motherboard is an MSI P55 GD65
    Last edited by Nomad2k3; 17-08-10, 22:11. Reason: Mobo type
    CPU / Processor: Intel core i5 760 - CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPs10X - Motherboard: MSI P55 GD65 - Memory: 8GB Mushkin Enhanced BlackLine Frostbyte 2133Mhz - Hard Drive(s): 120GB Samsung 840 ssd - Graphics: VTX3D X-Edition Radeon HD 7950 OC - OS: Windows 7 64bit - Case: Coolermaster HAF XB - Overclocking Details: i5 760 @ 3.8Ghz - Monitor(s): 2x Acer 24" 1080p

Just put the 4 pin in, it will work fine.

And what make PSU do you have regarding the Crossfire?

Comment

The four pin will work fine, it shouldnt matter.

Originally posted by coiler
      Then go all out dogging, after i've finished rimming of course

Comment

Originally posted by SeanBond View Post
        Just put the 4 pin in, it will work fine.

And what make PSU do you have regarding the Crossfire?
        ATM I have some random named EZ COOL 650w thing that cost me 60 from a local shop about 2 years ago, its lasted well as my machine has been online for 95% of the time in the past 2 years.

Before that was a crappy Antec 550w which lasted about 3 weeks before it popped, but I bought it from a p*world store which is some 45 miles away so didn't even bother to take it back, it only cost 35 and fuel there and back would cost as much.

Im looking to buy a Corsair 650w for the CF setup once I plug for a second card, but will be a few weeks away yet.
        CPU / Processor: Intel core i5 760 - CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPs10X - Motherboard: MSI P55 GD65 - Memory: 8GB Mushkin Enhanced BlackLine Frostbyte 2133Mhz - Hard Drive(s): 120GB Samsung 840 ssd - Graphics: VTX3D X-Edition Radeon HD 7950 OC - OS: Windows 7 64bit - Case: Coolermaster HAF XB - Overclocking Details: i5 760 @ 3.8Ghz - Monitor(s): 2x Acer 24" 1080p

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad2k3 View Post
          ATM I have some random named EZ COOL 650w thing that cost me 60 from a local shop about 2 years ago, its lasted well as my machine has been online for 95% of the time in the past 2 years.

Before that was a crappy Antec 550w which lasted about 3 weeks before it popped, but I bought it from a p*world store which is some 45 miles away so didn't even bother to take it back, it only cost 35 and fuel there and back would cost as much.

Im looking to buy a Corsair 650w for the CF setup once I plug for a second card, but will be a few weeks away yet.
          EZCool one will explode, and the Corsair 650w will eat anything you throw at it.

So yes the 650W Corsair will be fine.

Comment

Cheers lads, ill fork out for some quality then, better safe than sorry huh,
            The corsair also has a 4+4 pin cpu too.

Thanks

Comment

Search "4pin to 8pin cpu" on the bay, you could use one of those if you want.
              Removed my picture as I have now sold it all

Comment

Originally posted by Pepp77 View Post
                Search "4pin to 8pin cpu" on the bay, you could use one of those if you want.
                There is no point, as the PSU will be giving everything it can though the 4pin anyway, hence why it only has a 4pin.

Comment

Yeah I saw it fits the socket, but I wasnt sure I could just plug it in, and after a little light googleing brought up a few horror stories of melting connectors.

Ill just order a corsair psu tommorow and give the new rig some power <3

the old kit can go in a media case and live under the tv till it dies.

Comment

Ye do what Seanbond said. I wouldn't think about running a 5850 on a cheap psu never mind crossfire

if you want a modular one then get this:

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/...roductId=39858
                    CPU:Intel I7 3770K 5GHZ |CPU Cooler:Noctua NH D14|RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance White LP|MB:Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3|GPU:Asus GTX 980 Strix OC|PSU: Corsair AX 750|HDD:2x Corsair 240GB Force GS| 2X WD 2TB Red|Sound Card:Asus Xonar HDAV|Speakers:Sony STR-DN850+Yamaha Speakers+Tannoy TS2.10|Mouse/Keyboard:Corsair K95/M95|Case:Corsair 500R|

Comment

I had an enermax melt doing the 4 into 8, took some digging out of plastic to make the board usable again

A few years ago, a PSU with a EPS connector as they were for server boards was a pretty penny or two. Save more or borrow to get that new PSU as quick as possible.

I must be lucky, the ezcool in the office machine is three years old now ....

....it'll go bang within 2days now wont it

DT.
                      Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
                      Forum Guidelines here

Comment

good price for a good psu.

Comment

yeah ill deffo go for some quality, that xfx looks funky

yeah DT my EZcool has served me well, and im kinda surprised its still going with being perma run for some 26 months or so, but will be my luck if i plug it into my new kit it will pop and take out the mobo,cpu well... the lot.

hopefully it will live a few years more with the old dual core and 8800gt as a media machine

Comment

Just plug the 4-pin in, it'll be fine unless you're overclocking and overvolting a 6 core...if you are, then look for a different PSU, or do what I did and make a molex>4 pin converter for the other side two. (Although if you have multiple 12v rails that probably won't work, they don't like being linked)

Comment

Working...
                            X