I broke my Saitek ecplise keyboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I broke my Saitek ecplise keyboard

I spilt hot coffee all over my keyboard, it still works apart from the left shift key which now doesn't work.

Hi unscrewed the board and it's a mesh type keyboard with a rubber overlay, then several layers of thin clear plastic, some layers with circuits on like on any normal circuit board.

There was a bit of moisture in there so I took a hair dryer to it to try and dry it out but after plugging it back in the left shift key still doesn't work. There doesn't appear to be anything else obviously wrong with it, but admittedly I don't know what I would be looking for.

Any ideas what could cause that?

If not, any one recommend a good keyboard? I've had a quick look and I can see some of the mechanical gaming keyboards go from like 60+ not sure I want to spend that much, 40 maybe. I've never used a mechanical keyboard anyway.
    GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

I can highly recommend a mechanical keyboard and could never go back to a membrane board.

I have a Filco Majestouch 2 and Corsair K65 but you can get tenkeyless mechanical boards for as little as ~30.

For gaming purposes Cherry MX red switches are generally recommended although personally I tend to prefer blues/browns.
    Other brands of switches have different colour codes, however with Cherry switches they are as follows:

Black - Linear & Heavy
    Clear - Linear & Medium
    Red - Linear & Light
    Brown - Tactile & Non Clicky
    Blue - Tactile & Clicky
    Desktop: Intel i5-4690K | 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI | EVGA GTX 660 3GB | Windows 10
    Server 0: Gen8 HP Microserver | Proxmox Hypervisor Server 1: Gen8 HP Microserver | FreeNAS

Comment

i think a big chunk of the forums are already mech converts so getting good advice on domes might not be as easy

i have a couple but love my ducky with browns. i really enjoy using reds but find the ease of typos far too great xD

i have used cherry mx, saith and some other one, and tbh i can only tell the colours from each other. maybe the brands matter with life span (time will tell) but for normal use i think they're much of a muchness.

i think i only paid 28 for the zalman k500 which is great for gaming on
      "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
      Plato

Comment

I got an mx black keyboard for free ages ago, I like it but if it died suddenly then I'd probably just get a cheap logitech keyboard to replace it, just not as bothered about mechanical or not as some people seem to be.

Comment

I didn't realise there was so much to keyboards. I found some generic brands etc on the big river for 30-40 tempted to take a punt on a cheap one to try it out.

Probably spill coffee over it at some point anyway.

I'm gonna have another go at fixing mine first though read up a bit on how the membrane works.
          GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Damn, it's a minefield out there, fakes etc.

Struggling to find a mechanical sub 50
            GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Originally posted by BUDFORCE View Post
              Damn, it's a minefield out there, fakes etc.

Struggling to find a mechanical sub 50
              Worth it.

They last for ages and they're easy to repair ie you can buy and replace individual switches and sets of keycaps.
              Desktop: Intel i5-4690K | 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI | EVGA GTX 660 3GB | Windows 10
              Server 0: Gen8 HP Microserver | Proxmox Hypervisor Server 1: Gen8 HP Microserver | FreeNAS

Comment

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Peri...roductId=64525

Okay, went for the above from Aria, I'll know it's genuine plus I still get my lifetime free delivery. Look forward to it.

The 5 year warranty is also a plus.
                GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Originally posted by BUDFORCE View Post
                  https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Peri...roductId=64525

Okay, went for the above from Aria, I'll know it's genuine plus I still get my lifetime free delivery. Look forward to it.

The 5 year warranty is also a plus.
                  Wouldn't mind one of them myself but with the mx black switches.
                  Why did the chicken cross the road?
                  To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

For what it's worth I had a mechanical (still use it for gaming) but for working I went to an ergonomic membrane keyboard as I was starting to get pains. It helped a lot and I wouldn't go back to a regular shaped keyboard in a hurry for typing.
                    i5 2500k | 16GB RAM | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC | 256GB + 240GB SSDs | 1TB + 3TB HDDs | Define R5 Black | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz + BenQ 24" 1080p 144Hz

Comment

Originally posted by Joshimitsu91 View Post
                      For what it's worth I had a mechanical (still use it for gaming) but for working I went to an ergonomic membrane keyboard as I was starting to get pains. It helped a lot and I wouldn't go back to a regular shaped keyboard in a hurry for typing.
                      Take a look at the ErgoDox

Comment

Working...
                      X