Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best cooler for i7 3770K?

Hi

I'm just upgrading / sidegrading my i7 930 to an i7 3770K (while it still has a bit of value)

My question is what would be the best cooler with headroom for overclocking. The CPU should be arriving today so I will use the H50 I currently have to start with.

My specs :-

Asus P8Z68-V/PRO/GEN3
    8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
    Zotac 480GTX AMP!
    Asus D2X
    Cruicial M4 256gb + Corsair 120GB Force 3 + Seagate 2TB HDD
    Cooler Master Storm Trooper Case

I know the 3770k runs hot but I got a good price. I'm not sure if the H100 will fit in the case. Or an alternative air cooler?

Thanks

Noctua NH-D14 is about the best, unless you want water cooling.

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post
      Noctua NH-D14 is about the best, unless you want water cooling.

I'm happy to go closed loop but I think thats as far as I would go with water cooling.

Comment

What cooler do you have on the 930? I can't imagine the 3770 runs any hotter then that. Can the cooler be used on different sockets?
        i7 2600K @ 4.5| Asrock Z68 Extreme4| 16GB 1866Mhz Crucial Ballistix |AMD R9 290| 120GB SSD |Win7 64bit

Comment

Says he has a H50, i would just clean it out and see if it fits.

As mentioned the i7 930 is a hot chip, the 3770k wont be any hotter OC'ed.

Maybe get a new fan for it in push/pull if you havent already, knock about 3C off.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

Originally posted by Finners View Post
            What cooler do you have on the 930? I can't imagine the 3770 runs any hotter then that. Can the cooler be used on different sockets?
            I have a corsair H50 which I have on my 930 @ 4.2GHz

Originally posted by El Wayneo View Post

Maybe get a new fan for it in push/pull if you havent already, knock about 3C off.
            I have 2 Noctua 120mm fans on the H50 in a push/pull, it says it fits on a 1156 so can't see why it wouldn't fit

Comment

see how you get on with that then.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

should work fine

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

It will fit I currently use a h50 on socket 1155, may as well keep it and use the 50-70 you would spen on a cooler on something shiney!
                  i7 2600K @ 4.5| Asrock Z68 Extreme4| 16GB 1866Mhz Crucial Ballistix |AMD R9 290| 120GB SSD |Win7 64bit

Comment

phase, its the best cooler to run that cpu overclocked 24/7
                    "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                    Plato

Comment

Originally posted by marsey99 View Post
                      phase, its the best cooler to run that cpu overclocked 24/7
                      Phase? model? Link? Air Cooler?

Comment

http://www.ldcooling.com/shop/ld-pc-...l-suction.html
                        "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                        Plato

Comment

AH! Maybe a little overkill (and very much over budget!)

Comment

yes, but also the best way to cool a cpu, or anything you want to stick it to

it would keep your cpu at -30c even if it was running 5ghz+
                            Plato

Comment

Originally posted by El Wayneo View Post

This, if not then just get a Noctua NH D14.
                              CPU:Intel I7 3770K 5GHZ |CPU Cooler:Noctua NH D14|RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance White LP|MB:Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3|GPU:Asus GTX 980 Strix OC|PSU: Corsair AX 750|HDD:2x Corsair 240GB Force GS| 2X WD 2TB Red|Sound Card:Asus Xonar HDAV|Speakers:Sony STR-DN850+Yamaha Speakers+Tannoy TS2.10|Mouse/Keyboard:Corsair K95/M95|Case:Corsair 500R|

Comment

Working...
                              X