Logitech Aquire Saitek - Joystick/Controller Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logitech Aquire Saitek - Joystick/Controller Thread

"Logitech has just purchased Saitek, the company known for its seriously heavyweight flight (and space) sim controllers and accessories, for $13 million (around 10 million)"

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...saitek-1328755

I'm interested to see what the next generation of flight controllers will look like...What with VR about to become huuuge (probably) and some pretty interesting space flighty games on the way (I'm thinking maybe Star Citizen and the inevitable Rogue One tie-in) there is going to be a significant increase in demand for joysticks - I've often looked at the higher end Saitek flight controllers but concluded that they are simply too expensive for casual gaming (I doubt getting in bed with Logitech is going to change that)

Until this morning my only 'Stick (used mainly for the old Star Wars space combat sims and Mechwarror) was a Saitek 3d Evo Gold but today I picked up a minty fresh Sidewinder Precision 2 from the Salvation Army for 10 - My favouritest Joystick ever was the original Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro and I'm hoping the Precision 2 compares.

I'll have to do some in game testing tho before I 86 the 3D - Saitek are a really good company imo - I've owned quite a lot of their gear over the years, I loved my P2600 rumblepads... I liked the price of the Cyborg Keyboards (tho not their style) and my current joystick has been perfectly adequate.

Thing is I'm also a big Logitech fan - Their gear always looks so damn smart and smexy - like a bad-*** presidential bodyguard or something. Plus their Warranties and RMA teams are cracking (or at least have been on the occasions I've had to deal with them) so I'm thinking this can only bring good things to the table.

Soooo;

Is this a groovy move for Logitech?

Is there really going to be a new generation of joystick wagglers?

What is the best PC joystick you've owned?
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5.AMD FX8150 @3.5Ghz. 8Gb Mushkin Redline, MSI 7950 TFIII BE, 120Gb Mushkin Chronos + 256Gb Crucial M4 + 2x2Tb F3 Spinpoint Eco-Greens + 1x 3Tb Seagate. Antec 900 Watt PSU . Windows 10 Pro

Not one for joysticks and such but my first real gaming peripheral was the Saitek Eclipse:

i5 2500k | 16GB RAM | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC | 256GB + 240GB SSDs | 1TB + 3TB HDDs | Define R5 Black | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz + BenQ 24" 1080p 144Hz

Comment

Groovy move for Logitech? Probably... Saitek might become less of a running joke now they're no longer owned by Madcatz

Joystick wagglers? Yes... I've been training some of them myself

Best joystick? Well it's not made by Saitek, all their stuff falls apart on me or just plain stops working

I'm currently very happy using a dual Thrustmaster T1600M setup to play Elite though
      Why did the chicken cross the road?
      To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

I'm currently rocking a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for Elite, but waiting patiently for the Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Hotas to come out next month along with the 2.2 update on Elite.

Good move for Saitek though as their HOTAS setups generally aren't renowned for their durability...

Intel i5-2500K @ 4GHz | 8GB DDR3 | ASUS GTX 970 | 500GB 850 EVO | Corsair H60 | Fractal Define S | Corsair SP2500 2.1 | ASUS 29" 2560x1080 IPS

Twitter / Instagram / YouTube

Comment

I've always been a fan of saitek stuff, but moved to Logitech because it was more durable.
          Hopefully we will get saitek thinking with Logitech quality and not the other way around
          Originally posted by coiler
          the trails is where life flows best
          Originally posted by coiler
          Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

[QUOTE=cruciate;2616349]I've always been a fan of saitek stuff, but moved to Logitech because it was more durable.
            Hopefully we will get saitek thinking with Logitech quality and not the other way around[/QUOTE

Pretty much exactly what I'm hoping for too
            Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5.AMD FX8150 @3.5Ghz. 8Gb Mushkin Redline, MSI 7950 TFIII BE, 120Gb Mushkin Chronos + 256Gb Crucial M4 + 2x2Tb F3 Spinpoint Eco-Greens + 1x 3Tb Seagate. Antec 900 Watt PSU . Windows 10 Pro

Comment

I've always used Logitech for decent quality at a good price point.

Durability has always amazed me - still using a G15 at least 8 years later and must've had this mouse (MX510) for a similar amount of time
              --
              Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

I don't use fancy gaming kit but I have been through dozens of keyboards, webcams, mice, headsets and stuff from Logitech. (I am a great believer in trackballs, where Logitech has no competition that I have found.) The manufacturing quality is good but Logitech is a mainstream brand, which means that it is in general slow to respond to changes.

For example, it has not updated various Firefox addins to reflect the need for signed extensions. As result, Firefox disables them.

It also takes months to respond to updates in Windows.

To sum it up, hardware good, software iffy.
                Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
                Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
                Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Originally posted by michaelkenward View Post

To sum it up, hardware good, software iffy.
                  Agreed with this, the G15 support is still pants, and no chance of updates now it's stopped being manufactured (the original G15 anyway).
                  --
                  Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Thustmaster make great joysticks.

My hotax X best one ever owned and still going strong.

And I also still use a Saitek Eclipse keyboard, again still going strong.

Logitech, pffft, rubbish.
                    GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Working...
                    X