Blu-Ray Drive Recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blu-Ray Drive Recommendations

Okay guys needing some help, I'm looking for an internal Blu-Ray drive for watching films and burning some backups. I've read a lot of reviews and most of them are mixed, not really bothered about software as I can always buy that afterwards, so any recommendations ?

Twitter | YouTube

Main Rig
    i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz | Corsair H100 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Silverline | EVGA GTX 670 4GB | 1TB Hitachi | 2TB Samsung Spinpoint | 64GB Crucial M4 | 60GB Mushkin Chronos | Corsair Ax 850 | NZXT Switch 810

I reckon they are all much of a muchness. Just go with whatever brand you prefer the most.

Perhaps look at what they are capable of though. Some can burn up to quad layer disks (128GB) and some cannot.
    ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Re: Blu-Ray Drive Recommendations

I used to have a Samsung bluray drive which failed after 3months, and that's light use.

Since then I've been using LG's bluray drive and its still working perfectly fine. So yeah I'd go for a LG one.
      CPU:Intel I7 3770K 5GHZ |CPU Cooler:Noctua NH D14|RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance White LP|MB:Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3|GPU:Asus GTX 980 Strix OC|PSU: Corsair AX 750|HDD:2x Corsair 240GB Force GS| 2X WD 2TB Red|Sound Card:Asus Xonar HDAV|Speakers:Sony STR-DN850+Yamaha Speakers+Tannoy TS2.10|Mouse/Keyboard:Corsair K95/M95|Case:Corsair 500R|

Comment

I have an Hitachi/LG drive and it's been absolutely fine for me with the tasks you want yours for. These are writers though and hence more expensive.

Comment

no point in burning proper back ups, 50gb discs are like 5 each, might as well buy the retail version twice.

but as above, either panasonic or LG for me, used a few of each in HTPC builds for peeps and they are all still going.

Edit: Actually just seen you can get 50 x 50gb for 116 so just over 2 each really, not that bad.

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/...roductId=49076
          Last edited by El Wayneo; 13-12-12, 12:11.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

I own a bluray drive and I wish I'd just got a bluray player instead.

I type 90 WPM, Click Here to try
            i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | R9 290| 16GB Ram @ 1600mhz
            Nikon D5100 + Kit Lens + 50mm 1.8G - 16-35mm F4 VR // Ultrasone PRO 2900s - Audio GD NFB-3.1 - Neco Mosfett Amp

Comment

All pretty much the same, i have a samsung, loud when doing high speed reads (installing/copying stuff), quiet when watching films. Bare in mind i have a phantom case so the front is covered by an extra layer.

I think the main thing to consider is the bundled bluray licenses, its worth the extra 10 over OEM packages just to get yourself an extra licence worth 40

Comment

Originally posted by Naphta View Post
                I own a bluray drive and I wish I'd just got a bluray player instead.
                Any reason mate ?

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll have a look about for the LG one then

Twitter | YouTube

Main Rig
                i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz | Corsair H100 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Silverline | EVGA GTX 670 4GB | 1TB Hitachi | 2TB Samsung Spinpoint | 64GB Crucial M4 | 60GB Mushkin Chronos | Corsair Ax 850 | NZXT Switch 810

Comment

Originally posted by ScottishPhoenix View Post
                  Any reason mate ?

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll have a look about for the LG one then
                  Because after you pay for fully supported software its no cheaper

I type 90 WPM, Click Here to try
                  i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | R9 290| 16GB Ram @ 1600mhz
                  Nikon D5100 + Kit Lens + 50mm 1.8G - 16-35mm F4 VR // Ultrasone PRO 2900s - Audio GD NFB-3.1 - Neco Mosfett Amp

Comment

Originally posted by Naphta View Post
                    Because after you pay for fully supported software its no cheaper
                    Have to agree, if it is just for playing back then get a stand alone player it is much easier, I had a drive in my HTPC and got rid for an external one and couldn't be more happier (and this is coming from someone whose HTPC does 95% of his TV viewing).

However if you do want to burn then yes a PC one would probably be useful.
                    Removed my picture as I have now sold it all

Comment

Hmm okay looks like I'll be buying a Blu-Ray player instead, I can deal with not having a burner Thanks lads !

Twitter | YouTube

Main Rig

Comment

mate bought that the other day, is pretty good for the price.

plus you can ebay all the blurays if you dont want them.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/...-bdps185-discs

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

Originally posted by El Wayneo View Post
                          mate bought that the other day, is pretty good for the price.

plus you can ebay all the blurays if you dont want them.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/...-bdps185-discs
                          Yeah that's a good player, I got one of these the other day for 99:
                          http://www.richersounds.com/product/...bdps490-blk-mr

Awesome player, got 5/5 from WhatHIFI, plays all my MKV,M2TS files via DLNA NAS.
                          CPU:Intel I7 3770K 5GHZ |CPU Cooler:Noctua NH D14|RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance White LP|MB:Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3|GPU:Asus GTX 980 Strix OC|PSU: Corsair AX 750|HDD:2x Corsair 240GB Force GS| 2X WD 2TB Red|Sound Card:Asus Xonar HDAV|Speakers:Sony STR-DN850+Yamaha Speakers+Tannoy TS2.10|Mouse/Keyboard:Corsair K95/M95|Case:Corsair 500R|

Comment

Tbh, if your after a good player, get the 3d panasonic one st220 i think. Its 3d, comes with avatar 3d and titanic 3d, can sell them to recoup some of the 140 price. Its also multi region and highest rated player sub 200. Having said that they were low on stock when i got mine and that was a month back

Comment

Amazon usually has some good deals, especially on a nice toshiba one I saw before. They all usually come with some sort of free blu ray package, either in the box or claim via an online registration form. Getting a player is a good deal as it cuts out the software aspect that is very expensive and usually digs itself into your system, especially damn cyberlink.

Comment

Working...
                              X